It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

review......Alita, Battle Angel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I've never even read a cyberpunk manga comic book. But I've watched every Cameron and Rodriguez movie made.
Alita was exactly what I expected and wasn't disappointed. A CGI festival with a targeted audience demographic of teenagers and tweens.
I found the script trite and corny, the characters mostly simpletons but the story was interesting. Good direction!
However sometimes CGI that creates a fantastic world is enough to draw the movie goer in and hold them spellbound. This was that type of
film and I totally enjoyed it.

eta...this needs the big theater screen and sound.

edit on 17-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I was thinking about seeing this one instead of captain marvel.
It appears to kick butt without the social agenda attached.

Now I will for sure... Thanks for the review..

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

There were other factors to Battle Angel’s short-lived existence as an anime. In conversation with Polygon, Amanda Winn Lee, the OVA’s ADR Director and the English voice of Alita/Gally, says that the reason Battle Angel’s additional manga volumes weren’t adapted was due to the anime’s poor sales in Japan.

Battle Angel arrived at the tail end of the OVA market boom, when Japan’s economic recession rattled the business. Then Neon Genesis Evangelion happened, and changed the anime landscape forever. Evangelion showed you could do adult sci-fi in a television setting and the audiences would show up in droves. That made it less likely that producers were going to pursue more OVA adaptations.

Lee also recalls hearing that audiences just didn’t find Alita “cute enough” and “they wanted more fan service.” After the failure of Battle Angel, Animate, Movic, and KSS produced Plastic Little, which was considered a direct response to the thoughtful science fiction story. “Lots of girls, lots of boobs. [Plastic Little] is what they invented the jiggle counter for,” Lee says.

The voice actress also has her own regrets over the movie; Lee says she recorded her Gally lines with a 102-degree fever, and while recording the “battle foley” screams that accompany bigger action scenes, apparently passed out in the booth. “Sometimes I wish I could have gone back. I don’t know how different it would have been, but that movie will always have a very, very special place in my heart,” she says.”

www.polygon.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Not my sort of anime, I am not averse to a good anime though such as the violent and funny but gory Black Lagoon with it's female psychopathic protagonists Revy, Roberta and Shenhua.
Basically a very adult themed series of cartoon characters with some very adult (not dirty adult in theme and violence not in other way's - at least no more than ghost in the shell was) back story's.
Typically far fetched but great fun if you are in the mood for an anime.
I actually only saw a clip of this Alita movie and instantly thought - not for me - though the way they have computer morphed the kid's eye's to look really weird is how some futurists believe future humanity may actually come to look in thousands of years if we continue to live in artificial environment's, some also believe we will lose all our hair but I disagree and even if we do it would then spawn a whole head jewelry fashion of some kind.

So only Manga I would recommend is Black Lagoon.
Bare in mind it is probably cut so some content that would have appeared in the original japanese version may be missing but here is a you tube channel with lot's of the episodes.
www.youtube.com...
And trust me better than something like Battle Angel if set in a parody of the current reality.

Revy's a mercenary psychopath, Roberta is a Cuban trained guerrilla fighter gone crazy, working as a maid for a friend of her father and out on a revenge trip dressed as a maid with a spas shotgun, Shenhua is a Chinese assassin whom favors Nepalese style kukri knives over gun's, sometime's they are friend's, sometimes they are enemy's.

edit on 18-2-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Here's the trailer....

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think I’m the very new future movies like this and avatar and even the mcu movies are going to become a base formula in VR styled movie/ game hybrids even though I don’t believe that is the intent. When the digital blends like this with people younger with tech like vr some shiiiiiiite is going to happen. I predict the silver screen going the way of the dodo and instead will be large rooms with sweaty headsets plugged into the floor and 14 year olds with anti septic wipeies trying to clean your reserved headset for a cost. Mark my words commercial be will begin using periphery cameras so you can still stuff your face with the cheapest product candy or popcorn or the highest rate.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Sorry you are probably very close to the mark but I could not help but chuckle - a lot.
Quite disgusting but quite probable at least in places like Japan were they love technology, there birth rate is dropping through the floor even worse than it is over here in the west AND they have a whole generation of young people whom can only be turned on by virtual girl/boy friend's rather than the real thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Same

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
lol

SJW are upset, Alita is too sexy...

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I could write a thread about it, even the rating system will change it would say shiiiiiz like “this experience is rated R it will be hazardous to your mental and physical health for virtual violence, sex, extreme adult language, physical changes in the building, your seat, and temperate changes in sound. Group experiences may vary depending on your package. Go Fu** yourself and please turn off your cell phones and your fat girlfriends, enjoy”

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Love it, I only watched manga thank's to Ghost in the shell but stumbled onto Black lagoon by accident when someone recommended it to me but all those cutesy Anime characters really are not my cup of tea so to speak though I Believe the original Alita I heard was very gory indeed - so you have a psycho ninja robot girl fighting other psycho ninja's in typical Japanese animation style which would not be too bad but still not to my taste (Everyone is different) but they draw the thing to look like a kid of six or seven - except that she is a killer psycho robot ninja.

Ghost in the shell on the other hand, I prefer Blade runner but it remain's one of the finest movies of it's period even if it was animated and deserves to stand up there with live action movies.

Here is the point though, it is not what we may or may not think about this movie but how it goes down globally and I have no doubt it will gross well over it's production costs so will be a success especially for the Asian market.

To be fair though often animated movies have better plot line's and are more enjoyable than live action one's but also are live action movies that have so much CGI really live action after all or are the actor's just playing a bit part in them?.

Some gem's do exist, Captain Harlock space pirate is quite good as indeed are quite a few other's though they hearken more to the more realistic character style while Alita is more based in the bug eye's kid anime style characters.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I’m an artist myself, like many others here. I can smell the difference between something hand made frame by frame with love and edited meticulously by people that can draw the # and wrote the # very meaningfully as well. Animated films are unique in this regard, film has a different type of discipline. I just look at this film, avatar, gamer, and about three other fairly modern movies that have names that fleet my mind atm that just to me feel like in the very new future something new is going to happen between the two, animated/ video, become interactive like a video game which video games are animated and more modernize games are digitized actors that become manipulated characters.

I wish my brain wasn’t soup with incoherent ideas or else I’d express myself better.

join