It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus revising A320 software after SmartLynx accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
In February of 2018, a SmartLynx A320 was damaged beyond repair during touch and go training. There were four student pilots, an instructor, a safety pilot, and a civilian evaluator on board. Investigators found that a combination of factors caused the accident.

The fourth student was in the First Officer's seat when the aircraft lost elevator control. During the landing, the instructor was holding the manual trim wheel, keeping the horizontal stabilizer from going to neutral. There was a slight rebound on the landing, leading to a logic discrepancy in the elevator computers. One was in flight law, the other switched to ground law.

In addition, the computer recognized the manual trim being held as a runaway stabilizer. The override mechanism was supposed to activate three microswitches, while disengaging the pitch trim actuator. The mechanism had been serviced with the wrong oil, causing the switches to not activate correctly.

Airbus is developing a fix that includes making the elevator computer more robust, as well as mitigating the effects of the computer not recognizing a manual takeover of the trim wheel.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Does "there was a slight rebound on the landing" mean that the plane hit the ground and bounced?

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

There was a slight bounce, yes.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There was a slight bounce, yes.

Well, it sounds a bit scary but I guess I'd rather my plane hit the ground and bounce than hit the ground and not bounce. LOL

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   

The scary bounce was after they were able to get airborne again. The bounce that started the whole thing was with the gear down. After they were able to get airborne again, they retracted the gear, and sank onto the runway, bouncing back into the air at almost a 20 degree angle, before pitching pretty steeply nose down.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Anytime there is any kind of bounce involved in me being inside an airborne projectile, I'm opposed to that. LOL

At any rate, I don't fly so I don't even know what I'm doing here.

top topics

join