It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Quantum Computer Can Hold a Superposition of Many Possible Futures Simultaneously

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is what humans do but A.I. will do it more efficiently because it will be able to process data extremely faster than we do without human noise.

A team of scientists says they've built a quantum computer that generates a superposition of several possible futures the computer could experience.

The research, published Tuesday in Nature Communications, describes how this quantum system could help futuristic artificial intelligence learn much faster than it can today - and it could mean quantum computers are finally becoming practical tools.

Right now, artificial intelligence learns by analyzing example after example and looking for patterns. The scientists behind this research argue that their quantum superpositions could vastly improve the process.

"By interfering these superpositions with each other, we can completely avoid looking at each possible future individually," Griffith researcher Farzad Ghafari said in the press release.

"In fact, many current artificial intelligence algorithms learn by seeing how small changes in their behaviour can lead to different future outcomes, so our techniques may enable quantum enhanced AIs to learn the effect of their actions much more efficiently."

www.sciencealert.com...

Again, this is what we do.

I remember deciding whether I wanted to go into the Army or the Air Force. I weighed both possibilities but I was limited when it came to the information and experience that might occur with each possibility. I could read pamphlets and talk to people who were in the Army and Air Force then make a decision.

Today, you would have an overwhelming amount of data but even still, you would eventually be overwhelmed with so much data.

A.I. will not have that problem. It would make correlations in the mountains of data about the Air Force and the Army and then it could correlate that data with with your social media footprint and say there's an 85% chance you will like the Air Force and a 15% chance that you will like the Army.

This is where a lot of people get confused about A.I. A.I. exists today. We have intelligent systems that learn everything from Poker to spotting different Cancer. Artificial Intelligence is everywhere.

Artificial intelligence is everywhere, watching almost all modern-day human behaviors

www.washingtontimes.com...

Artificial Intelligence is Everywhere

www.acrdsi.org...

You often here strong A.I. which means A.I. acting like humans which to me is kind of ridiculous. We're saying A.I. has to be just like us in order to be A.I.

Egocentric humans always makes it about them.

There's intelligence which can be quantified and Consciousness which I think is non computable and about qualia a la Penrose.

Intelligence is about how quickly you can make correlations in the data. The faster you can make these correlations, the more you learn. A.I. can do this very well today. It doesn't matter if A.I. is aware of what it's doing. It doesn't matter if A.I. thinks about what it's doing like we do. In fact, A.I. or dumb A.I. becoming superintelligent could be dangerous. This A.I. will just be a blind, intelligent, goal seeker.

This new discovery will make A.I. like an oracle to us. Just imagine looking at multiple outcomes before you make a choice. Right now, we research data online but that can only go so far because of our limited capacity to store data in our brains alongside so much human noise like going to the movies, reading a book, planning a Wedding and more. A.I. will not have any of this and will really just shut up and calculate 24/7.

So you will no longer have to imagine what might happen if you make choice A, B or C, A.I. will be able to process all of the data associated with each choice along with your history and present to you what each choice will probably be like. With immersive virtual reality, you will be able to experience each choice before you make a choice.

edit on 10-4-2019 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
That sounds cool. I wish I was born 5 years from now in order to take advantage of stuff like that growing up.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Egocentric humans always makes it about them.

Isn't that true though?

This new discovery will make A.I. like an oracle to us

See even you agree!

Another great thread

S & F

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My bad!
edit on 10/4/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

The original article really doesn't say much of anything other than 2 superpositions of 16 possibilities. Should say 16 probabilities lol. I can make a prolog relational dynamic database that has multiple virtual superpositions and billions of probabilities that are mathematical and randomized pointing at trillions of possible mathematical "futures" lol.

Somebody tacks "quantum computer" on crap and we're all supposed to just lap it up? I don't think so.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 4/10.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

LOL, okay message board genius.

Crap? A Paper published in Nature Communications is crap because you don't have a clue as to what your talking about. Here's the paper.

Interfering trajectories in experimental quantum-enhanced stochastic simulation

Simulations of stochastic processes play an important role in the quantitative sciences, enabling the characterisation of complex systems. Recent work has established a quantum advantage in stochastic simulation, leading to quantum devices that execute a simulation using less memory than possible by classical means. To realise this advantage it is essential that the memory register remains coherent, and coherently interacts with the processor, allowing the simulator to operate over many time steps. Here we report a multi-time-step experimental simulation of a stochastic process using less memory than the classical limit. A key feature of the photonic quantum information processor is that it creates a quantum superposition of all possible future trajectories that the system can evolve into. This superposition allows us to introduce, and demonstrate, the idea of comparing statistical futures of two classical processes via quantum interference. We demonstrate interference of two 16-dimensional quantum states, representing statistical futures of our process, with a visibility of 0.96 ± 0.02.

Here's more from the conclusion.

Our multi-step photonic implementation of a stochastic simulation has verified the memory advantage available with quantum resources. We have demonstrated that it is possible to maintain this advantage at all stages of the simulation by preserving quantum coherence, as opposed to previous experiments8,36. Further, we have shown that superpositions of process outcomes can be interfered. These techniques have the potential to reduce memory requirements in simulations of stochastic processes and to provide tools for advances in quantum machine learning and communication complexity.

The comparison of future statistics has direct relation to other protocols, such as quantum fingerprinting and state comparison in communication complexity. Fingerprinting involves estimating the distance between two vectors, where the resource to be minimised is the amount of communication. For the comparison of two vectors, quantum mechanics can reduce the amount of communication required beyond classical limits. In the quantum protocol, Alice and Bob perform a SWAP test—a quantum information primitive, which compares two arbitrary states. Two-photon interference is known to be equivalent to a SWAP test. Our comparison of futures can be cast as a similar problem. In this case, the task would be for Alice and Bob, who each have their future statistics from potentially different processes, to compare the two statistical futures34. In principle, for very high-dimensional Hilbert spaces, a comparison of statistical futures via two-photon interference can achieve a quantum advantage in communication complexity. The comparison of two vectors is also an important component of many machine learning tasks, and thus a similar advantage could extend to more general settings like speech recognition.

www.nature.com...

This could be very big for the future of Quantum Computing and AI. This should be obvious to a message board genius, but maybe you didn't read the paper.

First, when it comes to AI, this could be a very big deal. One of the things that stop some machine learning systems to be widely used is because it takes up so much memory. Take Libratus, the A.I. that beat experts at no limit poker, it had to play millions of games against itself which had to be run on a supercomputer because it needed a lot of memory.

With a system like this, it could do the same thing and use less memory. So the system could play these games and simulate the outcomes without the need for a Supercomputer.

Secondly, the benefits for quantum computing can be big. With a photonic quantum information processor that's scaled up, they could simulate classical outcomes. It's the same thing insurance companies or banks do but with this system, A.I. could extremely precise on just about everything and use less memory to do these things.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
That sounds cool. I wish I was born 5 years from now in order to take advantage of stuff like that growing up.

That would be cool.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Yep and I don't see any repeatable experiments, just claims. It's pretty easy to say quantum this or that. Are you in this field, meaning quantum entanglement, Bose-Einstein condensate, EPR/ER solutions, etc?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

What?

You can't say quantum this or that and get published in Nature Communications. You can't be serious. Of course Scientist will mention Quantum Mechanics, it's one of the most powerful scientific theories we have.

It makes no sense to hear a Scientist talking about Quantum Mechanics in a paper published in Nature Communications and call it crap without reading it because you see the word quantum. That's just asinine

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   
This actually doesn't sound like a big deal because even if a computer can emulate human thought and then amplify that, it is still based on something that had the end goal of emulating a flawed mind. Humans are often wrong about what's going to happen in the next few seconds. So let's say that a computer can do the same thing for the next 10 years that a human can do for the next ten seconds, it would probably still be wrong most of the time unless the probable outcome was so obvious that you shouldn't even need a computer to guess anyway.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

What?

You can't say quantum this or that and get published in Nature Communications. You can't be serious. Of course Scientist will mention Quantum Mechanics, it's one of the most powerful scientific theories we have.

It makes no sense to hear a Scientist talking about Quantum Mechanics in a paper published in Nature Communications and call it crap without reading it because you see the word quantum. That's just asinine

Yes, serious :-) as I said, where is the repeatable experimentation? Where is the empirical data? All I see are claims, nothing concrete. As far as the credibility of any publishing house, this depends on who is paying them. Hasn't nature run positive pieces on anthropromorphic and anthropogenic global warming and climate change, publishing papers from sources with proven fudged documentation?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Aren't we overly dependent all ready?

What's to say this becomes as regular as a shower. When in doubt, you ask the all seeing eye...or more appropriately, ask the 8 Ball..lol

I'm not so sure that's the path we should take.
It sounds to me like we are putting waaaaay too much faith in external guidance. On a theological level, will prayer be phased out? On a societal level, are we studied individually to find the best solutions, or are human behaviors analyzed across the board?

I'm not sure I want to see this come to fruition. We are more than this. To me, its actually a step backwards...as if we are scared to take chances, or too ignorant to even begin. It's like cheating, but cheating yourself. Denying your humanity...what it is that bring us joy and sorrow. You know, freewill. I guess no one is going to force this on anyone, but no one forced mobile phones on everyone and look at where we are now.

Are we not already too reliant on technology? What safe guards are in place so that those future outcomes are not purposely geared to fail? Or what if its weaponized against chosen targets to manipulate your life in the direction it chooses?

What if it's always correct?

What would life be without learning from our mistakes.

Who would we be other than drones on a grid that tells us everything we should be and do and think...

Granted, I'm not saying we're not experiencing a bit of that now, but at full speed ahead, what would we become?

Its interesting, but far from utopian if it means we become more like metal and wires instead of who we are meant to be, flesh and blood.

Again, not feeling this one.

edit on E30America/ChicagoThu, 11 Apr 2019 01:54:07 -05004amThursdayth01am by EternalShadow because: edit

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
This actually doesn't sound like a big deal because even if a computer can emulate human thought and then amplify that, it is still based on something that had the end goal of emulating a flawed mind. Humans are often wrong about what's going to happen in the next few seconds. So let's say that a computer can do the same thing for the next 10 years that a human can do for the next ten seconds, it would probably still be wrong most of the time unless the probable outcome was so obvious that you shouldn't even need a computer to guess anyway.

What?

You said:

So let's say that a computer can do the same thing for the next 10 years that a human can do for the next ten seconds, it would probably still be wrong most of the time unless the probable outcome was so obvious that you shouldn't even need a computer to guess anyway.

Just think about what you said and you will realize it makes no sense.

Why will A.I. be wrong most of the time when it has big data? You do understand we need A.I. because of all of the data we're creating. Humans can't make correlations in the data because it's too much and it will just get bigger with the internet of things. A.I. is right most of the time with predicting survival rates of people with ovarian cancer based on CT scans because of big data.

AI system four times better at predicting ovarian cancer patient survival than other methods

A.I. is better at predicting these survival rates because of data.

The new AI tool has been developed to offer doctors a better guide to how best treat a specific patient. The machine learning algorithm was trained on 10 years' worth of CT scan and tissue sample data from 364 women. Four tumor characteristics were evaluated retrospectively by the system: structure, shape, size and genetic makeup. The system was then able to give each patient a disease severity rating called a Radiomic Prognostic Vector (RPV).

newatlas.com...

So A.I. will mostly be right in it's predictions and 100 times better than humans because they can look at more data than we can and make correlations within the data set. Look at how much data we're creating.

The data volumes are exploding, more data has been created in the past two years than in the entire previous history of the human race.

Data is growing faster than ever before and by the year 2020, about 1.7 megabytes of new information will be created every second for every human being on the planet.

By then, our accumulated digital universe of data will grow from 4.4 zettabyets today to around 44 zettabytes, or 44 trillion gigabytes.

Every second we create new data. For example, we perform 40,000 search queries every second (on Google alone), which makes it 3.5 searches per day and 1.2 trillion searches per year.

Facebook users send on average 31.25 million messages and view 2.77 million videos every minute.

We are seeing a massive growth in video and photo data, where every minute up to 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube alone.

www.forbes.com...

The list goes on and on.

This is basic stuff but everyone doesn't know it so let me recap.

A.I. will not make faulty predictions like humans because of big data. The more data you have, allows A.I.to make more accurate predictions. This is because A.I. can process more data than we can and make correlation in the data set.

Here's one more example.

AI beats doctors at predicting heart disease deaths

How did A.I. do this? Big Data.

The model was designed using the electronic health data of over 80,000 patients, collected as part of routine care, and available for researchers on the CALIBER platform.

www.sciencedaily.com...

A.I. can look at the health data of 80,000 patients and make correlations in the data. A human will read one page and forget over half of it by the time they're finished.

They will keep reading the first page until they learn, then go to the second page and do it again and by the time they get to the fifth or sixth page they will have to go back to the first to refresh their memory. How can you make correlations in the data and make accurate predictions this way. A.I. can process a million pages and correlate a data point on page 999,000,000 with information it processed on page 3.

Do you see how powerful this is?

new topics

top topics

join