It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador: Enough UK guarantees for Assange to leave embassy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Does he write actual articles or just pass on leaked info? Do any other recognised journalists work for Wikileaks? Are Wikileaks/Assange recognised by any trade/union bodies?

In the past long before WL turned on the US. WL won awards for journalism.

Wikileaks and Julian Assange have won numerous awards from many institutions, ranging from small foundations and NGOs to major media outlets and international organizations.[67] In 2013, Wikileaks and Assange were honored by Global Exchange, a nonprofit based in San Francisco, with the People’s Choice Award. A statement on their website claims “Wikileaks is a valuable tool for human rights activists the world over.

Wikileaks helps whistle blowers bring forth information that is vital to public debate. They have helped push stories hidden by secretive governments or ignored by corporate oriented media to the fore.”[68] In 2011,

Wikileaks received the award for “Most Outstanding Contribution to Journalism” from the Walkley Foundation of Australia. “The Walkleys” are considered the Australian equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize. The award panel declared that “by designing and constructing a means to encourage whistleblowers, WikiLeaks and its editor-in-chief Julian Assange took a brave, determined and independent stand for freedom of speech and transparency that has empowered people all over the world.”[69] In 2008, Wikileaks was given the New Media Award by The Economist, which described Wikileaks as “an invaluable resource for anonymous whistleblowers and investigative journalists.”[70]

www.sourcewatch.org...

and yes they do write ups too. But ones based on objectionable fact. A first for a media outlet.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

A journalist is a person who collects, writes, or distributes news or other current information to the public. A journalist's work is called journalism. A journalist can work with general issues or specialize in certain issues. However, most journalists tend to specialize, and by cooperating with other journalists, produce journals that span many topics.

en.wikipedia.org...

Well look at that. Seems like he really is a journalist, even tho you don't want him to be.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'd say a turn for the better , for the sake of Julian's health this stalemate has got to end soon , he was offered refuge by Ecuador now he should repay that kindness and leave.

Do you not think political prisoners of speech should have the right to safe passage.
edit on 6-12-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Do you not think political prisoners of speech should have the right to safe passage.

Yes , but Julian Assange knew what he was getting into so he should be prepared to face the music for exposing the truth of a grubby war and our governments disdain for their people's privacy.

Personally I'd make him an MBE for services rendered but that's just me.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Depending on the tune of the song, facing the music may only serve to make him a martyr to his cause.

Possibly not by dying, but if he ends up in some federal penitentiary, or worse, there won't be much pretended or exaggeration to his suffering.

Personally, i think the guy is a hero of sorts also, although his personal hygiene does somewhat leave something to be desired.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

He ain't a political prisoner. He's in the embassy of his on free will and can leave any time he wants.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Will they not gaol him when he does leave the embassy, free will or otherwise?

I'm lead to believe its the reason for his stay in the embassy after all.

I mean some spurious bastards want a word in his shell like, else that's some holiday.
edit on 6-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

He ain't a political prisoner. He's in the embassy of his on free will and can leave any time he wants.

Understand the meaning of a political prisoner and them come back and comment.

How Julian Assange Became the Political Prisoner of Our Time

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
Understand the meaning of a political prisoner and them come back and comment.

I know what a political prisoner is. Assange is not one. For a start he's not imprisoned. Calling him one just lessens the term and does not help real political prisoners, or prisoners of conscience, who are incarcerated without trial, or with sham trials, because of their beliefs and actions.

Assange is in the embassy by his own volition, and can leave. He can receive guests, cook his own food, has email, access to the internet and (so long as he does not annoy his hosts) do what he likes.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I wonder if they were finally able to decrypt his insurance file he put out.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: andy06shake

I wonder if they were finally able to decrypt his insurance file he put out.
I can guarantee they know exactly what was in that file. In fact i was thinking that may be one of the reasons they are keeping his charges sealed.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Think a patsy will get him?

I'm going with exotic poison.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I wonder what part our state department had in this if any.
I wonder if the DOJ may have requested the intervention.
There is no indictment for Julian Assange just yet is there?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

A journalist? Give me a break. Who has he written for and what did he write? Or what reporting has he done?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Are those the parameters that you have to fall under to be considered a journalist

If you are a professional journalist then yes. You dont just get to call yourself a journalist because you publish something.
You have to go to school get a degree etc... then get hired to write or report.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Why because what he did was post facts and not rhetoric and politically charged opinion like most 'journalists'?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
They really want him to testify. My bet is all charges dropped if he talks.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Are those the parameters that you have to fall under to be considered a journalist

If you are a professional journalist then yes. You dont just get to call yourself a journalist because you publish something.
You have to go to school get a degree etc... then get hired to write or report.

Seriously? Looking up journalism, journalist, and especially investigative journalist/ism...none of the standard and approved definitions say anything about publishment, corporate/governnment hiring, nor some trade union.

Easy to see why you lean towards an authoriative fascist liberal agenda...the real world definition allows the creative and innovative freedom for one individual to expand outside a cookie cutter utopia some demand!
edit on 12 6 2018 by CynConcepts because: Seriously hate speed corrector changing my typed words...makes more sense when left with a simple wrong keypunch error! Sheesh.

Edit add: Oops...I forgot ...no definitions that say a journalist needs to have a bogus degree either!
edit on 12 6 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

where he would face the death penalty.

there it is..

he isn't facing the death penalty.. just years of solitary confinement and water boarding

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Disseminating the truth for one thing, or at least a version of such.

I mean they are going to Bradley Manning the guy at the very least.

Whoa!
Do you really think they'll change his gender...
And then give him a full pardon?

ganjoa

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join