It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning the Other Cheek Takes Great Courage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I’ve read quite a few comments over the years of the opinion that “turning the other cheek” is a sign of weakness or of bending to one’s opposition. Far fewer opinions I’ve read are of the mind that having the ability to receive a humiliation, offense, or a blow with passive (but pointed) grace takes fortitude that comes with discipline and forgiveness. I’m definitely of the mind that the latter of those two opinions are true, and that we are at our strongest and our best when we do “turn the other cheek,” and that by doing so we are making the choice to stick with good in the face of evil. Moreover, I also believe that at this moment we are offering our opponent an olive branch or a way out of their evil act or forcing them to double down and strike the proffered cheek (so to speak).

Putting this concept into everyday practice is one of the most direct ways of righting a wrong-- and luckily, in our day-to-day life, most of us will find that the offenses against us are relatively small. Though the greater the offense, the greater the courage to forgive, and the greater accomplishment when it does have an effect on the offender’s heart.

Here’s a great quote from MLK on the subject:

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction ... The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation. (1963)

The way I want to start putting this into play is through true courtesy when I’d otherwise be inclined to be annoyed, through giving the other person the benefit of the doubt, and through biting my tongue before saying (or typing) anything I’d regret. This will help cultivate discipline.

Forgiveness is a lot more difficult. Small things, fine (or should be fine-- sometimes we need a bit of discernment here). Forgiving unrepentant evil is another matter. This level of forgiveness is, in my mind, one of the highest and admirable achievements and like medicine to an agonized soul.

In an amazing case of a man facing his adversaries down with a concept very similar to “turning the other cheek,” Daryl Davis, a black blues musician, made it his mission to befriend as many Klansmen as he could and ended up collecting 200 robes (the men he convinced to give up their membership) as a reminder of the power of grace.
www.npr.org...

That began to chip away at their ideology because when two enemies are talking, they're not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. If you spend five minutes with your worst enemy — it doesn't have to be about race, it could be about anything...you will find that you both have something in common. As you build upon those commonalities, you're forming a relationship and as you build about that relationship, you're forming a friendship. That's what would happen. I didn't convert anybody. They saw the light and converted themselves.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Hope you are having a great week so far!!!

edit on 25-4-2019 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Peace in the Middle East is not going to happen in our lifetimes!

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Very true.

But we can make our own contribution of peace in our realm of influence.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I thought giving the cold shoulder was rude.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: dfnj2015

Very true.

But we can make our own contribution of peace in our realm of influence.

Exactly...

But if ATS is any prognosticator of the future...broken communities, broken ideologies, broken souls...

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ha, true, there's a lot of bs on here but an equal amount of love.
I've seen you encourage writers and tell them to write a screenplay and send it your way.
I've seen and felt tremendous grief when the community lost a member.
I've met life-long friends.
One member randomly picks members to send a gift card to-- I know this because one recipient was kind enough to pass it on to me because he/she was single and thought I could use it more since I had kids.
...And there's much more!

I stay out of the mudpit too though mostly so that does shade my opinion.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I certainly think it takes strength to do whats right at the expense of pride.

Even more so when it's done with grace.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I stay out of the mudpit too though mostly so that does shade my opinion.

One of my guilty pleasures. And it has darkened my spirit, but as I interact in the real world, I am always comforted by the beauty, style, generosity, and graceful humanity I encounter.

It's a chore to stay cynical when surrounded by such an enthralling society and culture.
edit on 25-4-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
at the expense of pride.

What an interesting point-- that pride can often play a heavy factor! It's so important to understand this in order to maybe recognize it when it emerges in us.

Even more so when it's done with grace.

Absolutely.

Have a good one!

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

but as I interact in the real world, I am always comforted by the beauty, style, generosity, and graceful humanity I encounter.

I truly agree my friend. I love people! I can't say this is always my sentiment, but it rings the most true.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Turning the other cheek is all well and good, just remember that you only have two of them.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
Turning the other cheek is all well and good, just remember that you only have two of them.

Four of them*

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Lol, true!

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Absolutely would be a mistake to use this concept as an excuse for another's abuse, and you're right to point out the fact that this does not mean one should withstand abuse either.
It's all about the reaction at the time-- not escalating violence and getting one's self out of harm's way (if possible).

(And it's important to note that there's times to fight the # back.)

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I think it is the other way about, that we are the weakest and at our most submissive when we allow others to abuse us. Defiance is nobler than submissiveness.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tartuffe
I think it is the other way about, that we are the weakest and at our most submissive when we allow others to abuse us. Defiance is nobler than submissiveness.

Yup. I know when people cut me off in traffic instead of just letting it go I run them down and shoot them in the face. Nothing says, 'I showed you, I'm no submissive twat', like a .40 to the forehead.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There comes a time in every mans life when he has to decide. Do I die on my feet or live on my knees?

I believe in dealing from strength. Otherwise you're going to get hurt for sure.
I may turn the other cheek once, Maybe even twice. Eventually someone is going to get the hell knocked out of them.

www.cowboyway.com...
edit on 25-4-2019 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yup. I know when people cut me off in traffic instead of just letting it go I run them down and shoot them in the face. Nothing says, 'I showed you, I'm no submissive twat', like a .40 to the forehead.

And if they steal your cloak do you give them your tunic as well?

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

And if they steal your cloak do you give them your tunic as well?

I don't wear a cloak or a tunic. Are you talking about one of my bespoke suits? No, they wouldn't get it from me since denying someone of theft isn't turning the other cheek.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tartuffe

What if you are being baited?

In that case reaction is submission to the will of your opponent.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join