It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner tonight???i

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

All enchilada sauce is is pureed dried peppers thickened with a touch of roux. but using "fresh" dried peppers makes the flavor pop so much more than canned crap.

I made a pot of chili last weekend and did my own custom seasoning using some good malleable and not too dried new mexico chili's. I went a little mild since I was cooking for a crowd, and per a new tradition, tried my peppers before deciding the amount (I lit the same crowd up on accident a few months back).

The chili had way more depth, and since I used chili peppers I processed myself, they reconstituted and slow cooked into the dish as oppose to getting that sometimes mealy texture when you use too much store bought spices.

This was a micro batch I was experimenting with before I do a big batch once it gets colder.

Next time, I'm going to do a proper bean soak, add a decent amount of bone broth for depth and fat, and get a bit more ambitious on the custom spice blend, preferably everything bought in bulk and freshly grinded and toasted.

Did I mention once we got the chili to a low boil, we through it on the smoker for a few hours? Yea, that's happening a lot more.

Edit: As a transplanted Texan, I understand if I triggered you with talking about chili and beans in the same post... But I really like them in there.
edit on 16-10-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I won't make chili with beans, but ill sure as hell eat it.

If you get jalapenos, you can smoke them into chipotle's on your own. It makes fantastic peppers with no need for adobo sauce.

Now you got me wanting some chili.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
Oh? I see that you are from U.S.A and you have marvelous dark rye bread? That is awesome! I thought your "Bread" is always this white fluffy stuff that is more like a sweet pastry.

Oh, we mostly do have that sort of yukky bread....most restaurants, and stores.
And, TBH, many breads in grocers have been away from the oven far too long to be considered good eating.

But, I prefer rye bread every time, either light or dark.
Or pita bread....that is one white bread I do like.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I still do Texas reds with beef only for hot dog chili and when I miss getting really good frito pies in Central Texas.

But the beans help add some extra well needed hardiness when it gets real cold here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join