It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My wife is having Gallbladder surgery tomorrow. I'm scared.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
So my wife has had 3 gallbladder attacks since October. An ultrasound showed "multiple" stones, which was interpreted by the surgeon to "like 20". When she has an attack, it is extremely bad.

I know she needs the surgery. No choice at this point. No, I am not big into the homeopathic thing, and it is far beyond that now anyway. Maybe if it was a mild case she might try something else, but it is too far gone at this point.

I have done all the research, and the chances of death for her is 0.0 - 0.1%, and serious complications are like 0.3%. So the chances are very good, she will come through just fine.

Still, it is a scary thing. I can't help but worry. I can't loose her, I don't know what I would do without her.

Anyone here have their gallbladder out, or know someone? How did it turn out?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Surgery is always a little scary, eh? I won't try to talk you down, but I can reassure you a little.

My sister had her gallbladder removed several years ago and everything went fine. It's relatively common and simple procedure, and my sister was back on her feet pretty quick -- like in a day or two. I'm sure your wife will come through fine as well, and she's blessed to have you to help her recuperate.

Prayers up for you and your wife

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

My friend just had hers out right before Christmas and was back to normal in less than a week.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Your wife is having a Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy.

my.clevelandclinic.org...

It is fairly non-intrusive, and a quick surgery. I've sat through countless procedures only because I'm on a team developing a new type of trocar for such surgeries.

She should be fine but I will keep her in my thoughts today.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
My dad had it removed little less then 10 years ago , i remember him coming home with this jar with the stones in it, it smelled awfull.

Didnt seem to have any bad effects afterwards , he still goes to the gym multiple times per week and is healthy the age of 63.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Thank you! It is great to hear good outcomes!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Great to hear!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I've known folks to have gallbladder surgery with no issues. She should make a speedy recovery!
Surgery is always scary none the less.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Have you seen any serious problems during the surgeries you have witnessed? I am as scared of the general Anastasia as the surgery itself.

I have never had surgery myself, and I am 44. But the thought of being put under with a Dr. making sure to keep you alive, just creeps me out.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

My dad had his out in the 70's, but I was young and don't remember too much. He had his in a jar at home. I assume they are still there.

I lost my dad in August to a brain anurism. I could not stand another loss at this point. I would probably end up in the funny farm.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

Have you seen any serious problems during the surgeries you have witnessed? I am as scared of the general Anastasia as the surgery itself.

No, I haven't seen anything bad happen. The anesthesia is quick, simple, and no ill effects. Again, it is a quick surgery so she won't be under for long, and that's a definite plus. It is a fairly straightforward procedure.

I have never had surgery myself, and I am 44. But the thought of being put under with a Dr. making sure to keep you alive, just creeps me out.

Most docs, anesthesiologists will sit with you and your wife beforehand. Don't EVER be afraid to ask questions or voice your concerns. They are doctors, not gods. Part of their job is to put you and your wife at ease.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Had it removed last spring, went fast and smooth.

It is the right decision to remove the gall bladder - if you try to eat less fats to stop your gallbladder from overflowing / releasing the gall stones, I can assure you that this is a downwards spiral:

if your body is after some time accustomed to small amounts of fat in your meals, even a slightly larger amount of fat will trigger a gall stone to be moved.

No fat - even the slightest trace of fat will start your gall stones to move.

Just remove that bastard, in modern times this is about as neccessary like the appendix!
Laparoscopic procedure, next morning I already ate a nice simple breakfast and the day after that I was released.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
...I'm on a team developing a new type of trocar for such surgeries.

I'd ask if you test these on the Gunthers without anesthesia but I saw the videos and already know the answer.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy
...I'm on a team developing a new type of trocar for such surgeries.

I'd ask if you test these on the Gunthers without anesthesia but I saw the videos and already know the answer.

The prototype was going to be used on pig carcasses, but that would have been a waste of bacon.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

That is good to hear! We have talked with the surgeon. I hope we have a chance to talk with the anesthesiologist.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Great to hear you had a good outcome!

They are saying that if all goes well, she will be released by mid afternoon. Only about 4-6 hours in the hospital total. I hope that is the case.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

The anesthesiologist will meet with you and your wife the morning of the surgery. It's usually standard procedure. Take that opportunity to ask as many questions as you have.

They aren't scary people and will do the utmost to relax any concerns.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
My wife had hers removed 20 some years back, went smooth with no issues. She said for a while she couldnt eat certain foods, dont remember what exactly, but it was pretty temporary.

Your wife will do fine, best wishes to you both.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I had it done on an emergency basis last year.
I was scared to death.

Having it done by choice is absolutely preferable! I've had a few other surgeries and this is seriously very low on the end as far as pain and recovery. Here I am one year later and you can't even see a scar. Seriously, the scars are so tiny!
The absolutely worst part of the surgery for me was that they would not let me drink water for a week. That almost drove me crazy.

It took me longer than normal for recovery but I was a unique situation. If your wife is a normal situation, she should be fine much much quicker.
I have since been able to eat and do just about everything I could before the surgery, with one exception. Costco pizza. It made me violently ill after. I found out there is a cup of oil in their pizzas! You have to be careful with excess oil or fat. I don't like either, but I do enjoy pizza so that was an eye opener!

Before my surgery I requested to talk to everyone that would be working on me (I guess some people don't do that?) It gave me a great sense of ease. A couple of my nurses said that the doctor working on me even took their gallbladders out. If they felt confident enough in their boss, that just made me feel a lot better.

I also grilled the doctor on why I had these gallstones. He said mine were 100% hereditary, it did not matter what I ate or drank I would have had to have the surgery one way or another. After talking to my parents it appears it was a very common thing in my family, we have very tiny gallbladders and any stones fill they up quick.

BTW. I belong to a natural cures type of group on social media. There was a huge discussion about gallbladder removal and if it is necessary or not. You guys might be having these thoughts right now. There were several very eye opening accounts of people that had relatives that choose not to do it. Some developed gallbladder cancer, some died from a clogged stone. There are a lot of thoughts on it not being necessary or required. I know tons of people that have had the surgery, I have not heard from one that had ill consequences during surgery or after.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

So many thanks! Glad to hear that you are doing well. Costco Pizza... Not sure I would eat that anyway. LOL

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join