It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is our future folks!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
www.wesh.com...

Nearly 100 drivers followed a Google Maps detour and ended up stuck in an empty field

You can't even make this stuff up. 1 ok, 2 maybe, but 100 PEOPLE!!!
Not sure if they have changed it or not but in Florida if you looked for a bookstore the GPS would have you driving right into a lake.
Luckily I had my old timey map reading skills to know that wasn't a good thing. We are losing some critical skills, and they are going fast.
I'm all for GPS, I actually love it, but people are becoming way too reliant on these thing.

How many people now actually have phone numbers memorized? I guess this is a big problem, a lot of people lose their phone and don't know who to call because they have never had to memorize a number!

In Florida there would be heavy rains, and the streets would flood. Car after car would drive right into 4ft water. I would actually sit there and watch them. The utter surprise when their car would die and not turn into a boat. The reason most of these cars would do it was because the car in front of them did it.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If everyone else jumped of a bridge would you do it too?

Apparently, yes.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.wesh.com...

Nearly 100 drivers followed a Google Maps detour and ended up stuck in an empty field

You can't even make this stuff up. 1 ok, 2 maybe, but 100 PEOPLE!!!
Not sure if they have changed it or not but in Florida if you looked for a bookstore the GPS would have you driving right into a lake.
Luckily I had my old timey map reading skills to know that wasn't a good thing. We are losing some critical skills, and they are going fast.
I'm all for GPS, I actually love it, but people are becoming way too reliant on these thing.

How many people now actually have phone numbers memorized? I guess this is a big problem, a lot of people lose their phone and don't know who to call because they have never had to memorize a number!

In Florida there would be heavy rains, and the streets would flood. Car after car would drive right into 4ft water. I would actually sit there and watch them. The utter surprise when their car would die and not turn into a boat. The reason most of these cars would do it was because the car in front of them did it.

Google Maps should re-designate that field as a used car lot.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Was it an accident? or was in intentional?

This is google, maybe they ran a test to see what percentage would follow their directions to the field and at what point the others questioned the information they were given.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

This is google, maybe they ran a test to see what percentage would follow their directions to the field and at what point the others questioned the information they were given.

I don't know, but the bookstore lake one was up for a long time.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We are losing some critical skills, and they are going fast.

Indeed, along with Common Sense... (which i know wasn't that common in the first place)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Lemmings come to mind...

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is how TPTB instill and conjure-up public confusion !!!!! 😀

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I still drive with an atlas in my car...

Just about a month ago I was driving with someone and we both had the same navigation app running. Mine would say turn left and hers would say turn right at the same time. I don't trust that crap. It's convenient until it isn't.

...100 people. Lol. God help us all.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Maybe Google was trying to get rid of people who read books.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Just imagine when google thinks all Trump supporters should end up in a field?

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
That sounds way better than where Google sent me. I could at least do some muddin'.

They sent me 15 mins off of the normal route and through a police checkpoint in bfe Missouri.

It was at that point the nagging feeling of why a company would put out military grade tracking maps for free came rushing back.

Lol...Alphabet

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I do not trust those map programs, the maps are often not correct, they send you the wrong way sometimes. I like the paper maps myself, around here those programs do not work so well, and in downtown Chicago it is worthless according to my daughter who kept being led in circles way far away from where they were supposed to go.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Like the saying goes, the things you own, end up owning you. Its part and parcel.

How many people now just pull up everything on there cellphone? From directions to anything else? Or how about the whole media days years ago were every single talking point was just something that was placed there by others? It was like watching a bunch of meat pupets put on a show. Almost made you want to poke one with a stick.

The internet and convenient info at your fingers changed all that. But only as far as they have yet to figure out how to curtail and control the thing known as the internet. Or who's to say it is not already all controlled?

What happens when we start putting chips directly in our bodies and neural cortex? Will we have people just blindly going along with the voice in there head which is just the updated version of google 5000, saying they should go and be at? And what happens when you have AI which can out process a persons brain, the way our mind can outprocess a chimps brain?

Oh ya, its a brave new world out there, then and now. Whats that quote and saying? "Man becomes as it were, the sex organs of the machine world"

But can you honestly say that its worse then an age ago when we were fighting over a million stupid things, like say? Other peoples invisible friends in the sky that so many had issues with, not that long ago?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I know everyone wants this to be our reality now but you guys have the story a little skewed.

There was a crash on the freeway and everyone’s gps lead them on a dirt road that was still saturated from an exceptionally wet winter, yes it was a road not a field! A bunch of people trying to get to work and trying not to be late. You might have done the same thing.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   
While online maps are nice and can be convenient they can be pretty horrid for non urban areas. Always have a paper map on hand, but then again you have be able to read said map.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I know everyone wants this to be our reality now but you guys have the story a little skewed.

There was a crash on the freeway and everyone’s gps lead them on a dirt road that was still saturated from an exceptionally wet winter, yes it was a road not a field! A bunch of people trying to get to work and trying not to be late. You might have done the same thing.

This is exactly the story.
No I would not have done the same thing. There are two ways of thinking, blindly following, and critical thinking.

If I saw cars stopping or slowing down, I would not just followed them. I can not tell you how many times I've seen cars rear ended because cars were stopped on a highway and they were in la la land and just kept going the speed. Never taking into account what is 100ft in front of them.

Relying on GPS makes you ignorant to local roads. If you venture out sometimes you might have known that those roads get soggy in spring, or have a lot of potholes, or are a speed trap etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
you have to be careful using GPS. i know one spot in Toronto, where i don't know why, since there are no tall buildings or anything, that several GPS units i tried over the years, suddenly get confused and have you making wrong turns and placed wrong on the map. in another spot the GPS would always tell me to make a right turn on a road that you needed to go straight on, then have you make a U turn, or something after a couple miles, to have you go back to the road you were on and tell you to make a right turn on it.

another issue i have run into was in a town (Baguio), that is built on mountainsides. it really confuses the crap out of GPS. where one street may just be several meters from another, but also several meters different in elevation. seriously the GPS just should have said "i give up". it could not figure out which road you were on, and ironically almost always picked the wrong one to place you on.

i have read where the use of GPS is actually making people stupid in regards to navigation. rather like always using a cash register which does all the work, ends up making you forget how to do the math. since it seems the way our minds work, if you don't use it, you loose it. like a computer dumping information and programs you don't use to make room for other things.

yet the thing is that using a GPS is far safer for driving than trying t o use a paper map, or written directions to find your way. it takes far less attention to use that the other two. thus making you a safer driver. and ironically i remember several years back when they were trying to outlaw using it, as well as texting (even before they decided you couldn't talk on the phone either). because of distracted driving. because of course you need to look at it occasionally, taking your attention from the road (for like a second). yet it is far more distracting to try to read a paper map, or read written directions, which is what you would have been left with had they succeeded.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

in another spot the GPS would always tell me to make a right turn on a road that you needed to go straight on, then have you make a U turn

That is so annoying!! I think that is very common for GPS. I wonder if it was programmed before the turn lane was completed or something but I've seen it happen in a lot of different areas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join