It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a man? A response to Gillette

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If I did use razors, which I am hesitant to bring into the regiment, I certainly wouldn't use a brands razor for their ad campaigns, I'd just find out which was cheap but still had good quality. Gillette certainly doesn't fit that bill.

Real men use straight razors. Sometimes they even shave with them.

Real men have four 3 finger bourbons and then shave with a straight razor.

....and no lather.

Tears of one's enemy, their mouth foam, or blood are acceptable forms of lather.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
[...]

This video puts some of the hardships men face into perspective:
--Men account for 93% of workplace fatalities
--Men account for 97% war fatalities
--Men account for 79% all homicide victims
--Men account for 80% suicide victims
--Men account for 75% homeless
--Almost half of men without visitation rights pay child support

The video ends with "We see the good in men." Me too. I've been blessed to be surrounded by good men my entire life, and I know the world is better for all of us thanks to the words and deeds of so many men. I don't want to see all men thrown under the bus for the bad behavior of the few any more than I want to see all women thrown under the bus for the bad behavior of a few.

[...]

I think Gillette should make a new ad highlighting the statistics you posted above.

Gillette has been coming up with some bizarre ads of late: the toxic masculinity one and the "trans male" one. I found the "trans male" one particularly bizarre, given that a global company and global brand would be focusing on reaching the maximum number of people as possible. Who was the ad for? Like 9 "trans males" on the whole planet? Bizarre.

EDIT: P.S. And one more thing. I'm a natural born male and to be perfectly honest, I find Gillette's "trans male" ad quite irritating, to say the least. Irritating.
edit on 27-6-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jun 27 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

Emotional intelligence is a phrase that has been lost in time for the most part.

This is so true, and it is a gross disservice to our children -- and the entire world.

Part of it is society telling us all of our emotions are OK and true (best way I could phrase it)... And also with the advent of instant communication in every form, people are capitalizing on emotion for money or agenda.

And the thing is, our emotions are "okay" and "true." But we have to keep our emotions in their proper perspective. And that's where I think we have failed miserably. That's why we have "safe spaces" and "snowflakes."

On Father's Day, our son really surprised us when he said that we were good parents, and he appreciated that we let them make their mistakes so they could learn from them -- while always providing a safety net -- but what he appreciated most is that we never made them feel like they were stupid or hopeless or couldn't do better. That, in fact, our attitude was always that we expected them to do better. We never belittled them for their mistakes, but we praised and celebrated their successes. He believes this gave him the "emotional maturity" (his words) to grow from his mistakes. He thinks too many kids defend their mistakes and get "stuck on stupid" in the process.

I have thought about his words many times since, and I think there's much truth there. I think it's much bigger than just this, but he definitely has a point.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Ironic that you say that.

My sister and I have both been very independent since we left the nest years ago. I think that my mom sometimes gets empty nest feelings from time to time (not often, and it doesn't last long).

A few weeks ago, she was reminiscing and felt guilty for whatever reason and was talking to me and apologized for her parenting style. I had to go above and beyond to convince her that is what made my sister and I so independent in the first place is the fact we had freedom to make mistakes, but a life line when we were in need.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

I think Gillette should make a new ad highlighting the statistics you posted above.

Yeah, they should... but that would seem to defeat their current purposes, eh?

Gillette has been coming up with some bizarre ads of late: the toxic masculinity one and the "trans male" one. I found the "trans male" one particularly bizarre, given that a global company and global brand would be focusing on reaching the maximum number of people as possible. Who was the ad for? Like 9 "trans males" on the whole planet? Bizarre.

That was truly bizarre -- yes! But it's probably not a coincidence that Proter & Gamble are corporate sponsors of The Equality Act. I don't know what they're thinking. I can't imagine their marketing gurus have decided alienating men is a good idea, no matter how many new customers they get from women who identify as "men." Women shave too. It makes no sense to me in the big picture.
Equality Act Reaches 100 Corporate Cosponsors

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This video puts some of the hardships men face into perspective:

--Men account for 100% of people who can legibly write their name in the snow.
--Men account for 100% of all spiders killed in the home.
--Men account for 100% of all Dutch Ovens in the marital relationship.

We are special like that lol.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Good for you -- and Mom!

That's really cool to hear. Thank you for sharing that. I think highly of your posts, so it's really good to hear. There must be some value in our parenting style after all!!!

I've felt like your mom at times, wishing I had done this or that differently or better. But I really didn't know how to do better or I would have to begin with. I just knew that I wasn't raising "kids" -- they already knew how to be kids! I was raising adults -- responsible, resourceful, independent and self-sufficient adults. That was my job as a parent.

But boy did I get a lot of criticism for being too harsh!!! However, my kids are responsible, resourceful, independent and self-sufficient adults, and I know they'll do just fine in life. And that's what matters to me in the end.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

That's really cool to hear. Thank you for sharing that. I think highly of your posts, so it's really good to hear. There must be some value in our parenting style after all!!!

Thank you and like wise

I just knew that I wasn't raising "kids" -- they already knew how to be kids! I was raising adults -- responsible, resourceful, independent and self-sufficient adults. That was my job as a parent.

I think that is one of the best ways to look at it, and I really like how you phrased that.

But boy did I get a lot of criticism for being too harsh!!! However, my kids are responsible, resourceful, independent and self-sufficient adults, and I know they'll do just fine in life. And that's what matters to me in the end.

My mom always gave us a lot of freedom, but if we misused it, she wasn't afraid to put her foot down.

So when I was 19, I was rambunctious and sometimes got into trouble (victim-less stuff). I was raised to be polite to people until they gave me reason to be otherwise. And while the politeness is a freebie, respect is earned. So I was always nice to people and what not, but I would get in trouble here and there.

One month I kinda went a little crazy hitting the town too hard. I got picked up for underage drinking (second offense), so this time they could hold me till the court date. She told me she wasn't going to bail me out, but she also called my boss and explained to him she wanted to let me think about everything for two weeks, he agreed and promised my job would be held. She still feels bad from time to time for letting me sit in there for two weeks, but it was honestly one of the best things someone has done for me in my adult life.

It was twofold, my mom taught me a valuable lesson, and I was petrified when going to speak with my boss. His dad was a Marine Drill Sgt. and brother a Green Beret. He was private sector his whole life, but had the build of someone in the military, looked like Mr Clean, and had a chip on his shoulder from what I assume was proving himself without going down the military path. It was the only time I saw him really level with someone, and he was so nice and understanding it threw me off. I worked so hard for that man ( I loaded and unloaded trucks for a logistics company at the time), and he eventually let me run the operation when he left. He is still to this day one of my role models, and I still live by a lot of what he taught me, mercy but more importantly redemption the biggest.
edit on 27-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Well, there you have it! Women are better than men. Unless you live in Switzerland where women account for 50% of homicides.
edit on 27-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Well, there you have it! Women are better than men. Unless you live in Switzerland where women account for 50% of homicides.

I think the important message is that it's not a contest. I could frame it so that either appear better, but at the end of the day, we need each other to continue humanity. I think the easiest way to convey that is most daughters get most influence from their fathers, sons from their mothers. The contrast is what gives us depth.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

It's all in the framing, isn't it? I see it framed as men being the victims of their own toxic masculinity, and women reaping the rewards.

edit on 27-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

It's all in the framing, isn't it? I see it framed as men being the victims of their own toxic masculinity, and women reaping the rewards.

Most of the men I know are good dudes who do all that they can for their families. Are some of them boisterous and still laugh at fart jokes? Sure... I don't see it as toxic though.

Those who are toxic usually quickly alienate themselves, or at the very least everyone knows they're douche bags.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Unless you live in Switzerland where women account for 50% of homicides.

The men in Switzerland must be shaving with those pink pussy hats instead of razors.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Wow. We went through something very similar with our son when he was 19 as well -- and we handled it pretty much the same. My son got a DUI -- in MY car!!! -- and of course, lost his license, got hit with a big fine, and did ten days in Sheriff Joe's Tent City. (My brother still laughs when he thinks about his skinny White nephew in Tent City)

We told him he was going to have to level with his boss, stories would only compound his problems, and hope that they would hold his job for him because they sure didn't have to. His boss is former military (not sure what branch though), and my son was dreading it -- as much from shame and embarrassment as from what his boss would say/do. But his boss was incredible, and told my son he'd been a great employee so he would hold the job for him, but he expected my son to pay his dues honorably and never make that mistake again. My son still works for him today, and is now #2 in the company.

I wish more young men had strong mentors and role models. Especially the boys and young men who don't have a father in their life, or any positive strong role model. My dad grew up without a father and devoted himself to helping other boys via the Boy Scouts and church and whatnot. We need more ways to connect boys with male mentors and role models. I don't know how to go about making that happen, but I'd sure be happy to see it happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The MGTOW movement exists for a reason.

Feminism has changed the dating scene.
Girl power rules until the check comes and then they all of a sudden turn traditional.

The way I hear it, pump and dump is the new norm.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Me too. I only know one man who was killed on the job, two, if you count war, and I don't know any men that have committed suicide or murdered anyone. I only know one man who was murdered by another man.

Most of the men I know are good guys, but still have delusions of their gender grandeur. Lots of mainsplainers out there too.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

No. Just no. No. No. No. No. No.

Women are not better than men. Men are not better then women. We are all perfectly imperfect beings, equally beloved by our Creator. We can, however, make each other better. We can complement each other. We can balance each other. We can harmonize with each other. And that would make us all better. But never better than each other.

And I'm quite disgusted that you would exploit the murders of so many women for some cheap points that I don't even know what... but sadly not surprised.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Stop talking logically!

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Men are not better then women.

Oh, hahahaha. I LOL'd on the airplane.

Wait, you were being serious, weren't you?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Most of the men I know are good dudes who do all that they can for their families. Are some of them boisterous and still laugh at fart jokes? Sure... I don't see it as toxic though.

Those who are toxic usually quickly alienate themselves, or at the very least everyone knows they're douche bags.

Yes! The truly toxic out themselves. Not to speak too broadly, but women know the creepers... the ones who out themselves by being creepy creepers. As opposed to those who are just immature and even crude or vulgar. We know the difference. When a woman starts a new job, she will be warned who the creepers are pretty quick. And the thing is, the same men are pointed out by every/all women.

That's one the big problems with the Gillette ad. It pointed out silly things as if those are the big problems for women! And as if we don't know the difference. In many ways, I felt like it was just as insulting to women as to men, but we weren't the targets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join