It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to the NSA's "PRISM"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The latest story I can find on it dates back to March of this year.

NSA's domestic metadata collection going unused, could be ended permanently

The U.S. National Security Agency has allegedly left its metadata collection system — first exposed by Edward Snowden in 2013 — unused for months, and it could vanish completely in the near future.

The NSA "hasn't actually been using it for the past six months," said Luke Murry, an adviser for Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy of California, the House minority leader. Murry's comments were made during an episode of the podcast "Lawfare," noticed by the New York Times.

"I'm actually not certain that the [Trump] administration will want to start that back up," he added.

Not heard anything since...

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
The latest story I can find on it dates back to March of this year.

NSA's domestic metadata collection going unused, could be ended permanently

The U.S. National Security Agency has allegedly left its metadata collection system — first exposed by Edward Snowden in 2013 — unused for months, and it could vanish completely in the near future.

The NSA "hasn't actually been using it for the past six months," said Luke Murry, an adviser for Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy of California, the House minority leader. Murry's comments were made during an episode of the podcast "Lawfare," noticed by the New York Times.

"I'm actually not certain that the [Trump] administration will want to start that back up," he added.

Not heard anything since...

I'd say they found a more secure, secret, and efficient way to do it.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Please tell us you didn't actually think the No Such Agency would be doing regular press releases detailing their progress spying on, and prying into, the private lives of American citizens???

Silly Rabbit!

If you're not hearing about it that probably means it's a FANTASTIC SUCCESS!

edit on 8/11/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Wow, you guys believe that existing government agencies are fulfilling a task this gargantuan.

That's a real American dream, right there.

On this subject, it's most likely being managed by a third party provider, likely some company involved with back-end services in that industry. Highly likely to be completely private sector, and there are a couple handfuls of companies that are perfectly capable of offering this kind of mass spying now.

I won't name those companies, but I have very good reason to believe, one in particular is involved, and they have a nice little sniffer space in Reston, VA.
edit on 11-8-2019 by Archivalist because: prism schism

edit on 11-8-2019 by Archivalist because: werd eeng

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Considering the other revelations from the Snowden leaks, I think PRISM isn't actually needed anyway

1. The NSA Can Demand Call Records and Data from Telephone Companies
2. PRISM (surveillance program)
3. The NSA Can Intercept Packages Before They Reach Your Home
4. The NSA Can Even Hack Tech Giants
5. Britain’s NSA (GCHQ) Spies on Fibre Optic Connections All Over the Globe
6. The NSA Collects Contact Lists
7. Boundless Informant Proved That the NSA Spied on Americans
8. XKeyscore Allows the NSA To Track Anyone’s Online Activity
9. The NSA Spies on Global Leaders
10. The NSA Actively Works Against Internet Encryption
11. The NSA Has Its Own ‘Special Forces’ Team of Hackers
12. Intelligence Agencies Can Even Spy on You Through Angry Birds

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Considering the other revelations from the Snowden leaks, I think PRISM isn't actually needed anyway

1. The NSA Can Demand Call Records and Data from Telephone Companies
2. PRISM (surveillance program)
3. The NSA Can Intercept Packages Before They Reach Your Home
4. The NSA Can Even Hack Tech Giants
5. Britain’s NSA (GCHQ) Spies on Fibre Optic Connections All Over the Globe
6. The NSA Collects Contact Lists
7. Boundless Informant Proved That the NSA Spied on Americans
8. XKeyscore Allows the NSA To Track Anyone’s Online Activity
9. The NSA Spies on Global Leaders
10. The NSA Actively Works Against Internet Encryption
11. The NSA Has Its Own ‘Special Forces’ Team of Hackers
12. Intelligence Agencies Can Even Spy on You Through Angry Birds

"Special" Forces Hackers

Yeah, they don't have enough hot pockets and Xena tapes to get the real talent. They have a bunch of guys with degrees and tech certifications that couldn't hack their way out of paper bags.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

"Special" Forces Hackers Yeah, they don't have enough hot pockets and Xena tapes to get the real talent. They have a bunch of guys with degrees and tech certifications that couldn't hack their way out of paper bags.

Not my wording and the only way you would know, was if you're involved with the NSA

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Common sense. If it really isn't being used anymore, that simply means that it's obsolete. My guess would be that a big factor in making it obsolete would be that it's common knowledge among the public that it existed and was a thing that had a name.

My guess is they just renamed it. If you don't know what they renamed it to, you don't know what you're talking about anymore because you're still calling it PRISM. I did some digging on Wikipedia a couple years ago and if you trace whatever history is available to be found there, you will see that the history of it goes back quite a ways and it has been essentially renamed and reconfigured at least a couple of times and never actually went away. I would not think it has gone away now just because the media tells you it has. Since when do we believed them anyway? For all we know they have never told the truth about it. For all we know, maybe it never even existed. It's hard to believe anything you hear these days. Especially from the media or the government. Everything is in question.

top topics

join