It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar vortex on the horizon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Carcharadon

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Carcharadon
Polar Vortex known by people that aren't stupid Americans as a winter storm.

It's always interesting to me how when people really don't know anything about a topic they typically result in sounding just like your line above does.

The Polar Vortex isn't a Winter Storm.
Hell it isn't even just a Winter thing.
Isn't an American thing.
Isn't limited to Earth as it's been observed on at least one other planet.
Isn't new as it was first theorized in the late 1800's and confirmed in the 1950's.

Facts..Who needs them.

Definitely not American weather forecasters who have been calling every big storm that blows through a Polar Vortex for a few years now.

Careful you guys don't get swamped by a Winter Tsunami (Snow) this year.

Except for the fact that meteorologists actually apply science to using the term Polar Vortex you would be right..
Show me one time when something was called as being part of the PV and it was just a snow storm.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Global warming does not mean nowhere will ever be cold.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Polar vortex?
smh
Just another New England Winter around here

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Local forecast for the next ten days looks normal for me.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong I have no stance on global warming. There are so many arguments and data to digest that is very hard to decide; every time I seem to lean on one side or the other a new study pops up proving the opposite. So I just keep reading and listening to wiser minds and hoping some day the truth will become obvious.

But after years of reading these forums and trying to understand if it's a global warming or a mini ice age I finally got my answer: the global warming is making the earth colder.
Now I'm so confused my eyes got crossed.
Maybe I'm too simple minded for this riddle or maybe this climate change issue is one of those strange mysteries you keep wondering about for the rest of your life but never get a straight answer to it.

Either way, back to my corner until my brain will disentangle from this one

edit on 18-12-2018 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

the global warming is making the earth colder.
No. The Earth is not getting colder, it is getting warmer. This does not mean that nowhere will ever be cold.

Globally this has so far been the 4th warmest year on record. Right behind 2017, 2016, and 2015.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...
edit on 12/18/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't know...

We have such a tiny data set of direct measurements and observations to predict weather on, it's amazing any scientist would stake a claim one way or another. Sure we have ice cores and whatnot but that is inference, not a direct measurement. Granted, I hope they are educated guesses but guesses none the less.

I read one place discerning temperatures from ice cores is accurate.
www.antarcticglaciers.org...

I read in another discerning temperatures from ice cores is pretty shaky.
www.astrobio.net...

And then I read the thinly veiled commercials for more funding. Begging from university professors, imagine that?
www.igsoc.org...

My vote is the weather will still surprise us moving into the future. We will get a lot of the short term stuff right. We would be right to claim the climate changes over time and that it is an uber-complex system. I would be leery of anyone who claims they got it all nailed down and the debate is settled.

With the noted exception of Frankie. If Frankie calls it, I'm in.
www.youtube.com...
edit on PM0652PMRCST2018 by ABNARTY because: edit

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY
Your "shaky" source:

“They are supposed to be iconic for the Northern Hemisphere, but we have four other records that do not agree with the Greenland ice cores for that time. That abrupt cooling is there, just not to the same degree.”

This is known. That's why ice cores from single locations are not the only proxies which are used for estimates of temperatures before record keeping.

edit on 12/18/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What are you adding? It's established using the cores is inference, not direct measurement. I was merely pointing that out via a source besides myself because the OP postulated:

Now that we know global warming is making things colder, what are we to do? If global warming continues, will we get another ice age?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

What are you adding?

That historical temperature proxies are more than guesses and ice cores are not used in isolation.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ah....illuminating. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
No such thing is reflected in the NOAA long range forecasts

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I came from Alabama,
Wid my banjo on my knee,
I'm gwyne to Louisiana,
My true love for to see;
It rain'd all night the day I left,
The weather it was dry,
The sun so hot I froze to death,
Susanna, don't you cry.

-- 19th century global warming song

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

Now that we know global warming is making things colder, what are we to do? If global warming continues, will we get another ice age?

First, that's political double-speak...and make no mistake, global warming, at least as far as man's cause or man's ability to slow/stop it, is a political issue and nothing more.

We need to cool down the earth to stop the vortex so the earth gets warmer, right?

Seems that if that's the case, the earth is already ahead of us on that...almost seems like we are watching natural cycles play out, and that the earth has a climate system that is almost self-regulating, doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: WhiteHat

the global warming is making the earth colder.
No. The Earth is not getting colder, it is getting warmer. This does not mean that nowhere will ever be cold.

Globally this has so far been the 4th warmest year on record. Right behind 2017, 2016, and 2015.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

Oh! On record!! All 200 years of it!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

So, because the historical record shows that the planet is warming it means it's getting colder?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join