It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've been in Zimbabwe for the last 3 weeks, what a cluster****

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Hi,
I'm really posting this for exposure purposes, just being honest.

This is my 3rd year coming here with a (very small) charity run by 1 man alone.

Over the last 25 years he has single handedly installed and maintained water purification systems across most of the hospitals of Zimbabwe. Its estimated (by the BBC, so pinch of salt needed) that he has saved over 3 million lives.

He's 78 now, still working and running a church (im not religious btw) and on top comes to Zimbabwe every year to change filters and maintain and install new machines. I help him now and hope to relieve him of the hard work he's been doing over the years.

As many will know Zimbabwe had collapsed many years ago, but this year was a whole new kettle of fish. To keep it short,..
No banks, no ATM's
No petrol, and what there is has tripled in price
No Internet (in case people want to make a stand and organise a movement)
Starving people EVERYWHERE as there is no economy.

The people here are so desparate and are genuine victims of politics.

So, I'm doing my bit and just wanted to raise a little more awareness for these people.

Hope you don't mind,
Regards
FA x

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: FinallyAwake

That’s very noble of you!
Putting your life on hold to try to make others lives better.
I commend you sir!

Stay safe down there.
As you no doubt know the lay of the land probably better than most that will comment,
But please be safe.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Good day and many thanks for a feet on the ground report from Zimbabwe. Do you believe an outside force like South Africa, Zambia etc might come to the aid of the people and invade to restore some type of normality?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

have you spoken to the locals to ascertain where all the friction emanates from?

how about your own thoughts on the matter?

your cause seems noble as does the gentleman's with whom you assist.

best wishes f.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

That’s very noble of you!
Putting your life on hold to try to make others lives better.
I commend you sir!

Stay safe down there.
As you no doubt know the lay of the land probably better than most that will comment,
But please be safe.

Thank you so much I appreciate it πŸ‘πŸ»

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Zimbabwe is a fairly large country. Where in Zimbabwe are you?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Good day and many thanks for a feet on the ground report from Zimbabwe. Do you believe an outside force like South Africa, Zambia etc might come to the aid of the people and invade to restore some type of normality?

Hi thanks for your comment πŸ‘πŸ»
I'm not too up to date with the surrounding countries and aid, but as far as I know no one is coming to help yet 😞

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Had to cancel my already paid for trip there about 15 years ago. We were heartbroken because we were staying at a wildlife refuge and were looking forward to petting and living with baby tigers. I know, not politically correct. We didn't care-it was our dream.

Even back then, the government was so corrupt they were starving their people. The surrounding countries are also very dangerous. The US put out a travel advisory and that was that.

Is it still that dangerous? Sounds like all economies have been destroyed.

Thank you for your selfless giving.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt

have you spoken to the locals to ascertain where all the friction emanates from?

how about your own thoughts on the matter?

your cause seems noble as does the gentleman's with whom you assist.

best wishes f.

Hello and thank you πŸ‘πŸ»

It seems to be the poorest areas that are making a stand, they are not happy with the new president as he won the vote and had been gallivanting around in a private jet to "appeal for aid"
He left them in the dark while he was away, tripled the prices of fuel, and staged an Internet blackout (to stop the truth coming out)
This is what I've learnt from the locals.
Now the police and army are rounding up and BEATING anyone who is protesting. Not only the protesters, but innocent bystanders too. 😞

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Zimbabwe is a fairly large country. Where in Zimbabwe are you?

I am based in Bulawayo (their 2nd largest city) and was unable to go to Harare as normal because there was no fuel, and it certainly wasn't safe. We got the most work done as possible considering the circumstances. πŸ‘πŸ»

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Had to cancel my already paid for trip there about 15 years ago. We were heartbroken because we were staying at a wildlife refuge and were looking forward to petting and living with baby tigers. I know, not politically correct. We didn't care-it was our dream.

Even back then, the government was so corrupt they were starving their people. The surrounding countries are also very dangerous. The US put out a travel advisory and that was that.

Is it still that dangerous? Sounds like all economies have been destroyed.

Thank you for your selfless giving.

Hi and thank you.
Sorry you didn't get to fulfill your dream, but you really dodged a bullet. This is the worst it has been for many years. It used to be paradise back in the 80's. Now it's heading more downwards than ever.😞

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It seems like the country has been a cluster fck for a long time. Good on you to help out with clean water!

Any chance there are still bundles of the 100 trillion notes around?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I salute your 78 year old friend for the work he does and you for the help you give , it's a tragedy the people of Zimbabwe still suffer following the deposing of Mugabe , so much has been stolen from what should be a rich country but I hope they still have hope for a brighter future.

Be safe.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I have been reading Cathy Buckle's blog from Zimbabwe for many years. All I care to say is that the country was better off under white rule as Rhodesia. Yes, there were problems, but "democrazy" only made things worse.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: KezigluBey
It seems like the country has been a cluster fck for a long time. Good on you to help out with clean water!

Any chance there are still bundles of the 100 trillion notes around?

Thank you 😊 and yes there are plenty of trillion pounds notes you can buy from roadside sellers. It's crazy to think that a loaf of bread use to cost 2 million Zim dollars 😲

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I salute your 78 year old friend for the work he does and you for the help you give , it's a tragedy the people of Zimbabwe still suffer following the deposing of Mugabe , so much has been stolen from what should be a rich country but I hope they still have hope for a brighter future.

Be safe.

Thank you Sir, and yes Mugabe destroyed the Country single handedly, 😞

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
I have been reading Cathy Buckle's blog from Zimbabwe for many years. All I care to say is that the country was better off under white rule as Rhodesia. Yes, there were problems, but "democrazy" only made things worse.

This is hard to argue with from what I've learnt! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Many thanks for that FinallyAwake. Also what we see here in the UK is almost uniquely how the spiralling economy is affecting the poorest in society over there. Can you give us some sort of idea how the wealthier suburbs of Bulawayo are fairing? Are the wealthier people also suffering from the economic downturn or are they still doing ok?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

As we are going to soon find out, when the SHTF.

Always better to go along with TPTB. What is it they say? Can't win if you bring a knife to a gun fight?

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I always wondered why Mugabe was left alone all those years while the UN went after lesser despots. I can’t help feeling he had the backing of a greater power and certainly not a benevolent one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join