It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Practically an entire Oklahoma sheriff’s office just quit.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Ever spend some time in a mash tun right after a brew? That's the kind of heat no one can handle for more than 15 minutes at a time. And that's the kind of heat we're talking when it came to Maricopa County.

If you look at the cases that found the MCSO in violation of the Constitution, the tent camps weren't in question. They were a dumb gimmick that were ultimately tied to a higher recidivism rate for the county.

What was the actual Hell were there non-ventilated cells that would reach 160 in the summer.
edit on 3/20/2019 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Stop arguing with whataboutisms and deal with the OP.

A large proportion of the sherrif's dept. quits because a judge tries to force a sherrif's office to succumb to something they feel is unjust/unsafe.

Is the judge right? Is the sherrif?

Go from there.

Personally I applaud the sherrif and think the judge should should be investigated.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I hope people don't really think like that. When people stop caring about the conditions of jails terrible things happen.

Yea tell us about it. Have you seen the Brazilian prison videos?? They regularly chop up their rival inmates I to pieces of meat, and sometimes play sock puppets with severed heads, ripping organs out of bodies with their bare hands, even still beating hearts.

Their government has an unofficial policy of "let the animals annihalate each other from the Earth.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's not only the prisoners who are exposed to the carbon monoxide and other chemicals that cause ill health, it is the Sheriff and officers too. The county could get into a lot of trouble if a prisoner sued them because they got carbon monoxide poisoning. Fix the damn jail already.

Are there no legal protections in the workplace? Are employers required to ensure the working environment has been risk assessed and remedial action taken to mitigate (as in this case) toxins or risk of electrocution? What is the risk for the employer if an employee makes a personal injury claim? Do workers have the right to pursue a class action against the employers for negligence?

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: Shamrock6

So far there’s no word whether any agency at all intends to investigate the allegations.

And this is a problem. If no official agency ever gets involved, is there anything the citizens could do?

Citizens can support the workers who were expected to work in that environment. By approaching the judge and raising concerns, the sheriff/s supported staff rights to not have to work in such appalling conditions that were hazardous to their health and wellbeing.

The sheriff's department has taken collective action to both protect staff against injury or illness and to raise awareness of systemic corruption. The staff have made a stand, citizens can either support it or continue to allow employers to exploit and disrespect workers.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   

It's up to the city PD now to follow suit. If they resign too, then there won't be much choice than to do something about the problems.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
There is a LOT of corruption in the justice system........

and its easy for people to say that just because someone is an inmate they arent human....or to act like they dont have rights, until its THEIR turn in the same situation.......

When I was younger I was stupid and ended up in jail for minor charges.......it didnt mean I wasnt human, and didnt mean that I wasnt a productive member of society, I made some stupid mistakes....I had just gotten out of the Marines and was struggling to adapt to civi life........

I turned my life around yes, but still suffered, and sometimes still do from the stigma of such.....

People shouldnt rush so quick to judge, and shouldnt look down their noses........the same system we know is corrupt at any time could decide YOU are in violation......

its important to fight for justice and the rights of people, and not just when it suits our needs, but its often these people who all the sudden find themselves in that position, that all the sudden they are advocates......

Everyone deserves to be treated IMHO with rights, and to an extent in accordance to their crime......I get it if youre a murderer or a child molester or someone who has done horrible things to someone else..........

But the fact is MOST that are locked up dont fall into these categories......

it would be wise of people to remember that, and be aware of egregious acts by those who would see you behind bars......

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's not only the prisoners who are exposed to the carbon monoxide and other chemicals that cause ill health, it is the Sheriff and officers too. The county could get into a lot of trouble if a prisoner sued them because they got carbon monoxide poisoning. Fix the damn jail already.

From the looks of things there, the judge is only spending money on trips to Greece, and bribes.
(And probably a Pelosi style spending habits with other people's money). (Fixing things in town is no fun).

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
A fun little tidbit - even the SO’s K9 “resigned” by signing his handler’s resignation letter with a paw print.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
A fun little tidbit - even the SO’s K9 “resigned” by signing his handler’s resignation letter with a paw print.

That's funny but it's the little anecdotes like this that will probably get the story even more traction.

'Jail failing down due to rampant corruption' doesn't garner as much attention as 'cute K9 resigns'.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I'll be interested to see ATS' reaction to this. A few years ago when a judge found the conditions of the Maricopa County Jail to be unconstitutional the general consensus on here was that it didn't matter because these people were criminals.

I wonder if they'll feel that way in this case or if they were simply using that as an excuse in the past so they didn't have to condemn alt-Right hero Joe Arpaio.

Either way, if the claims are proven true, then good on the sheriff and her department. Hopefully this judge goes to jail for a long time.

Nothing like rehabilitating these people back into society, I mean like this kind of negative reinforcements work right...

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

The letter of resignation

Obviously prisons aren't suppose to be club med, but this is a county jail, there are prisoners in there temporarily from anything from drunken disorderly conduct to murder. It needs to be safe for the employees holding them there first, and secondly for the inmates. If the government is too broke to fix it then close it. OSHA should be connected and a professional assessment made for what needs to be done before it reopens. The Judge doesn't care about anybody or safety. Maybe one of his superiors at the state level should order him into a mandatory safety coarse and how it relates to the law.
edit on 22-3-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I'll be interested to see ATS' reaction to this. A few years ago when a judge found the conditions of the Maricopa County Jail to be unconstitutional the general consensus on here was that it didn't matter because these people were criminals.

I wonder if they'll feel that way in this case or if they were simply using that as an excuse in the past so they didn't have to condemn alt-Right hero Joe Arpaio.

Either way, if the claims are proven true, then good on the sheriff and her department. Hopefully this judge goes to jail for a long time.

That's how I feel...the few I know who end up in prison are not deterred at all.
Conjugal visits, good food, education and yoga classes, medical coverage.

Arent prisons supposed go be place no one wants to go. Not a clean coddling environment.

When my friend got on the kitchen staff he was enjoying himself.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Sheriff is offered a bribe by judge and resigns??? My question is why did they resign instead of arresting the judge?

I thought that is what cops are supposed to do when offered a bribe?
You know some one breaks a law, the police charge them with it.
or am I missing something here?
edit on 23-3-2019 by AtomicKangaroo because: added a 'one'

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor
a reply to: RazorV66 I'm sure you'd love to sit in a tent in 110+ degree weather. We don't have to go the extra mile to make people feel comfortable but we don't need to torture them either.

you call that torture? you sound like you are rather overpampered (probably spend too much time in air-conditioning). YESTERDAY my bedroom (which i was working in, as per norm, and typically my bedroom gets a few degrees higher than the outside temperature), was over 110f. was it a little warm? sure it was, yet not anywhere near torture, i just sweat a little bit. today, right at this minute as i am typing it is over 95f, and it's not even the hottest point of the day yet. so as you can see 110f is not torture at all, you can live and work in it quite well. heck my computer isn't even overheating and it's cooling fan is dead and has been for over a year. so personally i see nothing wrong with prisoners in such temperatures, where such temperatures are part of the area's natural environment. they are people serving time for crimes, they do not need all the optional comforts they are given.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor
a reply to: RazorV66 I'm sure you'd love to sit in a tent in 110+ degree weather. We don't have to go the extra mile to make people feel comfortable but we don't need to torture them either.

you call that torture? you sound like you are rather overpampered (probably spend too much time in air-conditioning). YESTERDAY my bedroom (which i was working in, as per norm, and typically my bedroom gets a few degrees higher than the outside temperature), was over 110f. was it a little warm? sure it was, yet not anywhere near torture, i just sweat a little bit. today, right at this minute as i am typing it is over 95f, and it's not even the hottest point of the day yet. so as you can see 110f is not torture at all, you can live and work in it quite well. heck my computer isn't even overheating and it's cooling fan is dead and has been for over a year. so personally i see nothing wrong with prisoners in such temperatures, where such temperatures are part of the area's natural environment. they are people serving time for crimes, they do not need all the optional comforts they are given.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join