It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boom Supersonic to bring back supersonic commercial flight by 2023

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Boom Supersonic And Dassault Systèmes Partner To Bring Back Supersonic Air Travel

...Now Boom Supersonic wants to bring faster-than-sound flight back to the civilian population. Founded in 2014, the company raised over $100 million in Series B funding, bringing their total funding to date to approximately $150 million.

Boom’s eventual production jetliner, the Overture, is intended to fly at Mach 2.2, and is a delta-wing like the Concorde. It will have a carbon fiber fuselage and triple turbofan engines. It’s being designed specifically to resolve some of the problems that the Concorde experienced. “Overture will initially accommodate 55–75 seats of all-business-class seating, priced at business-class fares,” said Blake Scholl, Boom's founder and CEO. “This initial configuration should make Overture’s load factors attractive and profitable, especially in comparison to Concorde which often flew mostly empty and was ultimately unprofitable for British Airways and Air France.”

Check out their website for yourselves! Boom - Overture

There's also my other thread in GCC about a supersonic business jet, as opposed to Boom's commercial airliner...

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Looks like a scaled down Concorde. According to their FAQ it will be flying subsonic over land, so will be most certainly limited to ocean routes. Meh.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
They've begun receiving panels and assembling the test aircraft.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
They've begun receiving panels and assembling the test aircraft.

Good. Let's hope they keep to the timeframe.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
My grandparents flew on the Concorde to london.

Grandpa was TWA pilot (retired) at the time.
He flew super connies to 747-400's.
Test pilot for the corsair and the sabrejet as well when in the navy.

I was young at the time, so never did hear what he thought of the corde.
edit on 19-8-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
My grandparents flew on the Concorde to london.

Grandpa was TWA pilot (retired) at the time.
He flew super connies to 747-400's.
Test pilot for the corsair and the sabrejet as well when in the navy.

I was young at the time, so never did hear what he thought of the corde.

That sentence ha! Great. It's like, in some ways more was done decades before than today - space missions for instance. Now, the excuse given today is "not enough funds" or some nonsense. Just mull over the gulf of time between the last successful Moon mission and the current upcoming first (PLANNED) mission to the Moon.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I know, it's sad.

If i had it my way, there would still be an abundance of super constellations, dc-3's and stearman flying.

Or just about anything with a radial..

I love that sound.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I know, it's sad.

If i had it my way, there would still be an abundance of super constellations, dc-3's and stearman flying.

Or just about anything with a radial..

I love that sound.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Boom Supersonic partnered with Flight Research International to test the XB-1 at the Mojave Air and Spaceport in California. Boom leased part of FRI for a test headquarters, and FRI will supply them with a T-38 chase aircraft for flight tests.

boomsupersonic.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Ooohhh progress

join