It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raptor v Typhoon question (yes another one)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It seems to me that the main problem in these posts deals with some peoples lack of knowledge or ignorance of the facts. Nobody on this board knows the true capability of the raptor because. A) We are not test pilots who took it to the limits and B) Did not design the bird. What we do know is the declassified, less than maximum values that we have found or been given. Some of us, including me, need to look at this one question. Why would Lockheed and the US government spend 20 years and billions of dollars to achieve anything less than superior and untouchable. We have always developed the most advanced toys in the world. Why would the raptor be any different. Anyone with a brain know that the US aerospace and military employ the absolute best engineers and mathematicians in the world today. Face it. The Raptor is the best, not even the shoty, nut and bolt, rivet looking MFI is within 15 yrs.

Look at the construction photos of the raptor from popular science inside the lockheed plant. Have u ever seen something so perfectly put together. There is absolutely no room for error. The manufacturing, materials, avionics, supercomputers in the nose, radar, 40g punchout weapons delivery, supersonic sustained cruise at mach 1.7 without burner. I mean COME ON people. I could go on and on, but it has been hatched up in previous forums. I think this has been beaten to death. Let the speculation end. Hell, an f-15 has never been shot down or and f-16 in air to air, not even an f-14, so what is the problem?!!?!?!?

Dont think for a moment that I hate or dont like the other countries planes. That is absurd. My point is very clearly.... The raptor was developed for one reason, air superiority over any nation for many decades to come. And that is what they have developed.

Big Bad Ass train

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
But by the same token a lot of us are also ignorant of the true capabilities of the Typhoon for the same reason, indeed I have read quite a few posts from people who are totally unaware that any really advanced tech is in it at all, which is absurd.
I don't doubt that the Raptor is the most advanced fighter overall by some distance, nor do I doubt that it is the best overall by some distance either, however being the best is a far cry from being invulnerable, which your post suggests. The topic I raised in this thread relates to how the Typhoon or even something similar MIGHT go about TRYING to gain an advantage in a combat situation, you don't think the other guy is just going to go 'here I am, please shoot me' do you?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Another thing you have to remember is that cruising in aerospace terms is not related to 'relaxed'. Sure you can cruise, but even at those high altitudes your going to have to provide more mass flow rate through your engine because of the lower density of air, hence provide more thrust through the air which will be dependent on the mechanical work of your engines...increasing your airplanes overall temp. which would be tractable on radar. Also, if your cruising beyond mach 1 your going to produce an increase across the surface of your vehicle due to shear stress from the flow of molecules attacking tangential and normal forces acting normal to the surface of the airplane. If that doesn't make sense think of shuttle returns from the exterior of the atmosphere. Shuttle travels very fast through the exterior of our atmosphere without causing a lot of increase in their temp because of the absence of the air molecules and other wind factors etc.

IMO, I believe both airplanes are marvelous creations, it's probably more or dependent on the pilot when ish hits the fan.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join