It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteering For A Front Row Seat to Exploration, Would Anyone Actually Do It?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
NASA sent Voyager 1 & 2 off into space back in the 70's and Voyager 1 has now left the Milky Way, still able to communicate with earth 40 years later. We sent men to the moon (well, so they say
), and numerous other space missions under their belt. Is it time to look for volunteers who would agree to go on a ONE WAY space exploration trip and send back human transmissions until their demise (natural death or catastrophic)?

A strong willed person who has come to terms with life and isn't afraid to pass on, but will do so in an incredible way. Hell, not even just folks on that side of the spectrum, as there are lovers of science and space who may be willing to die seeing the depths of space that no other human ever has. So all that said, if NASA built a carrier that could sustain someone for 5, 10, 20 or more years (if possible, food, water, etc...), whats the likelihood they could get folks to go on this one way trip and see how deep into space a human could make it and witness it with their own eyes?

I think of the Voyager and what if someone could have been on it looking out the windows that entire trip sending back daily reports describing the views of the sun, planets, stars, colors, other things, especially as they reached the heliopause and all things in between. Sending them on the same course so they pass close by each planet...would anyone suit up and go on such a trip?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rcwilliams775

I would probably vote for AI to do it and send video back so I wouldn't die a horrible death in deep space and yet still be able to see it all from the comfort of my orchard on a nice spring day.

A qualifier...

Just not HAL.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

In a heartbeat.

Let me pack my bags, tell me where to show up and when.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

NASA sent Voyager 1 & 2 off into space back in the 70's and Voyager 1 has now left the Milky Way, still able to communicate with earth 40 years later.

The Milky Way is our galaxy. It is somewhere between 150,000 to 200,000 light years wide.

Our solar system is several thousand light years from the edge of it.

Even if Voyager 1 or 2 were traveling at the speed of light, it would taken them thousands of years to leave the Milky Way.

Voyager 1 is considered having left our solar system.

A very distinct difference.
edit on 1/10/2019 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

No...definitely not HAL. Or the M5, either.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

If we go faster, (Warp 1 in Systems / Warp 20 between systems) I would volunteer. At our current snails-pace of travel, it would be like a 50 year ocean cruise, with only 9 stops. yawn...

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
As long as it was one way.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Do We get to bring enough staples? Soundtracks? I weigh 217 My iPod™ is pretty light and 3 lbs. of smo.... Wait, is this flight "Smoking" or "Non Smoking"???

Also I'd like to type a "Happy 75th Naming Day" to Jim Croce.. If Mr Croce is reading anything it just 'may' be ATS™

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Doesn't really matter if you would volunteer at this point.
The human body can't survive in a weightless environment for the time it would take to exit the solar system. Not to mention the inability to carry enough resources to sustain someone.

We are not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The human body can't survive in a weightless environment for the time it would take to exit the solar system. Not to mention the inability to carry enough resources to sustain someone.

So that begs the question, how far could NASA send someone on a one way trip? With our technology and resources?

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

~sigh~

You need to change your username to "Captain Buzzkill."

Damn facts... ~shuffling away, kicking a can~.

link   
I would.

Earthlings suck.

Give me 5 minutes to pack a bag,and my lunch.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

In a heartbeat.

Seems you missed the big thread about space poop.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
As long as it was one way.

Yes, no return trip.....the goal is to get HUMAN eyes as far out into space as possible so a HUMAN can report back to earth what they see as they pass planets and whatever else they choose to see from that perspective.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

In a heartbeat.

Seems you missed the big thread about space poop.

Can be used as Fuel to go even deeper into Space... Yeah! Rule #427 No TacoBell™

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I would probably vote for AI to do it and send video back so I wouldn't die a horrible death in deep space and yet still be able to see it all from the comfort of my orchard on a nice spring day.

A qualifier...

Just not HAL.

lol..yes no HAL, human eyes and emotions only

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

In a heartbeat.

Ditto

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   
No Taco Bell, No way......

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Got it...thank you...I just knew it is really far away!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm not going anywhere where there is no flushable toilet and gravity so it isn't floating all over the place in the ship.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join