It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Challengers to Trump begin to emerge

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
www.salon.com...

This is of course still speculative. Trump still holds the majority of the Republican Party in the palm of his hand as it's members quake at breaking from his erratic agenda. Even as this is the case, there are a few who are beginning to step forward in a test of the 2020 waters.

Jeff Flake , Joe Walsh, Mark Sanford, John Kasich and Bill Weld are all either already announced or are making sounds of offering primary challenges to Trump.

Believe what you want about any of these men, they have all been at one time or another Republicans chosen by conservative voters to represent them in government.

This all may amount to nothing but should Trump's grasp on the moderate conservative voter wain, this mounting rebellion within the Republican Party could offer a more promising opportunity for other Republicans to step forward as well.

Myself, I would very much like to see Ben Sasse from Nebraska step forward.

Couple this rising within the Republican Party for a more moderate and sane candidate especially with with the possibility of a moderate from the Democrats, I mean you Tulsi, Trump could easily be looking at as a one term lark of a presidency.

If Trump has any real sense of balance, which of course is doubtful to many of us, he will announce that he will not run, claiming that he has fulfilled his promises and done all that can be done to save the nation and turn it all over to the rest of the Republican Party to carry on with.

This would save him face and allow him to be praised by conservatives as the great president he believes himself to be. Then he could go out and establish his own media empire and cater to the more dramatically conservative among us which has been his core base all along. He can sell his hats and t shirts and continue to tweet and comment on all things that interest his sporadic attention.

That is unless there really is evidence to prosecute him still unreleased in the Mueller Report that could be used to put him in prison without the traditional presidential immunity.

Time may tell but for now, let's first wait to see if this revolt in the Republican Party goes anywhere.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I think he would have bowed out if he wasn't hated so much. But now, since the left is so damn rabid about him, just to be an ass, he will stick it out for another 4. and likely win. You know, just to be an ass.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
In all honesty...

May the best man WIN. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I would say thank god but I can't see anyone not corrupt getting into office. Not to mention we don't want to split the republican vote and allow the dems back in. Sure both sides suck but at least one side isn't pushing that trans kid BS..
edit on 22-8-2019 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't see him as an ass, merely an opportunist. He does listen to his family, his kids I'm sure. Among them we could hope that there at least is some sense of political savvy that might over ride that possibility. After all, their wealth and power depends upon his continuing presence within the social structure. I"m sure they don't want him to go down in flames by just being an ass. One could hope at least.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Here's to an open primary season. Hopefully both parties will winnow down their extravagent edges and find two candidates that can appeal to both sides of this political divide. Myself, I would cherish a Gabbard Sasse election stand off. Of course even better a third party with those two working to strip both parties of their hegemony.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

well other then flake i see the RNC just cutting off funding and attempting to primary any one that tries to step up to run. flake got out of office so not sure how it would work with him but a good deal of my republican friends in 7 states all seem to hate the bejesus out of jeff flake

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Yeah......the Man who took out The whole Repubican field and The Clinton Machine is going to lose the next Primary.

I hope Romney tries so he can see how much the nation loves Mitt. He needs to be shown by the vote.

Has anyone bothered to look at Trump's rock steady Republican polling numbers?

I guess the media had to move on from the Mueller probe to "Keep Hope Alive" among the faithful.

Keep Believing CNN..............

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Trump has a 94% approval rating by Republicans, so I say good luck to all those Rinos you just listed.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I know and Flake knew as well that he would be a looooooong shot. Hell, any of them would be a long shot. But the real threat here is barring a complete Trumpian meltdown, having at least that many people recognized as conservatives speaking out and tearing into all the Trumpian banter and discrepancies could help to put more spotlight on the weaker aspects of his leadership.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
www.vanityfair.com... this article calls them the sucide squad for well how doomed the attempt will be

Donald Trump has an 88% approval rating among Republicans, a fund-raising machine that brought in $105 million in the past quarter alone, near-virtual control over the RNC, and, of course, the power of incumbency. But a growing number of Republicans, aware that Trump still remains widely unpopular have started to question whether all that matters. There are, after all, moral issues at stake. “He’s a bully and he’s a coward. Somebody’s got to punch him in the face every single day,” former congressman Joe Walsh tells the Washington Post, nominating himself as a potential primary candidate. The goal, Walsh promises, is to start a “bar fight” with the president—and win. A drunken, possibly doomed slugfest with Donald Trump may not be a preferred metaphor for the effort to depose the president, but it has a kind of poetry. And anyway, Walsh isn’t the only insurgent darling turned anti-Trump stalwart pondering a primary challenge. There’s dark horse candidate Bill Weld, the former Massachusetts governor (and 2016 Libertarian vice presidential nominee), who officially launched his campaign in April. Former South Carolina governor Mark Sanford also indicated last week that he’s given it some thought. Now the Post reports that former Arizona senator Jeff Flake and former Ohio governor John Kasich may follow Walsh’s lead too. The three men cited a “flurry” of calls and conversations with Republican power brokers suggesting that they jump in, and they’ve reportedly been visiting places like New Hampshire and Iowa to test the waters for a challenge. “It’s prudent to take a look at things,” Kasich’s 2016 presidential senior strategist, John Weaver, told the Post.
bar fight eh? article goes on to say from kelly ann conway that those running havent even gotten individual nick names which hilariously shows where were at in politics these days

older link from january from think progress
thinkprogress.org...

As ABC reported, the RNC passed a resolution on Friday that threw their “undivided support” behind the president as he gears up for the 2020 race — a resolution that effectively undercut any other Republicans thinking of running. And the RNC passed this resolution as state Republican parties are considering even more drastic moves to immunize Trump from a primary challenger in 2020. Trump reacted with effusive thanks, praising the RNC for its decision.

www.washingtonexaminer.com... and this gem

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel on Thursday dared Republicans to challenge President Trump in the 2020 primary, and predicted anyone who tried would "lose horribly." "They have the right to jump in and lose, that's fine," she said at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland on Thursday. "Have at it. Waste your time, waste your money, and go ahead and lose." That was her response when asked what the party's response would be if Trump got a primary challenger in the 2020 presidential election. She noted that Trump has a 93 percent approval rating among Republicans, and it would be nonsensical for any Republican to run against that record.
so as far as the RNC shot callers go its pretty much not advised to not waste time and money in a futile effort

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pavilI agree, he did handle that 2016 election with gusto. However, I see much of that as being due to the lack of knowledge of just how off base and very possibly infirm his mental capacity could be. That must be a huge issue don't you think? Even if he is as astute as you hope him to be, his erratic behavior and commentary of late, if continued, needs to be considered by people from all sides. I don't know if he CAN shut up and just let things run it's course.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

so as far as the RNC shot callers go its pretty much not advised to not waste time and money in a futile effort

As true as this might be, we need to consider the supposed liberal media huh? Any Republican oppostion will be used to bring to light the weaknesses of his administration, not to sway his hard core enthusiasts or even the quaking sycophants in fear of loosing their own plushy seats in the halls of power but rather to enlighten the more uninformed conservative voter.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Yea cause a woman definitely could not run this country

(post by StallionDuck removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: UniformKilo

I agree with you here Uni. Let the best ''person'' win. But in Stallion's defense I believe he (she?) was just using and old cliche to make the point. Let the best person win.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The Republicans don’t have anyone to challenge Trump. You may as well just take any money donated to these clowns right to the shredder.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Well, we all know that is only reason any one would attempt a primary run against Trump as well as why there are over 20 DNC trying to run. They all know that the money will be drying up soon.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

President Trump Destroying candidates in Republican debates again would cause Democrats to quiver in fear. Like watching a big orange F-5 tornado coming their way!

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

President Trump Destroying candidates in Republican debates again would cause Democrats to quiver in fear. Like watching a big orange F-5 tornado coming their way!

You can dream all yo want Care, but I don't think so. His immediate appeal in 2016 was in his breaking from the standard debate style. None of them then were ready for it. None were prepared. They were all stuck in the mire of previous pleasantries. I don't think that would happen this time. Any challengers would come prepared.

Prepared with the whole back log of miss stated Trumpian quotes. Prepared with his meandering and flip flopping political pronouncements. No, I think it would be a completely different experience if they do challenge him.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join