It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nostalgic feeling for a time you did not live...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hello ATS guys

I remember listening to this song way before this day, however i watched the video a bit ago and now i feel like i wish i was born to live those days. Have you gone through this at some point in your life?

Specially i would like to mention the dancers, OMFG aren't they amazing? I know the historical meaning of this song but i did not ever watched a live performance of it and it kind of made me feel sad and happy at the same time LOL. I can't explain myself

I wish i had been my age but living the life back then... I guess that's the summary of how i feel right now
LOL

What an amazing singer, what an amazing time and what amazing dancers she had!

I know this may sound dumb and stupid, but my mom was about 2 years old when this song came out lol, i lucked out i guess? LMFAO!

Also very honestly i'm bothered that the girl was cut off the screen as soon as she got the only chance to show her skills :/

I love the orange & white shirt that guy had, i will have to look me up one of those, or have one made lol < 3

edit on 20-4-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I would've loved to have "come of age" as they say,
in the 50's, during the birth of Rock 'n' Roll, or the 60's

I'm a huge fan of Mowtown, Soul, 60's pop music...
The 'original' Boys bands too : The Who, The Kinks, The Beach boys

I've always been into the blues (old blues) as well as a bit of torchlight
Nina Simone, Ella Fiizgerald and of course Billie Holiday :

Excuses for the quality of the image
Cheers for the thread

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
I would've loved to have "come of age" as they say,
in the 50's, during the birth of Rock 'n' Roll, or the 60's

I'm a huge fan of Mowtown, Soul, 60's pop music...
The 'original' Boys bands too : The Who, The Kinks, The Beach boys

I've always been into the blues (old blues) as well as a bit of torchlight
Nina Simone, Ella Fiizgerald and of course Billie Holiday :

Excuses for the quality of the image
Cheers for the thread

So beautiful, right? I love music like this

Also Jazz is so amazing

Kind of makes me feel the same. Wish i had been born way back, so i would have gone through all those great days as the entire thing was happening :/

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Ive always liked this song. And I have felt that way about probably almost every era but my own. Ive wanted to live in late 1800s wild west, early 1900s big band swing and jazz age, and Ive wished I could be an adult during the 80s and 90s, the best 2 decades in my opinion, culturally (economically is another question, every decade since the mid 70s has been increasingly horrifying from an economic standpoint). Before 9/11 when things were still at least optimistic. 90s being superior to 80s by just a couple of levels.

And of course Ive wished I could go to the future. If anything just to attempt to get away from THIS. Getting away from the current problems is the motivation behind all of my time travel fantasies I guess.

I could go to the 1800s, or ancient Rome, or the Roaring 20s and be just fine because I KNOW how the story plays out. I know which of the problems theyre dealing with in their time will he solved and I know the world will not end. I have no such guarantees or comforts in my own time.

I feel "dumb and stupid" for asking, but, I am not sure what the meaning of this is:

I know this may sound dumb and stupid, but my mom was about 2 years old when this song came out lol, i lucked out i guess?

Anyway, I love this kind of music thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

ohh so sorry, that last comment about my mom.. i thought i had deleted it. What i mean is, she was about 2 when this song came out. So she was already late for that party, i was even more since i was born in 1995, basically missing all the 90's as well and about half of the 00's lol :/

It was a dumb thought so i did not continue on it but somehow it went through anyway lol

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Malisa

Ive always had much nostalgia for the late 60’s, what’s curious is when I watch old footage or hear music from those times it’s like I’m all to familiar with it. As if I was actually alive in those days... Maybe I actually was? Maybe you were too?

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Don't worry. I predicted all that will come back in the next couple of years.

I've seen hip hop - rap people listening Black Sabbath, ACDC, Righteous Brothers, Mamas and the Papas, and even Pink Floyd. It's a trend already.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Pretty crazy times those 80s were!

Flashdance, the movie starring someone else. The name of the actual dancer was not even shown in the credits. The actual person whose life story was portrayed got $2,300 while the film reaped $150,000,000. Good times!

At least the lyrics were actually written by Irene Cara and Keith Forsey.

For me, the 80s were a time of irreconcilable differences; not just one, but three breaks of different kinds.

Maureen Marder sold her life story, and in a way, I did too.

Some of my life in the 80s is still classified,
some has been obscured through the changing of dates
to protect the guilty in high places,
who pass on to be eulogized in hagiography.

No chance to set the record straight.
Oh, the memories!
Let's hear it for nostalgia!

edit on 20-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
50's and 60's era ... ever since I can remember I have loved everything about that era! Unfortunately I was born 30 years too late, but I look back with fondness like I was there! ... I wish *sigh*

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

I was a teenager in the 60's. Great times indeed.

Watching how bands evolved through those years was amazing. Their music changed beyond recognition in such a short space of time. The Beatles went from " She Loves You " to " A Day In The Life " in just 4 years. The Stones went from " Not Fade Away " to " Gimme Shelter " in the same amount of time. It was breathtaking to listen to.

Anyway.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

It was great wasn't it? that massive change in a 2 decade span leading into the 70's.

I don't feel like we have that nowadays so much, Mostly feels like it has been stagnant for nearly two decades, with the odd exception.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Ive always had much nostalgia for the late 60’s, what’s curious is when I watch old footage or hear music from those times it’s like I’m all to familiar with it. As if I was actually alive in those days... Maybe I actually was? Maybe you were too?

Yes i considered that too!

Like, why this specific song moves me so much? Why do i feel a bit like crying with this other song as if there is something that links me to it? Even got a feeling of missing someone very hard from a 30's song i listened a some time ago :S

There is some kind of magic going around all of this, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Ive always liked this song. And I have felt that way about probably almost every era but my own. Ive wanted to live in late 1800s wild west, early 1900s big band swing and jazz age, and Ive wished I could be an adult during the 80s and 90s, the best 2 decades in my opinion, culturally (economically is another question, every decade since the mid 70s has been increasingly horrifying from an economic standpoint). Before 9/11 when things were still at least optimistic. 90s being superior to 80s by just a couple of levels.

And of course Ive wished I could go to the future. If anything just to attempt to get away from THIS. Getting away from the current problems is the motivation behind all of my time travel fantasies I guess.

I could go to the 1800s, or ancient Rome, or the Roaring 20s and be just fine because I KNOW how the story plays out. I know which of the problems theyre dealing with in their time will he solved and I know the world will not end. I have no such guarantees or comforts in my own time.

I feel "dumb and stupid" for asking, but, I am not sure what the meaning of this is:

I know this may sound dumb and stupid, but my mom was about 2 years old when this song came out lol, i lucked out i guess?

Anyway, I love this kind of music thanks for sharing

If time travel was possible, i would not like to know i came from the future. Because i would know we failed badly lol, if i had to go back to run away from current reality..

I dont think we have failed, well is not like i had my chance to do stuff already he he.. so give a chance to make things right?

If i were able to go the past to live a simpler happier life, i would chose to not remember anything but instead to just know i need to make the best out of it and to keep my current knowledge in the form of "i could make this tech better, wait just got an idea that will change the world!". All of that but without knowing how bad things turned out

I feel like people from the future would not want to have anything to do with us, as much as people from the past continually tell us that we have made the world a crap place

Past generations keep being agressive towards our milenial stuff and all that crap they don't want anything to do with, future people probably would think the same about current us, for the exact same reason

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Check this out.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Malisa, your thread has sent me down a big 'ol rabbit hole !

Way before Justin Timberlake and so many others,
Cry Me a river was 'nothing more' than a scene in a film..

Off on another tangent (thanks You Tube !)
Canned heat:

This one always blows me away
Santana, Soul Sacrifice, at Woodstock
Check out the drummer !

edit on 22-4-2019 by Cassi3l because: Happy Easter, go easy on the chocolates ;=)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
Malisa, your thread has sent me down a big 'ol rabbit hole !

Way before Justin Timberlake and so many others,
Cry Me a river was 'nothing more' than a scene in a film..

Off on another tangent (thanks You Tube !)
Canned heat:

This one always blows me away
Santana, Soul Sacrifice, at Woodstock
Check out the drummer !

I got to watch Santana play when i was about 7, I did not know who he was or how much he contributed to the music world :/

I believe music like this moves the world forward without a lot of people noticing, every generation or two.. And then there are some that say "i don't like them" LOL

I like these songs a lot, i went through tons of music from the past even including Robert Johnson with "Crossroads". I would not just like to relive the time through that same music.

I would very much like to have another decade or two with new music that moves the world forward in the same way they caused it to move back then

But I'm old enough to know how to keep my breath going without suffering through the pains of longing for a silly dream

I predict i won't get to see another music revolution like that one :/

I do have my favorites from today's world, as we all do
But i thought it would be different by now, i guess i was a silly kid when i though it was true that every 10 years or so a new band came out that changed the world
LMFAO
edit on 23-4-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This song is also something that causes feelings for me.

This could probably give a lot of context for lots of ATS guys as well as it does to me

But for me the context is, I was born the year this song came out.. So when this song came out, i was getting my diapers changed by my mom... LMFAO!

LOL sorry it's just so funny to think about that, at least for me

And when this other song came out, i was like 9 and it impacted me in ways i would need a thread or two to describe LOL

You guys may say whatever but i love Gwen and she's awesome, and not so simple and plain like Taylor or Ariana bunny girl

Growing up I feel had a great deal of knowledge about previous artists like Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, Suzi Quatro and lots of other great singers from before..

I knew there was better stuff out there so i kept going back and ended up listened to so much great stuff that as you can tell I know we don't have the best or anything close to it.

I don't dislike my current music at all, but i know we can do better and like i said before, I would so much like to have a new revolution but I won't hold my breath waiting for it

I like Eminem, I don't like that idiot Kanye, Ozuna or Cardi... I guess i'm old style yo

edit on 23-4-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Take my breath away.... < 3

edit on 24-4-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Never mind
edit on 24-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

No Doubt - Don't Speak

You and me, we used to be together
Every day together, always
I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end
It looks as though you're lettin' go
And if it's real, well, I don't want to know

Yeah 1996, the year I became a monk.
I can easily picture my ex-fiancé singing that.

Second verse would be me singing:

Our memories, well, they can be inviting
But some are altogether mighty frightening

A monk of which religion?

It seems a bit weird

Could you tell me about this one song which has a mix of Aztec and catholic beliefs all mixed up with death?

Or what about this one from Ukrayna, what does it mean to you?

I feel like you should have elaborated more if you wanted to talk about the religion side of music. Because i'm pretty sure I won't follow you and most people won't either if you just try to bait us

But congrats to get this thread going into that road, which was not meant to be at all, ever. So now speak up or ...

I mean if you want to talk about that aspect, at least you should be prepared to actually know about the thing, right? Don't you come telling us about your one sided aspect based on your current religion and country's way of seeing things, that would sound ridiculous

But you started by just doing that
You should have said "here i come look at this and marvel!" instead of "I'm here and i want to bait you into listening to me with two or tree words and a quote from a song nobody posted because i can't break the ice with clear honest shocking truths otherwise, but i hope you will get interested in what i have to say"

I'm going to be very honest, don't mention you are a monk and just quote some pop song. Explain yourself or don't say it at all.

Let's not talk about the Aztec rock song, let's talk about the Monk song from Ukranya, You must know what i want to know about that song, you are a monk so you have to get it

And so here we are....

I'm not a nice person when things like this happen, and i'm sorry for that. I just don't like religion in how people tries to spread it thinking everyone is a fish out there. Just No.

You should know that the Monk song from Ukranya is very old, it is a folk song from very old times, so not a modern rock/folk song at all
And it is about a Monk with certain urges he can't contain LMFAO

<<   2 >>

join