It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk politics is in dissaray, is there anyone fit to lead the country?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is not a thread about Brexit, obviously, given this thread is about the current state of British Politics it will be mentioned from time to time but it is not the subject at hand. I don't care how you voted in the Brexit Referendum and I will be as impartial as I possibly can. Anyway...

So as it stands Boris Johnson has lost his majority (I think he's sitting on a majority of -24 or -25), there is about to be a law passed which is designed to force the P's hand to go to Brussels and seek another extension to Article 50, soething he refuses to do. So where does that leave us? Well, there are actually a few options. Boris could refuse, point blank, to follow the letter of the law which would lead to him having to appear in court and could possibly end up with him in prison. Believe it or not this is something Iain Duncan Smith encourages as this would make him a 'Martyr'. Alternatively Johnson could quit, siply walk away and let Corbyn take over. This might sound illogical but he would just stand back, let Corbyn extend Article 50 and take all the flak for it. Now, I have always found things better under a Labour Government (despite never having voted for Labour or Conservative) but even so, I don't want to see Corbyn as PM, Boris clearly isn't going to be a full term PM (not that I think the British Trump is a good fit for PM).

So who else is there? Well the most obvious name in the hat is probably Nigel Farage, I know a lot of Brexit supporters would want hi for PM, they see him as a means to an end, I don't share that enthusiasm for the man and even if I did, after Brexit, then what? The man I a one trick pony and would have no clue how to actually run a country, just how to get one out of a group of Nations. Jo Swinson? She just doesn't have the political acumen to be PM.

SoI ask you, the good people of ATS, whom do you think is fit to lead this country or, like me do you believe there is nobody?

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Tommy Robinson

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I agree, they are all too corrupt. The system does not work and the ones elected do not represent the people any more. They are upper political class and bend to the corporate masters or blackmail from the likes of GCHQ, even when that means literally destroying the country ( just look at fracking). They are paid hugely for the mess they create and given heavily subsidised food and booze and expenses that normal working people on low wages do not get. I am sick of the lot of them. At least in Scotland we have the SNP as an alternative, however, I don't fully trust them either.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Seem to me Boris Johnson is the man fit to lead the country , he's the man who wants to deliver what the people of this country voted for over 3 years ago but Parliament are stopping him doing that.

The opposition have said over and over they want a "peoples vote" but when offered one in a General Election they choose to play politics rather than seizing the opportunity preferring instead to insist on yet more delay and continued stalemate.

If nothing else this sorry state of affairs has shown how self obsessed Westminster is and how little they care about this country and the will of the people.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   

It certainly is a quandary. However a government should be answerable to

the people (at least the majority) and at present the only person who is

trying to do that is B.J. ? All others are following their own agenda.

Perhaps with technology on big issues people will be able to cast/register

votes on important subjects at selected voting areas (civic centres)

Time for proportional representation me thinks

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with someone like Ken Clarke heading up a government of national unity.

Actually that’s what I think should happen but I doubt it will

Nobody knows though this changes hour by hour
edit on 7-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Nigel Farage is the man for the job! He's not perfect but at least he has a back bone, enthusiasm, charisma, intelligence and actually loves and believes in our country.

He will make radical reforms to our electoral system and democracy in general which I think most people would agree with, unless you are undemocratic, then you would want to keep the status quo of course.

He wants to change our voting system to proportional representation, instead of the first past the post, which makes a lot of people's votes count for absolutely nothing.
He wants to get rid of the out of date and undemocratic House of Lords.
He wants to reform postal voting, the civil service and scrap the BBC license fee.

There are no other politicians calling for these much needed changes from what I can see. He's been saying this consistently for years.

He talks so much sense, compared to the rest of them.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Farage will never be PM, he’s not even a MP and his party don’t have any MP’s.

Not going to happen.

Doubtful that the brexit party would even put forward candidates in more than a handful of constituencies if any.
edit on 7-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Not going to happen.

The question wasn't who will become PM, it was who should lead the country.
I have answered that question and gave my reasoning.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

Not going to happen.

The question wasn't who will become PM, it was who should lead the country.
I have answered that question and gave my reasoning.

Fair enough am just letting you know why that will never happen.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Fair enough am just letting you know why that will never happen.

Anything can happen in politics.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Last weekend, Gove refused to rule out disobedience. "Will you obey the legislation?" "Let's see what it says". It's the line Boris would have to take to retain any credibility, and I think he's the kind of person who would do it. Is there actually any penalty incorporated into the bill?

edit on 7-9-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Doubtful that the brexit party would even put forward candidates in more than a handful of constituencies if any.

What makes you doubt that happening? You do know that they already have candidates for most constituencies already? Though Nigel Farage has promised not to field candidates against 28 Eurosceptic Conservative MPs who opposed the Brexit withdrawal agreement. He also may not field some other candidates if they have a non-aggressive pact with the Conservatives. Though this will only happen if Boris Johnson calls for a clean Brexit instead a rehash of Theresa May's terrible treaty.

Sorry to OP for going a bit off topic.
edit on 83022bAmerica/ChicagoSat, 07 Sep 2019 04:22:35 -05003019 by 83Liberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

They could split the conservative vote and it would hand seats to labour they’re not even set up like a traditional party. Am on my phone just now but that’s the short version of a longer more complex answer

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Knife crime in the UK is escalating .........

Knife Crime Epidemic Surges As 17.4 Million People Stabbed In The Back !!

A replay of *The night of the long knives*

edit on 7-9-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Hmm I am I the only one that thinks we don’t actually need a pm? The way I see it the country runs itself with the help of civil servants, all the political parties do is try to alter policies to their various cronies advantage.

We could do away with the career politicians altogether and replace them with a system known as a DEMARCHY retain the civil servants and public bodies that actually get things done, while putting policies back in control of the people.

Thought anyone or am I going to hear crickets as usual when I bring this up?

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   

They could split the conservative vote and it would hand seats to labour they’re not even set up like a traditional party. Am on my phone just now but that’s the short version of a longer more complex answer

I replied to you because you said "Doubtful that the brexit party would even put forward candidates in more than a handful of constituencies if any". Notice the bold part I added. Please answer based on that and not why you think they won't get any MP's.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

You should try living where I do!
I moved into a 'quiet' village to escape the confines of both city life and crime in the UK.
Our village is now plagued with youth crime, moped gangs and shootings, yes shootings. Drug lords move in and the neighbourhood goes to sh**.

Our neighbours are incredibly rude and loud, like they were in the city, and our child is surrounded by similarly aged kids who act out already (he's 22 months old).... I hate it here in the UK.

Everyone has their heads up their own bottoms. They think this place is just great. It's a stones throw from being completely lawless.

The youth OWN the streets and bicycle paths, they also own the Bus shelters and train stations. They swarm the eateries and the cinemas too. The swimming baths is a no go, so are most pubs.... This country is a JOKE. The police are FRIENDS with the lotus and do nothing.

The only thing left to do in the UK is either move to wales, the countryside or into the deep south country. . . .
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I am sure Brussels will be happy to lead the UK if they cannot do it themselves.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Hmm I am I the only one that thinks we don’t actually need a pm? The way I see it the country runs itself with the help of civil servants, all the political parties do is try to alter policies to their various cronies advantage.

We could do away with the career politicians altogether and replace them with a system known as a DEMARCHY retain the civil servants and public bodies that actually get things done, while putting policies back in control of the people.

Thought anyone or am I going to hear crickets as usual when I bring this up?

Eerrmmm....Isn't that (Demarchy) how EU is run in a way....????
That's worked well.....NOT

Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join