It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game of Thrones - What the last episode really meant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

totally agree the sooner the better

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

He said that to escape the linkage to Tolkein.

Like Tolkein both were actually writing about WW2 regardless of what they actually said.

Nor does Martin deny the WW2 link, he says ' I was more immersed in etc ' = not a denial.

In fact, in the previous sentence he confirms the link to WW2.

" I’m not writing allegory either, but I live in these times, and it’s inevitable that they’re going to have some influence on me. £

The influence is clear.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: englishdissident
Like Tolkein both were actually writing about WW2 regardless of what they actually said.

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings was not written about WW2, a point he constantly reiterated. It was (he admitted) influenced by the struggle he experienced in WW1, for example Frodo's symptoms resembled PTSD. Other than that it was a story about good versus evil.

The OPs appraisal is trying too hard to draw parallels between GOT and WW2. However, like many fantasy novels the characters and races seem dawn and modelled from history. The Dothraki seem to have been modelled on the Huns and Monguls, for example.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

We are talking about Martin not Tolkein. GoT ending is obviously symbolic of the END of WW2. Not the story itself.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   

We are talking about Martin not Tolkein. GoT ending is obviously symbolic of the END of WW2. Not the story itself.

Tolkien = Responding to a point above.
GOT = I suggested that GOT did not have parallels to the end of WW2. It does if you bend them together as the OP has done.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

a reply to: stosh64

This part about Tolkien is wrong as he was reflecting about his experience in WW1 or more specifically the Battle of the Somme.

I'm not sure why you are trying so hard to give some deeper meaning to a series of fantasy books or to a TV series. You do know that entertainment can be just that right?
edit on 27-5-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a question for the ATS members forwarding the idea that martin was writing about WWII .

how much imput did martin have on the S8 screenplays ?

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Zero input. He hasn't written a screenplay for the series in years.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
a reply to: StallionDuck

The dragon was destroying cites long before kings landing, now it had a guilty conscious?
Perhaps it melted the throne because it was his moms and only hers?

Also with your thinking Snow should be able to walk trough fire as well?

I don't believe the dragon saw who killed his mom, so why kill John, was stepdad. Lol

Yeah but they always followed the will of their mother.

John could very well walk through fire but then he's a half breed. I don't know that I ever saw a moment where fire didn't affect him.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

He has no fire resistance..

As shown when he burnt his hand on the lantern killing the white that was attacking Mormont in castle black.

It can be argued he has some resistance to cold though, as shown when he fell in the lake north of the wall, and climbed out, then rode uncle benjen's horse back to the wall...

---

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Good info!

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Me me they completely ruined the show. The much hyped White Walkers build up was all wasted. How could they do such ending. Really disappointed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join