It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How brutal were the British penal colonies in Australia?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   
In the late 1700s, up to 200,000 convicts were shipped off to British penal colonies around Australia.

It is also said that one in five Australians are direct descendants of convicts who were shipped to Australia to serve their sentence.

How brutal were these colonies?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
You’ve got to pick a pocket or two. a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRepublicOfCanada
In the late 1700s, up to 200,000 convicts were shipped off to British penal colonies around Australia.

It is also said that one in five Australians are direct descendants of convicts who were shipped to Australia to serve their sentence.

Ohhh, that would explain why Aussies are such bogans with bad attitudes then.

Now i get it.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: kingparrot
You’ve got to pick a pocket or two. a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

We built this city... We built this city on stolen rolls..

We built this city... we built this city.... On stolen rolllsss....

*everyone sing along*

Not sure of the point of the thread, but yeah, the entire world has history based on, you know, things like taking over someone elses land, stealing, amalgamating, influencing and outright stealing things.

Aren't we a nice lot?

now gimme your hut, or I'll club you with my tree branch.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
That’s only part of the reason... a reply to: CthruU

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

originally posted by: TheRepublicOfCanada

Ohhh, that would explain why Aussies are such bogans with bad attitudes then.

Now i get it.

When I was a kid, I was a bogan.. We wore desert boots, black jeans and flannel shirts, with an acca daca t-shirt.
We had mullets and listened to heavy metal like iron maiden and ac/dc. We smoked winnie blues, made kiwi buckets and had a bull pit named charger.

We fought against surfies, who lived in cottesloe, but we didn't know why. We drank emu export lager and drove holdens.

Why is this always no attributed to bad things

We were not flamin' westies, afterall.

--edited for details.
edit on 11-10-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   
😁 You should be watching the rugby not reading ats. a reply to: gallop

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Business at the front party at the back haha. I’ve got desert boots on right now. We also called em rollers. a reply to: gallop

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

😁 You should be watching the rugby not reading ats. a reply to: gallop

Gak, I don't get into sports. Badmington, I can handle, but it's not incessantly shown on 9 18 hours a day, with infomercials thrown in for filler.

Grown men arguing over a ball, in tight shorts, muscle clinging shirts and sweaty socks.. no thanks.. Oo

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Business at the front party at the back haha. I’ve got desert boots on right now. We also called em rollers. a reply to: gallop

Haha, rollers were the different ones, they had different stitching. Can't even buy the ones we used to wear.

When I used to buy 'em they were like $40 a pair, now you look, they're over $100. crikey..

I used to have hair so long too, that people would say I still had business at the front, party at the back, till I let the rubber band out.. and *woof* I was bloody cousin it... hair from backside to breakfast.

Comes from playing guitar.. had to have the hair.. I still have long hair, but more to keep the bald spot from being noticed.. oO

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   
That’s alright I’m out the back patting the dog but I know the score from the neighbours carry on a reply to: gallop

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

The lucky convicts made it to Australia, at least they had a chance of survival. The real bad destintion for convicts being West Africa, seen back then as a no returner

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Yeah the ones I got aren’t the same, they’re ripcurl I bought em at the airport to get into the qantas lounge cause thongs aren’t good enough any more. I had a denim jacket with iron maiden patches and megadeth all over it, sh@t mullet and sh@tter attitude but I’m still here a reply to: gallop

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

That’s alright I’m out the back patting the dog but I know the score from the neighbours carry on a reply to: gallop

Haha I'd be the bloke staring at the barbie going "When are the snags ready.." while sipping on a tinnie, and listening to you lot riot over every move made on the telly, and avoiding the dog incessantly sniffing my foot while it's saying "You.. You I know you!" as dogs do.. whipping me with his tail.

It's all good, encompass the differences I say.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Yes bloody oath I reckon bogans encompass differences better than most. a reply to: gallop

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Yeah the ones I got aren’t the same, they’re ripcurl I bought em at the airport to get into the qantas lounge cause thongs aren’t good enough any more. I had a denim jacket with iron maiden patches and megadeth all over it, sh@t mullet and sh@tter attitude but I’m still here a reply to: gallop

These are similar to what we used to have, but didn't have any marks on them..

Ahh the ol' battle jacket.. I went to see Metallica in '86 and got kirk, james and jason to sign mine, covered in patches... lars was an arse, and I only got him to sign my plane ticket, because I didn't think about it too much at 2am after a bottle of beam and a hell of a concert.. he grabbed me and said "Oh You're all wet." and I thought... "well youve been spraying the crowd with a water bottle in the front for half the show, yes.. yes I am.".. as he got into a van with some little harlots who could not wait to be 'drummed' I suppose.. lmao I lost my wallet a few years later in which I kept that keepsake.. *sad face*..

that battle jacket no longer fits me now, and the autographs have faded into obscurity.. man I wish those were the days of phone cameras..

Oi Oi Oi!

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
In a proper History thread, you would do some preliminary work on your own account and tell us.
On the evidence you've given so far, not brutal at all.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

These are similar to what we used to have, but didn't have any marks on them..

Ahh the ol' battle jacket.. I went to see Metallica in '86 and got kirk, james and jason to sign mine, covered in patches... lars was an arse, and I only got him to sign my plane ticket, because I didn't think about it too much at 2am after a bottle of beam and a hell of a concert.. he grabbed me and said "Oh You're all wet." and I thought... "well youve been spraying the crowd with a water bottle in the front for half the show, yes.. yes I am.".. as he got into a van with some little harlots who could not wait to be 'drummed' I suppose.. lmao I lost my wallet a few years later in which I kept that keepsake.. *sad face*..

that battle jacket no longer fits me now, and the autographs have faded into obscurity.. man I wish those were the days of phone cameras..

Oi Oi Oi!

The boots in the photo look a lot like what we called "Chukka" boots here in the US of A. I had a pair or two back in the 1970's.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Brutal, at least initially. Although the time has to be factored in - being poor in the UK was absolutely brutal at the time so at least in the Penal colonies you swapped dysentry, cholera, TB, chronic poverty and extreme violence for white sands, crystal blue waters and a nice climate......

I'd have rather been sent to Australia than back to the Workhouse or the slums......

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The height of fashion back in the day a reply to: gallop

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join