It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Has Made A Two-Legged Robot To Deliver Packages To Your Door

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Watching the video of Ford's Digit delivering a package to the doorstep of a home, really makes me realize that we are living in the future that I could only dream about as a kid. It also confirms the sobering fact that automation is going to take millions of jobs.

When the self-driving delivery vans finally arrive, it's going to be a challenge getting packages from the vehicle to the doorstep. That's where Ford's partnership with Digit – a bipedal robot from Agility Robotics – comes in handy.

The main problem is that watching a two-legged robot like Digit can be creepy and disconcerting, especially when it awkwardly walks on its creature-like legs and then bends over – or when it sneakily unfolds itself from the back of the delivery van.

Ford plans to use Digit to carry packages up to 40 pounds when humans aren't around to help grab deliveries from the back of a truck or van. Digit can walk up and down stairs, navigate around obstacles in its path, and stay balanced even after getting bumped. The humanoid can also fold up, so it stows away in the back of the delivery van ready to unfold and carry packages once the van arrives.

Digit has LiDAR sensors and cameras and also can "connect" to the self-driving vehicle, so data and information from the vehicle are sent over to the robot. It's like a futuristic mind-meld to make sure the robot gets to the front door smoothly.

Agility is still testing Digit, but expects to start delivering the robot in the start of 2020. Ford's self-driving plans are aiming for a 2021 launch.

Brace yourselves for a visit from Digit.

Pretty cool idea and has many advantages of a human delivery driver:
- Never gets tired and conceivably deliver packages 24hrs a day.
- Consistent delivery. No more delivery persons tossing packages wherever they please or even causing damage.

Questions not quite answered:
- Looks good on a suburban residential street but what happens when it tries to navigate a busy city street/neighborhood? What if the only
parking available is to double park on a busy street?
- Is there a system in place to prevent theft or vandalism of the robot and/or package?
- What if nobody is home? Will it know when and where to leave a package?
- Weather may be an issue. How well does it fare in deep snow?

Whether we like it or not, robotics are the future and this is an intriguing concept. I just don't think it's ready to replace all of our UPS/USPS drivers just yet.

edit on 23-5-2019 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ed-209 light.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

I know some areas where those cars won't stand a chance.

Those robots will disappear and won't be recognized if ever found.

I hate to say it but the same is true for almost any living being that shows up in those areas.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Where do the lasers fire from?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
That’s next week.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Tell Ford to quit laying people off and building robots and go back to building crappy cars and trucks. That's what they're good at.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthackerthis is an intriguing concept. I just don't think it's ready to replace all of our UPS/USPS drivers just yet.

UPS drivers are really well paid here in the UK. As someone who drops off parcels there every other day I got to know the staff, wow the drivers are on double our British minimum wage. Wow I'm not in the that leage, heck I wanna work there but now you tell me robots are gonna take any potential jobs. Bugger

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I'm guessing if this ever does get rolled out, it will be in the suburbs with more space and less chance of crime/vandalism.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily.

That's the answer to the jobs problem.
Lose a job delivering , gain a job repairing.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

The desire for cars is dwindling.

Most young people are used to using their phones for transportation. A few clicks and Uber, Lyft, or Mom or Pop, is at the ready.

Beats car notes, insurance payments, gas, and maintenance cost, on minimum wage.
edit on 23-5-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Spelling correction.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily.

Hhahaha
Dunno where you're from but over here in Britain the made in Europe Ford's are just unbelievably unreliable. If the robots are anything like our Fords then UPS gonna have to hire thousands of breakdown crew. Not knocking Ford or USA indeed I love ererything about the States and I'm sure there are good ones out there but from experience over here you wouldn't want a robot made by Ford if you relied on your business getting things done on time

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Looks like it would be stolen right away and sold for scrap.

If you ask me.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Somebody needs to program Digit not to leave packages directly
in front of doors. To the side would be better. If someone
trips over a package , well Digit may get sued for six -digit amounts.

Just a thought, but maybe all robots should be programmed,
at a minimum, to follow OSHA regulations to the letter.

edit on 23-5-2019 by RavenSpeaks because: additional comment

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So a guy drives around with a expensive robot.. packs up the robot, drives to house, wait 1 hour for the robot to walk to front door and drop a package, dog attack robot, man must chase dog away, robot falls over, man throws robot in car and drives home and cry..

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It's all fun and games until some 4-year old is trampled to death. Computers only ever do exactly what they are programmed to do:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

"It absolutely will not stop until the package is delivered"

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
So a guy drives around with a expensive robot.. packs up the robot, drives to house, wait 1 hour for the robot to walk to front door and drop a package, dog attack robot, man must chase dog away, robot falls over, man throws robot in car and drives home and cry..

I think ultimately, the idea is that the vehicle would be autonomous. No human involved at all. As for all of the other obstacles and decisions the robot would encounter, I agree they are a ways off.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

It's all fun and games until some 4-year old is trampled to death. Computers only ever do exactly what they are programmed to do:

Right? I feel Digit is a little less intimidating than most robots these days.

Have you seen Boston Dynamic's robot called "Handle"? That thing is nightmare fuel. Imagine this thing stalking after you.

edit on 23-5-2019 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Questions not quite answered:

Does it dream of electric sheep ?

It seems we are destined to live out the imaginations of our science fiction writers.
edit on 23-5-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join