It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 Jeep Commander

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
First, I must be forthright, I know absolutely nothing about cars.

My present vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Tacoma, and though it is running okay now, it is just a matter of time before it won't be.

A family member has a 2009 Jeep Commander that he says I can have, but it needs a new engine.

This is where I need help. If it is going to cost me the same as buying a cheap small car, I don't see the sense in making that kind of investment in an eleven year old car.

I have researched the cost of an engine replacement and the prices are all over the place. I am terrified of Amazon, because a friend bought an engine from Amazon just about a year ago and has had nothing but grief with his purchase.

It is hard to make a decision when you know nothing about cars. All my friends know as much as I do, so no help is coming from them.

I thought why not see if you guys can help me .

So here I am.

Is it worth it?

How much should a replacement engine cost?

High ballpark ranges on pricing.

How much should it cost to have it installed?

How long should I expect it to last?

Thanks in advance guys.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I would weigh the costs of it against a cheap car personally. Just because you get a new engine, doesn't take mileage off the other components, primarily the (I assume) automatic transmission.

If you're looking for a cheap, and dependable car... May I suggest taking a look into older VW diesel cars in your area (manual preferred).

The diesel engines last longer, and if you get a manual, replacing the clutch in the later years doesn't hit you as hard as an automatic, or damn the car all together.

Edit... They also get wicked good fuel mileage (though diesel runs about 30-40 cents more)
edit on 1-10-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Jeeps are a ripoff, you are just paying for the name

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

My two cents. I drove a Mazda pickup BitD with a rebuild. I can't remember any concrete figures on cost, but it required visits to the mechanic. For the most part it'd be fine, then somehow Murphy's Law of rebuilt engines would be invoked.

All things considered, I would keep looking before I did it again.

"You can have the car...it just needs a little fixing" would be great IF you were a mechanic.

Get a vehicle that runs from day one. Don't put any money into a "this could end up being a great deal".
edit on 1/10/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/10/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

If it ends in 7 it shouldn't be driven.

Swapping out a motor is never as simple as it sounds, even with the most experienced of mechanics.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I haven't been looking, and that really is not wise on my part. I know it is just a matter of time before my truck goes.

I don't drive that often or that far anymore, but when I need to go, I need to go, so I need a reliable vehicle, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

I will look into the VW, but from what I understand, even used ones can be a bit pricey.

Thanks for the help.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleFox

You won't get an argument from me.

Two things I think people pay way too much for, cars and watches. They both serve a function, it should be about the performance, not what it looks like, in my book.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I usually regret not going with my gut.

My gut is telling me that this just might not be the deal I wish for it to be.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It has a toyota tranny but....no get a Toyota....or a Honda unless the Toyota has a wet timing chain. A Toyota and you will never friggin ever have to spend any money on it. They always pass inspection, always....put T6 diesel oil in it....in everything no matter what you get. T6 diesel oil in anything is the thought these days. Especially a small engine! The paint on Toyotas is the best. Too!
edit on 1-10-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I will look into the VW, but from what I understand, even used ones can be a bit pricey.

I saw you said you still have your truck, but you just have an itch it's on her last leg.

Set up a search criteria for Autotrader (private seller only if you can), craigslist, and any other local classifieds you may have.

Set your self an absolute top price. Tell yourself the highest mileage you're OK with, (I suggest diesel for engine longevity, but many gas cars make it to 250-300k these days), and if you can drive a manual, get a manual.

Be in control of this one, and give yourself time to make the right decision. If you allow a situation for yourself to get cornered, I can almost promise you'll be unhappy with what you get forced to get based of necessity.

And above all, before you make the purchase.... RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!

PS: You were right about cars and watches being something people spend too much money on... And that's because they don't find a utilitarian product. They don't research, they don't put in the time to find the right thing, and they end up allowing them to get stuck with whats available (although no one really needs a watch, I haven't owned one since I was 15).

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I'd go with a Toyota if you want reliability, sustainability as a company, and good prices. Plus their standard warranty is pretty decent.

Me, personally steer clear of Chrysler products, they don't get my pity money or being bailed out like 43 times, Dodge is OK, but lost my vote when they scrapped the Viper program and turned their Mopar sport into just cramming big engines into their cars with overly excessive stability controls.

GMs Buick lineup is pretty solid and very good warranty.

Edit: Also forgot, Toyota has huge resale value.
edit on 1-10-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Toyota's pickup trucks are very dependable and have better build quality. The maintenance cost is not too high. You can also easily find OEM and replacement truck parts. I drive a 2010 Tundra, and no major problems so far. I bought it because of the reliability, performance and good resale value although I don’t plan on ever getting rid of it.
edit on 4-10-2019 by karldun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It cost me $17000 just for a crate engine, www.jeepsareus.com...#, for sure you need an additional $50-100 for service charge.

top topics

join