It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving my job of 5 years to do Youtube full time...And I'm scared.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
I'm an IT guy and have been working at a small shop for over 5 years now. My boss is also my "friend", although things have become strained between us over the years. The thing is, he pays me good. Probably better than I'll be able to get anywhere else. However, I have also been running a successful Youtube channel on the side. It's gotten so big that it makes sense that I focus on it full time. Especially with the election coming up (it's a political channel).

After speaking with my father Monday, I took the plunge and gave my boss a resignation letter.

The thing is, now I'm scared. Youtube is doing good, but it goes up and it goes DOWN. Not to mention the constant threat of my channel being taken down by YT because of my political leanings. Part of me is wondering what I'm thinking. It's crazy....But at the same time there is a huge opportunity to excel.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant with my 2nd kid? Oi vey.......Am I a complete idiot?

The smart play would be to keep doing it on the side. Risks like that are all well and good when you don't have a family relying on you, but when you head your own household it is worth sacrificing your own desires.

If you really think the YouTube channel will pan out, then great! But get yourself a solid backup. Make sure your friend will hire you back if need be, or make yourself stand out. IT is a solid trade, but IT guys come a dime a dozen anymore.

Political channels are so fragile that it's unwise to stake your family's well-being on it. If you are just set on that route, then make an IT channel too. Put out videos for the difficult things that not every IT guy knows. That way if something doesn't work out, then you'll have built a solid tutorial portfolio and might land a really good job with it.

Just my opinion for all it is worth.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

always better to make your own path in life !

just remember to save for the rainy days !

also take risks, and dont be afraid of failure !

If you have love in your life then nothing can stop you from achieving your goals

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I'm an IT guy and have been working at a small shop for over 5 years now. My boss is also my "friend", although things have become strained between us over the years. The thing is, he pays me good. Probably better than I'll be able to get anywhere else. However, I have also been running a successful Youtube channel on the side. It's gotten so big that it makes sense that I focus on it full time. Especially with the election coming up (it's a political channel).

After speaking with my father Monday, I took the plunge and gave my boss a resignation letter.

The thing is, now I'm scared. Youtube is doing good, but it goes up and it goes DOWN. Not to mention the constant threat of my channel being taken down by YT because of my political leanings. Part of me is wondering what I'm thinking. It's crazy....But at the same time there is a huge opportunity to excel.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant with my 2nd kid? Oi vey.......Am I a complete idiot?

Chase your dreams man.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Go for it mate. There is nothing like running your own thing. Nothing.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Balls of steel. I commend you... I wish you all the luck because you'll be needing it.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

You don't EVER quit a real paying stable job for a social fad. This will cost you.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician

You don't EVER quit a real paying stable job for a social fad. This will cost you.

You call it a fad, but I've been doing this for years as a side hustle, making really good money. In order to get to the next level, it's going to require my full attention. My other job was suffering from me not being 100% dedicated as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
You made a good choice I reckon, I've thrown about a dozen people your way and they're all impressed. Well done mate, keep up the excellent work.

edit on 11/12/2018 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

What the annual income for YouTube?

Does your wife work?

Sounds like YouTube should be your side hustle

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join