It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are becoming way too addicted to their phones and being connected

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

it's our imagination and consciousness.

out of the all mamals, addiction runs rampant in our species.(also possible with other simian species)

drugs, electronics, videogames, television...

this has to do with the fact that our species doesnt hibernate; which is why solitary confinement is punishment psychologically, polar bears other mamals or lizards don't have this problem of addiction.

when it's not phones anymore, it will an addiction to VR headset or AR glasses keeping our attention.

I'm addicted to my phone... it's just what I do. when the next thing comes out, I'll do the same to fill the same needs.

I'm definitely not ashamed of being too connected but I do try to cut down on weekends.
edit on 24-4-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I know what you mean, its getting out of hand especially with people texting and looking at them while driving. I also own a flip phone its awesome had it 4 years and haven't cracked the screen yet. Its a Rugby 4 tough phone.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I only look like I'm addicted to my phone. I have hundreds of books in my Kindle app, which I'm always reading.

Bibliophiles have a new resource in technology.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You get to see how bad it is when you are trying to do an exam on a teen after a reported trauma, and you can't get them to put their phone down. They insist that they can continue to text while you are performing the exam and asking questions.

Even with parents present, there is a battle to get them to let go of their phones for a mere twenty minutes or so.

If that was the only problem with phone addiction, I may not be as disturbed by it, but the phone also plays a huge role the crime that brought them to me in the first place.

THAT is on the parents, who failed to teach their children discipline and respect.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yeah, those videos are priceless. 😂

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Most parents today get their parenting skills from, TV, movies, and Facebook.

They often conflate discipline with punishment, and for many, punishment is taboo, and are afraid to discipline their children.

I have had parents tell me that it is against the law to discipline their child. They don't believe me so I have to get the LEO on the team to explain that punishment, even corporal punishment, is not illegal in Florida, as long as it is not abusive.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
So last night we had a pretty bad outage in my area. I went on my phone to see what was up

This is the part where you lost any credibility to make the addiction claims.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I kind of miss doing research and coming here to ATS to see what is happening. I gave up my cell phone about thirteen years ago, the wife has one. I had a cell phone from 88 up until I decided it was not important anymore. We also gave up our microwave, actually that is the best thing we did in a long time. We try to buy the simplest of appliances, like stoves and laundry appliances. I do not like all of that electronic crap on things.

Now, the wife, she is hooked on Facebook, and she reads a lot of books on her Kindle. She keeps her phone on her all the time, she is as bad as my granddaughter sometimes with being connected. But it is cheaper to go on Facebook than to be meeting her friends in a restaurant to have coffee. She still goes to knitting with a group every wednesday, they are on her facebook friends too. When there is a great sale on yarn, her knitting friends inform her.

I check my facebook every day usually, I like some of my relative's stuff and do a little commenting on some threads that the people I know make. I would rather talk to my kids on the phone than message them, but the wife insists messenging is better. She is becoming an addict.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

So last night we had a pretty bad outage in my area. I went on my phone to see what was up

This is the part where you lost any credibility to make the addiction claims.

I put in a new modem, and wanted to check if it was that or if there was a true outage.

You can think what you want, I could easily go long lengths of time without phone, internet or tv.
I can even eat a meal without my nose in my phone!

I

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

In the Police and Fire civic center I work in....the officers have their:

1. Dispatch on radio and phone
2. Their personal cell phones
3. Their city issued cells ( like mine here now)
4. Dash computer/internet
5. Shoulder mic
6. Shoulder or chest body cam
7. Personal and business emails, tweets and Instant messaging...

....and....all day long, even police....have their personal cells to their ears while driving...and all the other devices spitting info out not stop.

The P.D./Fire/Road Comm..is driving distracted, just like the cars behind, next to and in front of them.

Enforcement of laws about distracted driving...is hard without enough officers to enforce them...and they too are most often listening, watching, texting...themselves. It's not gonna change either....especially w self driving cars coming out.

City of Dearborn Mi, Civic Center
edit on 24-4-2019 by mysterioustranger because: No coffee...

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Oh my gosh, that video is hilarious. I was laughing so much and I felt a little guilty. Then I realized they brought it on themselves for a really stupid reason... So, I guess I don't care that much.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Another crazy thing to see is people riding their bicycles alongside cars, whose drivers are looking at their phones while driving. These cyclists must have death wishes.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
Oh my gosh, that video is hilarious. I was laughing so much and I felt a little guilty. Then I realized they brought it on themselves for a really stupid reason... So, I guess I don't care that much.

The bear was 100% quality entertainment. 🤣

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I could watch that all day long!

The amount of people falling into water! That is the best, and they are all shocked too!

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

The problem today is the god dam schools forcing children to use google as research tool. This is just broken. Where teachers no longer teach and past on their knowledge. They tell kids to research on internet for their home work. 21st century, people wonders why kids are coming out of school unskilled and have no clue how to handle physical jobs.

Type an essay? Use google search bar, that is your library. Write a report? Look up examples on Google.

I really hate the educational system today. It doesn't feel right like how teachers are suppose to show the students how to write it out step by step just like father to son/mother to daughter. That doesn't happen anymore. It is time limited and you are forced to do it at home googling the crap out of everything.
edit on 24-4-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they check messages during sex...

I s# you not, that's what my best friend was doing once when I sent a late-night text (so as to not wake their light sleeper baby with a voice conversation) "I'm having sex right now, text you in 5!" Of course I was incredulous, "Tell me you're not serious..." "I'm very serious, 5 minutes, now stop texting!" That was a good decade ago, and I imagine it hasn't gotten any better for society in general. Why it is beyond people to ignore the phone and focus on what you're doing until it's done & over with is beyond me.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

I s# you not, that's what my best friend was doing once when I sent a late-night text (so as to not wake their light sleeper baby with a voice conversation) "I'm having sex right now, text you in 5!" Of course I was incredulous, "Tell me you're not serious..." "I'm very serious, 5 minutes, now stop texting!" That was a good decade ago, and I imagine it hasn't gotten any better for society in general. Why it is beyond people to ignore the phone and focus on what you're doing until it's done & over with is beyond me.

That is just sad beyond belief. What does the other person think, or are they on the phone too? What the heck kind of relationship is that?

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Most of my time on my phone when I'm out of the house is playing Pokemon Go. It's a good incentive to get out and walk. I don't catch while walking though. That's a good way to step off the curb and bust your face, or get hit by a car in a parking lot. I go to a safe place and stop to do my thing.

I always hated going out and sitting silently at the table because the spouse had his nose buried in his phone and not speaking. Honestly though, if I'm out by myself, I see no difference between being absorbed in a novel, puzzle book, or my phone. I'm not with anyone. I'm not depriving my companion of attention. And I sure am not the type of person that engages with strangers.

At work when I'm on break and having a rough day, I will absolutely focus 100% on my phone and ignore the goings on around me. I find I get very negative and down on things when I'm feeling bad, so it's best if I stick to my own company.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

That is just sad beyond belief. What does the other person think, or are they on the phone too? What the heck kind of relationship is that?

Well, they're divorced now. The relationship was a hot mess from the start, she got knocked up a few weeks into them dating and they got married a few months later. Nobody really thought it would last too long, her relatives had a betting pool going at the wedding (I know, classy folks, eh?) but they did manage for about 6 or 7 years & through 2 kids before he couldn't take it anymore and turned to the meth side, and ran off with someone. He hid the drugs very well from everyone, but the side chick was a little obvious when they got arrested for cooking.

I suppose in a way, texting while boinking was a sort of harbinger for them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join