It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Timeline For events that took place In Greek Mythology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've decided to make a timeline for the events that took place In Greek mythology and correlate it with real historical events.

The ancient Greek epics have specifically shown much importance on locations such as Crete, Egypt and Phoenicia (Canaan). According to the writings of Homer & Hesiod many Greek heroes were from royal Phoenician/Egyptian decent. Some Egyptian kings named in Greek mythology have also been identified with the Hyksos Pharoes who ruled Egypt during (1782 - c. 1570 BCE). Below I listed the timeline Important events that took place in Greek mythology.

The Golden Age (10 000 BCE – 3000 BCE)

• Atlantis was build
• Mankind was created by Prometheus
• Battle between gods and giants
• Flood is sent by Zeus to destroy all of mankind along with the giants.
• Deucalion and his family escape in an Ark, which Prometheus tells him to build.

Silver Age (After Flood)

1628 BCE = Apis rules over the Peloponnese.
(Linear A inscription with the name Saiapis found in Crete.)

1628 BCE = The Ogygian deluge occurs.
(Thera volcano erupts in 1628 BC. Minoan palace at Knossos destroyed by earthquakes c.1600 BC.)

1575 BCE = Epaphus the son of Io rules in Egypt.
(Hyksos king Apophis I rules in Egypt 1575 BC. He was referred as "Chieftain of Retjenu" which is a region located north of Canaan towards Phoenicia)

1558 BCE = Epaphus is murdered.

1550 BCE = Radamanthys become king of Crete
(Named in Linear A inscriptions as Nodamate the king of Crete at Knossos dating to 1600-1550 BC.)

1500 BCE = Agenor left Egypt and became a Phoenician king of Tyre

1488 BCE = Danaus flees from Aegyptus to Rhodes
(c.1480 BC Tutmoses III campaigns in Asia-Minor. His inscriptions mention receiving tribute from the Danai)

1465 BCE = Dionysus is born at mount Nysa

“The Father of men and gods gave you birth remote from men and secretly from white-armed Hera. There is a certain Nysa, a mountain most high and richly grown with woods, far off in Phoenicia, near the streams of Egypt.”
- [Homeric Hymn to Dionysus]

1440 BCE = Dionysus marries Minoan princess Araidne of Crete
(Earliest fresco depictions of Minoan princess dates 1500-1400BC)

The Heroic Age (1400 BCE-1200 BCE)

1362 BCE = Perseus son of Danae by Zeus is born

1286 BCE = Heracles is born when Zeus extends one night into three.
(Total solar eclipse happens over Aegean in 1286 BC)

1270 BCE = Theseus is born

1246 BCE = The 4 month long voyage of Jason and the Argonauts.
(Ancient shipwreck found on coast of Turkey dates 1200-1300bc)

1246 BCE = The Caledonian Boar hunt

1246 BCE = The Labours of Herakles take place while Eurestheus is king of Mycenae

1246-1243 BCE = Herakles is sold as a slave to Omphale after killing Iphitus

1244 BCE = Odysseus is born.

1242 BCE = Helen is born

1234 BCE = Achilles is born.

1223 BCE = Meneleus marries Helen.

Menelaus sails to Egypt and Phoenicia

For I have traveled much and undergone much hardship, for it was eight years before I could get home with my fleet wandering through Cyprus and Phoenicia and the Egyptian people I reached, Sidonians , Eremboi (Syria) even Libya, a place where lambs are born with horns...

I will now present you with the finest and most precious piece of plate in all my house. It is a mixing bowl of pure silver, except the rim, which is inlaid with gold, and it is the work of Vulcan. Phaidimos king of the Sidonians gave it to me in the course of a visit that I paid him while I was on my return home....

I was trying to come here but the gods detained me in egypt , Off egypt about as far as a ship can sail in a day is an Island called Pharos it has a good harbor...here the gods becalmed me twenty days...I again stationed my ships in the heaven-fed stream of Egypt , and offered hecatombs for the gods sent me a fair wind.

- [Homer Odyssey ; 750 B.C]

1216 BCE = Helen is abducted by Paris after visiting Phoenicia

“His mother went into the house and called her waiting-women who gathered the matrons throughout the city. She then went down into her fragrant store-room, where her embroidered robes were kept, the work of Sidonian women, whom Paris had brought over from Sidon when he sailed the seas upon that voyage during which he carried off Helen." – [Homer Illiad; 750 BCE]

“Hera stirs up a storm against them and they are carried to Sidon, where Paris takes the city. From there he sailed to Troy and celebrated his marriage with Helen.” - [Epic Fragments ; C6th BCE]

1213 BCE = Trojan war begins

1203 BCE = Trojan war ends

1202 BCE = The hero Odysseus begins his adventure.

Odysseus sails to Egypt and travels Phoenicia

"I conceived the idea of making a descent on Egypt, so I fitted out a fine fleet and manned it. I had nine ships, and the people flocked to fill them. For six days I and my men made feast, and I found them many victims both for sacrifice to the gods and for themselves, but on the seventh day we went on board and set sail from Crete

On the fifth day we reached the river Aigyptos; there I stationed my ships in the river, bidding my men stay by them and keep guard over them while I sent out scouts to reconnoiter from every point of vantage.

"But the men in their insolence disobeyed my orders, took to their own devices, and ravaged the land of the Egyptians, killing the men, and taking their wives and children captive. The alarm was soon carried to the city, and when they heard the war cry, the people came out at daybreak till the plain was filled with horsemen and foot soldiers and with the gleam of armor. Then Zeus spread panic among my men, and they would no longer face the enemy, for they found themselves surrounded. The Egyptians killed many of us, and took the rest alive to do forced labor for them. Zeus, however, put it in my mind to do thus - and I wish I had died then and there in Egypt instead, for there was much sorrow in store for me

I took off my helmet and shield and dropped my spear from my hand; then I went straight up to the king's chariot, clasped his knees and kissed them, whereon he spared my life , bade me get into his chariot, and took me weeping to his own home. Many made at me with their ashen spears and tried to kill me in their fury, but the king protected me, for he feared the wrath of Jove the protector of strangers, who punishes those who do evil.

"I stayed there for seven years and got together much money among the Egyptians, for they all gave me something; but when it was now going on for eight years there came a certain Phoenician, a cunning rascal, who had already committed all sorts of villainy, and this man talked me over into going with him to Phoenicia, where his house and his possessions lay. I stayed there for a whole twelve months.

- [Homer Odyssey ; 750 B.C]

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I do not see Rickymouse listed in that list. Oh yeah, I am a Finn, not a Greek.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
They're not myths, though

They're Biblical

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ancienthistorian

" Flood is sent by Zeus to destroy all of mankind along with the giants. "

Well , at Least he got that Half Right , but Mankind is Still Breathing . Guess the " God " Zeus was having a Bad Hair Day that Day ..........

edit on 9-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" Flood is sent by Zeus to destroy all of mankind along with the giants. "

Well , at Least he got that Half Right , but Mankind is Still Breathing . Guess the " God " Zeus was having a Bad Hair Day that Day ..........

Atlantis appears in exactly ZERO Greek myths.
You lost it from the very start.

Harte

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancienthistorian

• Atlantis was build
• Deucalion and his family escape in an Ark, which Prometheus tells him to build.

Well, as already pointed out Atlantis isn't a part of Geek myth. Also, what are your sources for this?

The "Deucalion flood" isn't dated before 3000BCE:

For some time during the Middle Ages, many European Christian scholars continued to accept Greek mythical history at face value, thus asserting that Deucalion's flood was a regional flood, that occurred a few centuries later than the global one survived by Noah's family. On the basis of the archaeological stele known as the Parian Chronicle, Deucalion's Flood was usually fixed as occurring sometime around c. 1528 BC. Deucalion's flood may be dated in the chronology of Saint Jerome to c. 1460 BC. According to Augustine of Hippo (City of God XVIII,8,10,&11), Deucalion and his father Prometheus were contemporaries of Moses. According to Clement of Alexandria in his Stromata, "...in the time of Crotopus occurred the burning of Phaethon, and the deluges of Deucalion

From the wiki.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: FatherLukeDuke

• Atlantis was build

Well, as already pointed out Atlantis isn't a part of Geek myth. Also, what are your sources for this?

The "Deucalion flood" isn't dated before 3000BCE:

Yes it's true Atlantis was only mentioned by Plato and is typically seen as a legend instead as a myth. When I mentioned Atlantis I was loosely referring to the civilization prior to the flood that was mentioned by Hesiod.

I'm not sure when exactly Deucalion's flood happened , but since Deucalion and his son Hellen were supposedly one of the first people to have inhabited Greece , I thought that my timeline was fairly accurate seeing that Neolithic Greek settlements have been found dating 7000-3200 BCE.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Atlantis I was loosely referring to the civilization prior to the flood that was mentioned by Hesiod.

But it just wasn't a part of ancient Greek myth - they told tales of Prometheus, they did not talk of Atlantis. It's only modern people that are obsessed with Atlantis.

I'm not sure when exactly Deucalion's flood happened

Well no, it's a myth that may or may not have some basis in reality. However if you're going to construct a timeline of ancient Greek myth then you really need to stick to when the ancient Greeks dated it, rather than making your own up. See the Parian Chronicle:

en.wikipedia.org...

They treated Deucalion's flood as history, and dated it specifically:

The surviving upper chronicle fragment currently resides in the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford. It combines dates for events which modern readers would consider mythic, such as the Flood of Deucalion (equivalent to 1529/28 BC) with dates we would categorize as historic.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FatherLukeDuke

it just wasn't a part of ancient Greek myth

Can you explain to me how the 'The Ages of Man' is not part of Greek Myth?

According to Greek mythology, humankind passed through a number of eras that were characterised by specific events, and were known in ancient Greece as the Ages of Man.

Hesiod, a famous ancient Greek poet, recognized five ages, According to Hesiod, the five ages of man were:

- The Golden Age. During the Golden Age of Man, the ruler of gods and men was the Titan Cronus. Mankind lived harmoniously among the gods and interacted with them. There was an abundance of food that nature provided, and humans did not need to work; so, they were able to live to a very old age, and when they died, it happened harmoniously and peacefully.

you really need to stick to when the ancient Greeks dated it, rather than making your own up. See the Parian Chronicle:

Very interesting , I've read the Parian Chronicle just now and Ironically my timeline almost matches some of the events mentioned In the Chronicle.

I'll post the Chronicle so everyone can read it themselves:

1. From the time Cecrops became king of Athens, [130] hence [131] the land formerly called Actica—from Actaeus, born from the earth—was called Cecropia, 1318 years (= 1581/0 BCE). [132]

2. From the time Deucalion became king on Mount Parnassus in Lycorea, when Cecrops was king of Athens, 1310 years (= 1573/2 BCE).

3. From the time a trial occured in Athens between Ares and Poseidon over Halirrhothius, Poseidon’s son—hence the place was called Areopagos—1268 years (= 1531/0 BCE), when Cranaus was king of Athens.

4. From the time a flood (kataklysmos) occured in Deucalion’s days, and Deucalion escaped the waters from Lycorea to Athens towards, . . . and es[tablished] the t[e]mple of Zeus (?) . . . [133] and made the sacrifices of deliverance, 1265 years (= 1528/7 BCE), when Cranaus was king of Athens.

5. From the time Amphictyon, son of Deucalion, became king in Thermopylae and gathered together those dwelling near the sanctuary—hence named them Amphictyons—and . . . where the Amphictyons still make sacrifices nowadays, [134] 1258 years (= 1521/0 BCE), when Amphictyon was king of Athens.

6. From the time Hellen, son of Deuc[alion], became king of [Phthi]otis—hence they were named Hellenes, being formerly called Greeks—and the contest . . . , 1257 years (= 1520/19 BCE), when Amphictyon was king of Athens.

7. From the time Cadmus, son of Agenor, went to Thebes . . . [and] founded the Cadmea, 1255 years (= 1518/7 BCE), when Amphictyon was king of Athens.

8. From the time . . . became kings, 1252 years (= 1515/4 years), when Amphictyon was king of Athens.

9. From the time a shi[p . . . o]ars [135] sailed from Egypt to Hellas—hence it was called pentekontoros—and Danaus’s daughters . . . and . . . Helike and Archedike, chosen by lot by the rest . . . and made sacrifices on the shore in . . . in Lindos of Rhodes, 1247 years (= 1510/9 BCE), when . . . was kin[g of Athens]. [136]

10. [From the time Erich]thonius yoked a chariot in the first Panathenaea that took place, and showed forth the contest and . . . the Athenians, [137] [a]nd [an image] of the Mother of the [g]ods appeared on the ridge of Cybele, and the Phrygian Hyagnis first invented the auloi in C [138] . . . the Phrygian ones . . . and he first played on the auloi [the mode (harmonia) c]alled Phrygian and the other nomoi of the Mother, of Dionysos, of Pan, and the . . . , 1242 years (1505/4 BCE), when Erichthonius, who yoked the chariot, was king of Athens.

11. From the time Minos . . . [bec]ame [k]ing . . . founded A[pol]lonia (?), [139] and iron was discovered on Ida, an invention of the Idaean Dactyls, Celmis a[nd Damnameneus . . . years], when Pandion was [ki]ng of Athens.

12. From the time Demeter, after arriving at Athens, planted grain, [140] and the [fi]rst [festival of ploughing (?)] was brought about . . . of [T]riptolemus, son of Celeus and Neaera, [141] 1146 ? years (= 1409/8 BCE), when Erichtheus was king in Athens.

13. From the time Tripto[lemus] . . . sowed (the grain?) in the Rarian land called Eleusis, 1[1]45 years (= 1408/7 BCE), when [Erichtheus] was king of Athens.

14. [From the time . . . Orpheus] . . . so[n] . . . made his poetry public, namely, [142] Kore’s rape and Demeter’s quest, [143] and the . . . [144] of those who received the grain, 1135 years (=1398/7 BCE), when Erichtheus was king of Athens.

15. [From the time Eumolpus (?)] . . . instituted the mysteries in Eleusis and made the po[e]ms of his [father M]ousaeus publ[ic], . . . [years, when Erichthe]us, son of Pandion, [was king of Athens].

16. From the time a purification first occured . . . 12 [years], when Pandion, son of Cecrops, was king of Athens.

17. From the time the gymnic [contest] at Eleusis . . . the Lycaea [145] occured in Arcadia and . . . of Lycaon were given . . . to the Hell[e]ne[s] . . . [years], when Pandion, son of Cecrops, was king of Athens.

18. From the time . . . Heracles . . . when Aegeus was king in Athens.

19. From the time there was a [deart]h of grain in Athens, and [Apo]llo advised (?) the Athe[nians] . . . consulting him to undert[a]ke the [compensa]tion . . . th[at] Minos would consider just, 1031 years (= 1294/3 BCE), when Aegeus was king of Athens.

20. From the time Thes[eus] . . . [became king] of Athens and united the twelve cities and bestow[ed] the constitution and the democracy . . . of Athens . . . established the Isthmian contest after killing Sinis, 995 years (= 1259/8 BCE). [146]

21. From the . . . of the Am[az]on[s . . . 9]92 [years] (= 1256/5 BCE), when Theseus was king of Athens.

22. From the time the Argives with Adras[tus waged] war [against Th]ebes and [e]st[abl]ished the contest in [Neme]a . . . , 987 years (= 1251/0 BCE), when Theseus was king of Athens.

23. From the time the [Helle]nes w[a]ge[d] war against Troy, 954 years (= 1218/7 BCE), when [Men]estheus was king of Ath[ens], in his thirteenth year.

24. From the time Troy was conquered, 945 years (= 1209/8 BCE), when [Menesthe]us was king of Athens, in his ⟨twenty⟩ [147] second year, in the month of Th[argeli]on, in the seventh day, (counting) from the end of the month.

The Chronicle said Cadmus moved to Thebes 1518 BC
My timeline suggest his father Agnor became king 1500 BC

The Chronicle said Theseus became king 1259 BC
My timeline suggest he was born 1270 BC

The Chronicle said Trojan war started 1218 BC
My timeline suggest it started 1213 BC

It appears there's only about a 15-20 year difference between my timeline and the Chronicle of Parian. I believe both timelines are fairly accurate and reliable

edit on 10-9-2019 by ancienthistorian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Atlantis appears in exactly ZERO Greek myths. You lost it from the very start.

You claim to know your stuff and talk like you’re an expert but really know next to nothing.

When you are out of remit about what you are talking about. You should say so. Not pretend to know your stuff.

If you cannot identify it in Greek myth it is because you are not understanding what you are reading.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

So I guess Harte Believes Plato’s Timaeus and Critias’ Story of a Mythical Island Continent of Atlantis was Pure Fiction After All .......Hmm......

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I didn't say it wasn't? However it doesn't mention Atlantis.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

a reply to: purplemer

So I guess Harte Believes Plato’s Timaeus and Critias’ Story of a Mythical Island Continent of Atlantis was Pure Fiction After All .......Hmm......

It probably was, but that's not the point he's making and just being fictional doesn't stop something from being a myth. Atlantis was a minor aside in a work of Plato - the Ancient Greeks did not talk about it. It was not one of their canon.

It was not part of Ancient Greeks' oral or written tradition, unlike the thousands of characters and places they do talk about. Here's a compilation of Greek Mythology, notice the lack of Atlantis:

www.greekmythology.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Considering the Greeks Mythos Stories of a Fabled Ancient Civilization on an Island Continent were first Related to them from the Greek Scholar Solon after a Visit to Egypt , that Knowledge of Recorded History Predated even the Earliest Greek Civilization in Europe , so the Greeks were Latecomers to Forwarding that particular Story . I would Imagine it would be Harder to just Disregard the Atlantis Myth if Challenged by Ancient Egyptian Recorded History , no ?
edit on 11-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: Harte

Atlantis appears in exactly ZERO Greek myths. You lost it from the very start.

You claim to know your stuff and talk like you’re an expert but really know next to nothing.

When you are out of remit about what you are talking about. You should say so. Not pretend to know your stuff.

If you cannot identify it in Greek myth it is because you are not understanding what you are reading.

All you have to do is reference it. You do know that, right?
And you can't. I already said why.

I'd add that you seem to know very little about Greek mythology, based on the above quote.

Harte

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Considering the Greeks Mythos Stories of a Fabled Ancient Civilization on an Island Continent were first Related to them from the Greek Scholar Solon after a Visit to Egypt , that Knowledge of Recorded History Predated even the Earliest Greek Civilization in Europe , so the Greeks were Latecomers to Forwarding that particular Story . I would Imagine it would be Harder to just Disregard the Atlantis Myth if Challenged by Ancient Egyptian Recorded History , no ?

That would be great, except there's not a shred of evidence in any Ancient Egyptian writing concerning anything like an ancient civilization anywhere, much less on an island continent.

Harte

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   

You made mention of Linear A text and what you claim is said. Can you provide any citations supporting this contention? Because the last I checked, Linesr A had yet to be deciphered.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

That would be great, except there's not a shred of evidence in any Ancient Egyptian writing concerning anything like an ancient civilization anywhere, much less on an island continent.

Harte

Egypt went out of its way to forget the times prior to Narmer. (Although this doesn't necessarily preclude Egyptian scholars from having records of it.)

The purported source for Plato's narrative was a guy who got it from Egyptian priests, so it's clearly not something we can expect to find in the more common Greek mythology.

According to Greek mythology, humankind passed through a number of eras that were characterised by specific events, and were known in ancient Greece as the Ages of Man.

Hesiod, a famous ancient Greek poet, recognized five ages, According to Hesiod, the five ages of man were:

- The Golden Age. During the Golden Age of Man, the ruler of gods and men was the Titan Cronus. Mankind lived harmoniously among the gods and interacted with them. There was an abundance of food that nature provided, and humans did not need to work; so, they were able to live to a very old age, and when they died, it happened harmoniously and peacefully.

It's interesting that they believed in that.

I was watching a documentary on Amazon Prime called "Secrets of the Sands" that features the guy from Nasa who discovered the green Sahara, by having a space mission do a radar scan of the Sahara (which he intended to use as a reference for his assignment of studying Mars, actually.)

He found not only evidence of the Green Sahara period prior the the Egyptian dynasties, but he also pointed out his opinion prior to the end of the last ice age, the whole planet had apparently been much wetter. IE. had greater levels of rainfall.

That would help explain how there could be so many megafauna walking around when the planet was so cold, considering just how much food an elephant has to take in per day to stay alive. 165 kg per day, apparently.

seaworld.org...

With that much vegetation, it probably wouldn't be necessary to plant fields.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous

originally posted by: Harte

Harte

Egypt went out of its way to forget the times prior to Narmer. (Although this doesn't necessarily preclude Egyptian scholars from having records of it.)

The purported source for Plato's narrative was a guy who got it from Egyptian priests, so it's clearly not something we can expect to find in the more common Greek mythology.

That's certainly obvious, given that Plato basically says the story is not Greek.
But surely you realize that Solon FAR post dated Narmer.
What Egyptians priests knew is one of the few things about Ancient Egypt that is well known, yet nothing at all about anything like Atlantis has ever been found.
One cannot argue that it was "hidden" knowledge while at the same time asserting it was told offhand to a vacationing Greek exile.

Harte
edit on 9/16/2019 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
opa!

wonder when was the Hippocratic oath conceived?

(and when did it turn hypocritical with the overlay of big pharma?)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join