It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in History this happened on oct 20th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi is killed
On October 20, 2011, Moammar Gadhafi, the longest-serving leader in Africa and the Arab world, is captured and killed by rebel forces near his hometown of Sirte.

General MacArthur returns to the Philippines
After advancing island by island across the Pacific Ocean, U.S. General Douglas MacArthur wades ashore onto the Philippine island of Leyte, fulfilling his promise to return to the area .

Dick Fosbury flops to an Olympic high jump record
On October 20, 1968, 21-year-old Oregonian Dick Fosbury wins gold—and sets an Olympic record—when he high-jumps 7 feet 4 1/4 inches at the Mexico City Games.

Sydney Opera House opens
After 15 years of construction, the Sydney Opera House is dedicated by Queen Elizabeth II. The $80 million structure, designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon .

Mao’s Long March concludes
Just over a year after the start of the Long March, Mao Zedong arrives in Shensi Province in northwest China with 4,000 survivors and sets up Chinese Communist headquarters.

Watergate special prosecutor dismissed, starting "Saturday Night Massacre"
On October 20, 1973, solicitor General Robert Bork dismisses Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox; Attorney General Richardson and Deputy Attorney General Ruckelshaus resign in protest.

Kennedy secretly plans blockade of Cuba
On October 20, 1962, the White House press corps is told that President John F. Kennedy has a cold; in reality, he is holding secret meetings with advisors on the eve of ordering a blockade of Cuba.

U.S. Senate ratifies the Louisiana Purchase
On October 20, 1803, the U.S. Senate approves a treaty with France providing for the purchase of the territory of Louisiana, which would double the size of the United States.

Three members of the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd die in a Mississippi plane crash
In the summer of 1977, members of the rock band Aerosmith inspected an airplane they were considering chartering for their upcoming tour—a Convair 240 operated out of Addison, Texas

www.history.com...
More at

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Thanks for that. S&F

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

NATIONAL BRANDIED FRUIT DAY – October 20

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

The plane crash is probably common knowledge, but for some reason, it wasn't to me (I was 2 days short of 2 years old at the time of the crash, so I grew up with plenty of Skynyrd and Aerosmith.)

I mention Aerosmith because they had previously declined the services of the very same plane.

Here's an article about it

Apparently, the condition of the plane itself, and the crew, were questionable. There were many survivors of the crash. From the article, it sounds like they were negligent in emsuring adequate fuel, and then flubbed the emergency landing by trimming tree-tops.

Steven Tyler and Joe Perry  expressed great interest in wanting to rent the Convair CV-240. Still, the answer had to be “no” following a check-up on the plane done by Zunk Buker, one of Aerosmith’s assistants. Buker recorded seeing pilots McCreary and Gray “passing a bottle of Jack Daniel’s back and forth while his father and he were inspecting the plane.”

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
France was defeated by Wales in the 2019 World Cup, the Welsh didn’t recover from their intoxicated state for two days

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

NATIONAL BRANDIED FRUIT DAY – October 20

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
France was defeated by Wales in the 2019 World Cup, the Welsh didn’t recover from their intoxicated state for two days

Just 2 days ah those boyos must be slipping

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Aerosmith’s assistants. Buker recorded seeing pilots McCreary and Gray “passing a bottle of Jack Daniel’s back and forth while his father and he were inspecting the plane.”

Yip i remember walking to a plane once and thinking that pilot guy was the one unscrewing the top of a bottle of Rum the night before throwing the top away at a parachute club , he put the full bottle to his lips no glasses needed .

He had the hard neck to say to me the next morning as we taxi,d down the rumway
You would not catch me doing what you are doing

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

LOL - might have asked, "and to what do you refer, good sir? Jumping out of a percectly good airplane, or getting in one piloted by yourself?"

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

It was a good day that one , i got to fly for a little bit later on that day once he got the plane up , nothing special just a minute or so in the pilots chair , i remember also meeting a lady who was scared of heights that day , scared of going up a pair of work steps yet would jump out of a plane .

I was taught by a world class parachutist , who topped himself by parachute when the girlfriend ditched him

new topics

top topics

join