It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Wrist Video' Gives Israeli Army an Edge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050306/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_video_warfare

Here is some information on some new technology used by the Israel military. I was a little surprised to see that the Israelies developed this system themselves without apparent help from the U.S (who i assumed led the way in unmanned drone technology). Although the U.S will be using this technology in the future as mentioned in the bottom of the article as part of their "Gladiator" unmanned ground vehicles, so I suspect that there was some collaboration. Also another surprising fact was that the Israel military was using unmanned drones since the early 80's. Can anyone tell me if they were the first country to use unmanned drones?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Many millitary technologies pioneered in other countries, for example, the smart guided munitions were pioneered by Swedish Bofors, the Australian metalstorm etc.. but the American DOD has the incredible deep pockets to just buy all these firms or get the exclusive license and pretty soon people will think it's an American invention...

There is nothing wrong with this policy, it has proven very effective, but it goes to show that the rest of the world is not living in the stone ages as some people seem to think...

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I wasnt suggesting that america led the way in all aspects of military technology, and i was aware that other countries do develop systems that the american's dont have, i had just always thought of unmanned drones as having been developed in america. probably due to the reason you stated in your post. As i am not american myself i am pleased to see other countries pioneering new military technology as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So when can the US military expect it's first batch?

i mean, afterall, the US does keep the Israelli economy running, and we don't really get anything in return...

seems fair to me

[edit on 7-3-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
DARPA GRAND CHALLENGE, here in the US pretty much failed to get this tech from the private sector to the military. you'd think with all the brainiacs here, we coulda done it, but the longest traveling unmanned ground machine only made it something like 7 miles into the desert instead of the distance it was supposed to go. some didn't take-off, others went the wrong way or flipped over too easily, etc.

the wrist thing doesn't seem to be anything more than a development of palm-pilot tech, worn on the wrist, maybe.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by fledgling666]

top topics

join