It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.7 million American abductees - US estimates, UK counter-estimates, and the Television Factor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

I've had sleep paralysis more times then I can remember I'm always scared of something and try and scream but cant I hate that feeling, haven't seen any aliens though .
edit on 12/10/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConfusedBrit
Talking of TV, one is reminded of the claim that Betty and Barney Hill's later description of their alleged abductors was influenced by an 'Outer Limits' episode, 'The Bellero Shield' (1964). Somewhat poetically, Travis Walton was in turn alleged to have gained ideas from the timely first transmission of B&B's own TV movie about their case, 'The Interrupted Journey' (1975).

Wouldn't somebody have to prove that the Hills and Walton actually saw these TV shows before their abductions to draw a causal connection?

Do you think there is any worth to the kind of experiments that Blackmore undertook, or do they perhaps patronise people who claim genuine, often very traumatic experiences?

What we're talking about is labeling the experience, not determining whether or not it actually happened. Sloppy pop psyche UFO study. There have been many.
edit on 10-12-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Wouldn't somebody have to prove that the Hills and Walton actually saw these TV shows before their abductions to draw a causal connection?

As I pointed out earlier, rather than TV shows providing an incentive to lie about an overall incident, what if cultural images - or archetypes - are used by the mind as an easier visual representation or 'cover' when faced with something incredibly traumatic and beyond our imagination? Especially during regressions. Incredibly difficult to prove, of course, but a fascinating hypothesis.

On the other hand, when folks such as Bob Lazar openly remember (rather than under hypnosis) a very typical TV/Film saucer archetype as part of of their employment, and not connected to an unwanted traumatic encounter, it sets alarm bells of suspicion ringing even louder.

What we're talking about is labeling the experience, not determining whether or not it actually happened. Sloppy pop psyche UFO study. There have been many.

It's about questioning the 3.7m estimate rather than labeling per se. I agree it's flawed, but at least a valient attempt is made to degrade an unlikely figure. Blackmore even acknowledges that abductions may be a reality for some, but her aim is to demonstrate that Hopkins and Co's wild extrapolation of particular set of 'indicator' experiences was flawed itself from the outset.

As for Walton and Co accepting the award from the National Enquirer at the end of 1975, like the accusation that Betty and Barney knew about a certain TV show, how do we know if Walton was aware of the annual NE award?

If Walton were on his own and free from potential co-witness pressure, would he have accepted the cash and beamed for the camera? Or shunned it for the sake of believabilty?

Did Bob Lazar know of Billy Meier when he allegedly worked on such classically styled spaceships in 1989?

We may never know these answers, but we can guess forever.

<< 1   >>

join