It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain marvel... yes a movie charecter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Now I have recently been savaged for not fawning over the MCU's Captain marvel, apparently I hate women, they intimidate me, I am a virgin loser that lives in my parents basement etc...

Why in the deepest darkest recesses of Zeus's butt hole do I have to be one or the other, Ripley from aliens, Princess leia, Jyn Erso, Sarah Connor, these were all well written strong females that did exceptionally well at the box office in fact I would be willing to bet many of the people that "hate women" because they do not like Captain Marvel liked the majority that I just listed off the top of my head.

In my misogynistic opinion the reason these other female character's were well liked came down to something they all had in common, they were relatable, they made mistakes they were sorry when they screwed up they tried to improve so they didn't make those mistakes again.

Rey from the new star wars, captain marvel, they know everything right off the back rarely if ever make a mistake and can do anything better than everybody without a single issue. (admittedly for Rey the biggest issue is probably the utterly horrific writing for episode 8)

Write me a strong relatable female lead with a good story and I will cheerfully pay to see it in the theaters, give me a mary sue, some shoddy cgi and a weak story that is kind of all over the place and I will pass 10 times out of 10.

I have enjoyed the majority of the MCU movies, but after a decade of growing attached to the original avengers to see her swoop in save the day and not even muss her hair... that will probably kill the MCU for me at least.

I wandered a lot so I will leave with this...

I can dislike a movie because of the premise, the writing, the cgi and probably a laundry list of things I am missing at the moment (allergies suck oon a high pollen day) and have the lack of personality of the actor or actress, sexual orientation, or gender have zero bearing on my like or dislike.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I hear you . I saw it last week. I saw Sazaam the next day and I like it better the Captain Marvel to my surprise. DC is usually the disappointing movie.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
You're living in a much different world than I am, but in any case it still sounds like a First World Problem.
edit on 4/20/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think it's stupid that people automatically think the worst of someone because they don't like something. There are a ton of movies that I don't like and it had nothing to do with sexism. I personally like the movie CM, but to each their own. I hate the movies that push agendas for example and have had people say it's just because I'm conservative or right wing. 🤷‍♀️. As far as Captain Marv being perfect and not having things to overcome, I've seen that in a ton of movies through my whole life. It happens with male actors too, but I think we are just sensitive to the constant pushing of feminism.

I want to see personal development in a character, not someone who is just perfect and had to overcome other people who are inferior... You know, like some James Bond movies. 😂 I personally hate movies who try to tell me what to think and feel. Just tell a good story and don't push any personal agenda, ya know!
edit on 20-4-2019 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I heard people like Obama and Soros bought hundreds of tickets to push it up to #1.

So lame.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Sarah connor, Ripley, Leia, were all sexualized in some way shape or form or were put under the boot of male figures.

Even Erso can be argued in that way as well.

But here is the thing. You can count on almost one hand where strong female roles before Captain marvel came along that didn't fit the typical female character in movies. Captain marvel was supposed to be a broken person, broken down from human to fit the almost autonomous role of the Kree to just be fighting machines and keep domination tactics up.

She lost her humanity along the way. She's just a fighting world saving machine, that's all. She's on the same level as Thor and hulk, an almost god.
I think the movie was pretty good to be honest, and Larson did fit the bill for the one track mind warrior, but the reaction was mainly about Larson, she's not the greatest actor to be honest, and she's very outspoken on neo-feminism. Which, of course made a lot of outspoken, men, freak out. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

And male characters like Thor are never sexualized.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I won't waste my money on it, I'll wait to see it for free on tv.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Sarah connor, Ripley, Leia, were all sexualized in some way shape or form or were put under the boot of male figures.

Yea, and as a female I binge-watch Aquaman just because the plot is so riveting.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Rise of the Mary Sue

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   

The fact is that captain marvel was a failed comic book character that nobody wanted to see in a movie. But in the name of forced diversity we get stuck with it.
Disney has taken over marvel and will soon turn it into another Star Wars franchise.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And you don't hear women going nuts when a male figure isn't portrayed in a sexual way or in a non-'manly' way.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And you don't hear women going nuts when a male figure isn't portrayed in a sexual way or in a non-'manly' way.

I have no idea what you are talking about, no one complained about a woman in that manner. If they did, then yes, I do hear both men and women disparage bad male characters for not being hot enough or man enough. That's why they get a guy like Hemsworth to play Thor, the movie will flop otherwise.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The preaching at me is something else entirely, It can really change my mind on seeing a movie, or buying a video game when the writers or actors/actresses come out telling me how I should act feel or think.

I watch a movie for an escape and enjoyment from the normal typically... sometimes if its based on a historical situation I will watch it to see how badly Hollywood mucks it up.

I purposely tried to avoid the fact that Brie Larson is a hateful narcissist... I think Tom Cruise is a narcissist as well as more than a little nuts in his cult, but I can still watch his movies and enjoy them for the most part since he rarely flaps his gums outside of when the cult tells him what to say and who to say it to.
ETA: the fact that some people and the press hold up larsons hateful rhetoric as something good is just another reason to avoid her work, yea it wont really matter that I don't see her movies but that's all I can do.

Forgot to mention, I feel bad for the Asian actress in Episode 8... she took a lot of flack she didn't deserve all the angst from the original fanbase should have been directed squarely at Rian Johnson for being a horrific director and a worse writer.
edit on 20-4-2019 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Strong women in the movies?
How about Gloria?

Or, Ms. 45?

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Dil from the Crying Game.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Brie Larson is quite possibly the most bland actress I have ever seen....she's got less personality than a cabbage.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Ahh Aquaman, I'm totally binging him this weekend!

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Strong women in the movies?
How about Gloria?

Or, Ms. 45?

Gloria All we want is the book and the kid..

she took on the whole mafia...

Heres the thing I dig a good movie, doesn't matter who the protagonist is or the anti-hero or their sex race religion or sexual orientation or lack thereof. Needs to be a good character, great writing and direction. CM was a character I knew little about, same with Guardians, but GOG put great writing, direction, and development and it had a great ensemble cast and the women characters are strong and well written, does Gamora seem weak same with Nebula.

No this was just about virtual unknown character that fell into the super hero movie trap,that concentrates on their powers and not their personality.

edit on 20-4-2019 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

No, Gamora is darn well not weak, but she is also capable of being vulnerable and making mistakes.

The new feminist hero has zero weaknesses which is why she often turns out to be a Mary Sue like Rey and Captain Marvel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join