It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: "Maximum Pain" Weapon Under Development

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks to a Freedom of Information Act request some US military research concerning Pulsed Energy Projectiles (PEPs) has recently come to light. A research contract between the Office of Naval Research and the University of Florida in Gainsville concerns the development of a weapon that can deliver a blast of excruciating pain from 2 kilometers away (1.25 miles).

www.newscientist.com
It concerns so-called Pulsed Energy Projectiles (PEPs), which fire a laser pulse that generates a burst of expanding plasma when it hits something solid, like a person (New Scientist print edition, 12 October 2002). The weapon, destined for use in 2007, could literally knock rioters off their feet.

The contract, heavily censored before release, asks researchers to look for "optimal pulse parameters to evoke peak nociceptor activation" - in other words, cause the maximum pain possible. Studies on cells grown in the lab will identify how much pain can be inflicted on someone before causing injury or death.

John Wood of University College London, UK, an expert in how the brain perceives pain, says the researchers involved in the project should face censure. "It could be used for torture," he says, "the [researchers] must be aware of this."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thanks to the Sunshine Project we know about the development of this new "crowd control" weapon.

I have heard of microwave weapons used to generate heat on the surface of the skin at a distance and I also heard some eyewitness accounts of demonstrators in Florida (don't remember the occasion) reporting about tazer like weapons mounted on trucks and used on the crowd.

Let me guess... some of you think this kind of research is a great idea.

Too me, it looks like another way to cattle-prod we citizens into submission is about to be unleashed upon us. Go quietly into those concentration camps or you will either be cooked, shocked or receive "maximum" pain, not to mention its potential use for torture.

Just look at how trigger happy police have become with a "non-lethal" option like tazers. What will they do with something like this?

"Hey Jim watch me make that (insert derogative term here) squirm in pain from six blocks away!.. he.. he...hee!"

What happened to good old non-lethal tear gas and sticks?

[edit on 3/2/2005 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Exactly, theres no reasonable use for this, i think its absolutely f*cking disgusting

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It is called marriage.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Great find Gools.

I do hope those enthralled with North Korea's putative nukes might take a peek under their own blankets. ...This stuff isn't just close to home - it's right in bed with us!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
A recent article from The Economist discusses the microwave weapons I mentioned and a couple of others. One of which is deployed in Iraq without proper testing having been completed.

Earlier this year, American soldiers in Iraq were equipped with a Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) to use in western Iraq. It is a sort of mega-megaphone, able to blast sounds (such as crowd-dispersal instructions in Arabic) in a narrow beam and with great clarity at a deafening 150 decibels. The LRAD can also make a deafening screeching noise, like a fire alarm. This sound can incapacitate anyone within 300 metres by giving them an instant headache. According to Carl Gruenler of American Technology Corporation, the San Diego firm that makes the LRAD, “you definitely don't want to be there” within 100 metres of the noise. The device is intended to be used in short bursts at a distance of 300 metres, since longer exposures could lead to permanent hearing loss.

Indeed, it is only now, months after it was deployed in Iraq, that the LRAD is being scientifically scrutinised by a body other than the company that sells it.

The United States Air Force has developed a microwave weapon, called “active denial technology”, that would incapacitate crowds ...

Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic radiation, like visible light or radio waves. If strong enough, the radiation can penetrate clothing and cause water molecules just below the surface of the skin to vibrate. These vibrating molecules heat up [this is how a microwave oven works!]and create a burning sensation...

The microwaves are emitted in a tight beam that can be swept across a crowd or directed at specific individuals.

It is not only human-rights activists and conspiracy theorists(
) who regard NLWs with suspicion. Without rigorous, peer-reviewed research into the effects of all of these devices on people, it is impossible to be sure that they are any safer than batons and rubber bullets. The term “non-lethal” is something of a misnomer, since weapons described as such do not have to pass any specific test to demonstrate their non-lethal nature, and nearly all NLWs can kill if used in a certain manner.

The future of crowd control

Still looking for a "credible" reference to those crowd tazers I heard about on Democracy Now.

edit: added microwave oven commentary in quote

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ahh...

An ATS thread on the Crowd Taser with a reference from New Scientist.

SCI/TECH: Zapping the Masses - Stun Guns for Crowd Control

Thanks Valhall.

There were reports of these being used in Florida at the Free Trade Area of the Americas Summit.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There is some new info on the stun strike from XADS on American Antigravity. It appears that they have some newer conceptual models.

Not the best computer graphics, but it does show you what it will probably look like. I am all for non-lethal weapons, but making them have "maximum" pain seems to defeat the purpose. I thought we were trying to get away from the barbarianism that death is, but then again maybe death is better than being tortured? It just goes back to who is using the technology.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Non-lethal weapons aren't supposed to tickle. "Maximum pain" goes away, a gunshot wound to the face doesn't.

Tear gas and sticks can be easily over come by a rag and a little bit bigger stick.

"It could be used for torture," he says, "the [researchers] must be aware of this."

I can use a pair of pliers for torture. That's just emotional BS pandering to those that like to hear it.

I am all for non-lethal weapons, but making them have "maximum" pain seems to defeat the purpose.

I think the only thing that would defeat the purpose of a non-lethal weapon would be to make it lethal. The more pain you feel the quicker you stop doing what you shouldn't be.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete

The more pain you feel the quicker you stop doing what you shouldn't be.

BTW - Exactly why do you think the USA needs such a delightful assortment of crowd control weapons and hi-tek cattle prods?

XL5

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If you wear a fine mesh chainmail suit, microwaves and high voltage/plasma can not enter. An orgasmic spray would be a better use of tax dollars, who would want to be protected if the spray hit them?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As the United States military moves into third world countries they are destined to encounter hostile civilian resistance that does not justify lethal force. These people are already familiar with traditional riot control methods and recognize simple counter-measures (as someone posted earlier rags particularly damp ones are effective against tear gas). In order for the military to maintain a forceful presence while still remaining "humane" and protecting soldiers they must make technological advances. Remember the debacle that UN peace keepers were presented with in Somolia? They were forced to have unloaded guns and many were injured by civilians throwing rocks and the like, had effective "non-lethal" been available perhaps harm could have been avoided.

Just some thoughts

-A

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
OK maximum pain. I'm thinking something which DOES NOT cause pain rather affects the nerves such that the victim will become 'paralysed' would be more kind ethically and morally. Whether or not this is possible, it seems such a more humane thing rather than a 'non-lethal maximum pain' weapon which will incapacitate the victim.

Either causing death or maximum pain in an attempt to control someone is imho a barbaric act. You'd think hopefully someday a painless 'paralysis' would be possible with the technology they come up with these days. Hopefully in the near future this will be possible.

(What about the olde tranquilizer darts? hehe).

- Nazgarn

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Exactly, theres no reasonable use for this, i think its absolutely f*cking disgusting

You know, I absolutely agree with you. This really is the most disgusting and evil thing I have read and people just don't seem to realise that this is all meant for the people. God, this is sick, it's surpassed my worst expectations, god, it is really going to be hell for you people. I would kill myself before allowing myself to be subject to such torture, because that is worse, it kills your soul.

Nearly everyday I hear about a tazar gun being used on children or fatality, now they are going to have microwaves, ray guns, and these pulse weapons. You're totally and completely scewed.

[edit on 3-3-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey

WTF is this stupid. !@#%-you better stop the peaceful protesting right now son or I'm gonn have to either 1. fry you with my microwave gun 2.blow oyt your ear drums knock you off you feet with an plamsa blast... sooo many choices
EVIL is among us this and PA2 nice stuffs

[edit on 3-3-2005 by Lamagraa]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

BTW - Exactly why do you think the USA needs such a delightful assortment of crowd control weapons and hi-tek cattle prods?

Well I made my point earlier in the thread didn't I? WHY NOT? Why not have a weapon that stops people dead in their tracks rather than weapons that make people dead in their tracks?

This stuff is going to be invented whether the US does it or not.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Okay, I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I've got a crazy idea that just might work.

What if the US were to stop pissing so many people off?

The truth is, as long as there are tyrants, there will be freedom fighters. The only way to effectively quell dissent is to address the issues that led to the rupture in society. Go ahead and develop pain guns, super tazers, chemical riot control agents, LTL technologies of all kinds, it won't stop people from standing up to the bullies wielding the technology, it will just force them to get more creative.

A perfect example is the French Resistance during the Nazi occupation of France during WW2. They were up against arguably the most lethal mechanized war machine of all time, and they defeated it in large part thanks to cashew shell oil and condoms.

The opressors will continue to advance, the resistance will keep pace, forever and ever until someone does something about the underlying problems. That's just a fact.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
A perfect example is the French Resistance during the Nazi occupation of France during WW2. They were up against arguably the most lethal mechanized war machine of all time, and they defeated it in large part thanks to cashew shell oil and condoms.

I've never heard of that, but it sounds like an amazing story. Please tell me more, or somebody tell me where to search for the story.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Cashew shell oil extracted from the shells is caustic and causes burns on the skin. The mucous membranes of the mouth and throat are severely affected when it comes into contact with shell oil or the irritating fumes emitted during roasting. The oily shell liquid has many uses.

That is why you can only buy cashews pre-shelled!

www.nda.agric.za...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Ok, I got the picture now.. Achhh du lieber!!! Yow!

Very creative.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Sorry, but your idea of usa government stop pissing people off would not allow the big corporations to grab the resources of the world and make that extra profit.

The weapons themselves are most interesting, should prove very valuable in insurgancy battles and mixed combatants/non-combatants situations....

As an avid Red Alert player, I was especialy impressed with that "Tesla Tower" that uses an ultraviolet laser to provide an ionized channel to copious amount of electricity through it.

somebody mentioned mesh chainmailes etc... Naturally we will see that countries with armies that can AFFORD it will have their future soldiers in the latest nanotec composite armour suits etc, but meanwhile these non-lethal weapons remain a great dispersian tool against poor angry civilians on flipflops

But again the devil is in the detail : it's all about HOW these weapons are used, most of them, if you add some extra wattage in the decibel, microwave heat or laser or taser department DO be able to kill, its all a matter of responsibillity of those giving the measured response...

I think I will start selling ear-plugs and very dark sunglasses in the middle east, demand is gonna be huuge...Maybe some special silver makeup made from cheap household items applied to the skin could reflect various microwave/laser attacks, you wouldn't believe how resourcefull humans are when confronted with a much more hi-tech force...

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join