It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand Made, Rolled, and Shaped Pasta

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
I had to look the dish up, and just have to say... yum! Yes, if you do get pictures, please post.

Just for you I will.

You need to get yourself out this way for a homecooked Italian meal at some point.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks, my friend. Talk about an offer I can't refuse!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

You're exactly right, pthena-- watching that video one is struck by the grace and ease of the chef's movements... indicating skill and more than likely many many hours of practice.

Tonight will be my first attempt, and I plan on going easy on myself. Hope it turns out at least edible, lol.

Ok, enough of the lead-up, I'm going in!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Okay, reporting back while the dough and I are resting.

Well that went badly a lot faster than I had expected.

Hahahahahaa!

I tried the 75/25 mix with 100g (well I had to convert to cups) flour per egg.... and it was a crumbly mess. I ended up adding 2 more eggs just to get it to stick together....
anyone that could venture a guess as to how this happened, and whether these noodles are done for already?

The kneading step in the beginning is truly exhausting. Glad the recipe called for a rest, lol.

I was anticipating trouble in the rolling out/shaping stage, not so early on!

I really shouldmake my own vid pthena, just for some good laughs.

I'll let y'all know how the next step turns out-- this should be good!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I'm ready to move on to some more precise artisanship.

Not really. LOL.

That was a serious struggle. I feel physically beat up, this pasta really put me through the ringer!
The dough I made was clearly not as pliable as the dough shown in the vid. It took probably way longer than an hour to roll it out.
The end result was indeed delicious, but I feel like the pasta won this round.

I'll be trying this again (I do think I can get the dough right next time) but not until I give my wrists a long break to recover.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Maybe try a smaller portion; like half recipe. On the video, the guy actually only rolled out half at a time. Even that half looked rather big. Maybe 1/3 portions?

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Gonna try this next time! I have leftovers too, so a smaller portion would suit us just fine.

I did halve the dough before rolling... each half probably took 45 mins to roll thin.

Glad to share this funny experience with you! Maybe Augustus can salvage this thread with his orecchioni pics.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Good thread. I make noodles once in a while, I use about twenty five percent semolina and seventy five percent organic wheat flour. It works well. It tastes better with good eggs, the commercial eggs seem to lack flavor in making pasta.

We have a pasta machine, a hand crank Italian one we got from a rummage sale of an Italian guy's family after he died. He was in his eighties and he made lots of his own stuff, his cudighi was one of the best I have ever had.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I tried the 75/25 mix with 100g (well I had to convert to cups) flour per egg.... and it was a crumbly mess. I ended up adding 2 more eggs just to get it to stick together....
anyone that could venture a guess as to how this happened, and whether these noodles are done for already?

Store bought eggs.

Eggs in Europe have a higher fat content in them so you can add extra yolks to get the same result here. Also, when making semolina-based dough I start with some water so the gluten can develop and then add eggs or oil if using.

ETA: just call me later and I'll give you some pointers.

edit on 8-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Will do

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:18 AM
link   

So when are you making the Capellini (Angel Hair) pasta??? ....by hand?

C'mon, hurry up now! The white clam sauce is just about ready! (actually it goes with Linguine, but I thought I'd up the stakes).

Seriously though, my hat is off to ya; I've never tried to make hand made pasta. I bought the pasta attachment for our stand mixer, but have yet to try it. Your way sounds great, but a lot of work!

I'm going to have to look into this. Is pasta three nights in a row a bad thing? LOL.

The Spaghetti Factory used to have this dish of Capellini with Mizithra cheese in a butter sauce. It was sooooooo good! I could eat that stuff until I passed out. It's a good thing there's not one of those places near me because I'd weigh 900 lbs!

See what you 'done did'???? Now I'm all motivated to start making some pasta.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Haha, pasta three nights in a row is never a bad thing! Mangia!!

Though if you talk to Augustus, (thanks for the great tips, Augustus) he would tell you putting the wrong sauce on the wrong noodles is a crime. I'm waay less exacting but will be sure to know my audience if I ever serve pasta to guests. Who wants to offend with a noodle, not I!

I'd love to hear from you if you try making some of your own!! I hope you do try (talk to our Mason first) just reserve a little extra time for the process. And lots of time to enjoy the results.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

As promised.

Orecchioni:

Fried eggplant, blanched broccoli rabe and chopped red onion ready to go into the pan with the nduja:

Finished (I took this between everyone having a second helping):

It was topped with some ricotta salata and fresh parsley. Went well the Salice Salentino I served.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Those look wonderful-- like sea shells almost, very cool!
Delicious looking sauce too. Thanks for the tips and encouraging/informing a second attempt!

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

That's what I'm here for.

That and eating children.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Success!
I remade some dough according to Augustus's suggestions (using AP flour instead of semolina and 00 and extra yolk) and it's great!
It took a fraction of the time and energy to roll out and the noodles look wonderful.
About to try some of the shapes now that I have some energy to.

Next I'll try the semolina with water, no egg, and see how I like that.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Success!
I remade some dough according to Augustus's suggestions (using AP flour instead of semolina and 00 and extra yolk) and it's great!
It took a fraction of the time and energy to roll out and the noodles look wonderful.
About to try some of the shapes now that I have some energy to.

Next I'll try the semolina with water, no egg, and see how I like that.

Thanks, this recipe information is invaluable.

So I went out shopping at stores and so far saw only one hand-crank pasta machine and it was tiny. Actually, when I was turning it around on the shelf an Italian lady came up to me and said "too small", I said "Yeah, I know". She then told me that she never uses her pasta maker any more because everyone is allergic. I missed the opportunity to inquire further after her pasta maker and perhaps buy it from her. Oh, well, live and learn.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Ah, maybe there will be a next time!

This time around I combined 3 cups AP flour with 4 eggs + 1 yolk. It really made for a great dough (though eating the noodles will be the ultimate test) and I'm glad I have some energy to put into a sauce!

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   

See, and everyone thought I was only good for two things; nothing and s***.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

If you find yourself lurking around town trying to spot the Italian woman:

Christine Mitzuk: Scheming

Act all nonchalant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join