It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-37B Spaceplane photographed in orbit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Wouldn't a RTG require Presidential approval prior to launch? I think it would be traceable through that.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I suspect if something is classified enough, it won't be public record, even if it did get presidential permission. And I'm not sold that permission is needed.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It most likely is the solar panels, not an RTG.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Amazingly it is, according to the PD/NSC-25 from Dec 1977:
fas.org...

In practise approval is granted by the Director of the OSTP and is basically just a formality. And of course they could classify it if they felt like it.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There are solar panels. I was looking at the cylinder in the photo interpretation. It's either a telescope/optic sensor or an RTG. As stated, the X-37B does not need the RTG to operate in space. OTOH, it would be a good place to test new tech, like a new design for an RTG.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

True. It gives them long endurance in actual space conditions.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

RTG's barring some MAJOR development in thermodynamics and material science are about as good as they can get power and safety wise.

RTG's just use a fancy heating element to convert heat to energy, a very old and very well understood property.

what i could see being tested are actual reactors like the ones nasa just showed off that are about the size of a coke can and apparently they are on a path where they really believe megawatt powers in idiot proof space ready small reactors.

imagine on the way to mars you could have a set of actual reactors as well as solar to power your way there quickly with electric drives and power to spare. it would even give you enough left over power to generate a powerful magnetic shell to help lower the radiation effects or even a particle beam created bow shocks to repel charged particles out of the way

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

The TRL isn't flight ready until demonstrated. If you swapped out the plutonium, for say, thorium, it would have to recertified. The X-37B could do that.

And, folks, they're watching. Always watching:

theaviationist.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Is it just for what othera have speculated? Long term testing of materials in space or production of materials in space even on a tiny scale?

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pigsy2400

For the most part. It's done a few other things, but it's mostly been for that and testing long term exposure to space.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

was it that did the lens thing or was that on the space shuttle? it must be 37B because the shuttle was out of service.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

we talking retina type solar raytheon stuff here Penroc?

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
When is the 37C making its debut?

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

It's not.

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

X-37C was just a design concept. Boeing is working on the XS-1 now.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Wasnt it liquid crystal they were mucking around with optics and lenses?

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

The NRO hasn't had any interest in flying an optic that small since Corona, what would make them change that attitude?

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=24468635]Zaphod58[/post

I'm reminded of that story of the LC-39 maintenance crew that accidentally stumbled in on the TDRS satellite being fueled up by guys in Andromeda Strain suits inside the payload handling room.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
patents.google.com...

from r/SpecialAccess

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join