It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Formula One Legend Niki Lauda has Died aged 70

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It's a sad day for motorsport and those of us who follow motorsport with the announcement this morning that the Legend that is Niki Lauda had died following a bout of influenza likely made worse by the lung transplant Niki had last year.

Niki was Three times a World Champion with his second World Championship coming in 1976 following an horific crash that nealy killed him , badly burned and with damaged lungs from toxic superheated fumes he inhaled Niki returned to racing just forty days later to go on and take the Title ... incredible!

When he left motorsport Niki went on to start his own airlines and since 2012 he became a part of the Mercedes F1 team as non-executive chairman , he lived a full and impressive life and wrote his name large in motorsports history books , he was and still is a legend.

RiP Niki , second to none.

edit on 21-5-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

RiP Niki , second to none.

Heard this earlier on, yesterday afternoon/evening here in Australia.

Niki was Three times a World Champion with his second World Championship coming in 1976 following an horific crash that nealy killed him , badly burned and with damaged lungs from toxic superheated fumes he inhaled Niki returned to racing just forty days later to go on and take the Title ... incredible!

some examples of determination and the strength of the human will some humans have shown as Niki did after that crash are just mind blowing and legendary.

all glasses raised in salute to the legend

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Sad deal. I guess over in Brit land, ya'll get to watch these events. I recall back in the day when they were a big deal on US sports channels.

Now I never hear or see anything about F1 racing here in the US.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That accident was terrible but he came back like a Phoenix. One of my heroes.
edit on 21-5-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

He was a special guy, always liked him. His by far biggest drama was the fatal crash of one of his airplanes.

edit on 21-5-2019 by oloufo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Another legend passes away.
A real hero, not some youtuber/vlogger type.
RIP fella, you were a true Sportsman and an inspiration.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Sad to hear this news. Niki was certainly a legend in motorsports history but as a man I suspect few have the will and determination he displayed as an F1 driver. An inspiring man whom I admired very much. May he rest in peace!

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Sad deal. I guess over in Brit land, ya'll get to watch these events. I recall back in the day when they were a big deal on US sports channels.

Now I never hear or see anything about F1 racing here in the US.

A sad day indeed, RIP brother. The rivalry with Hunt was legendary.

ESPN2 Carrie's it here in the US...I don't miss a race. Monaco this Sunday...go LeClerc!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

A bit of vindication for Niki as Mercedes wins Monaco. A bitter sweet speech from Vettle.

Congratulations to Hamilton on crappy tires! Well done!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Double.

RIP, Niki Lauda. Thanks for the memories!

edit on 26-5-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: DP

new topics

top topics

join