It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terry Reid Seed of Memory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
For the lyrics, composition, and unique sound, this song is peerless.

Brave Dreams
That Are Kindled From Ashes
Rise Out
Over All The Battle Below
Spread Wings
Over All That He Passes
So His Life Can Stay Immortal To His Country
All The Shades Of Green
That Fall Beneath This Tree
So Let The Winds Of Change
That Rearrange The Country
Let It Also Sow A Seed Of Memory

Marlena In The Cool Satin Sashes
Spread Dreams
Over The Battle Below
Bring Love
With A Song As She Passes
So His Life Can Stay Immortal To The Country
And Let Every Man Aware Of Being Free Mmm,
When She Talks Of Times
When Wine Is Handed To Me
From A Face That Walked Out Of A Memory

And Now That The Battle Is Done
And You Wake Up In The Morning
With The Sun Up In The Sky
Summer Never Gives You No Warning
Then Flowers Are Getting Thrown Up
To Cover The Mud Up On The Line
Valleys Getting Greener
And There's Nothing But Love On Your Mind

Brave Dreams
That Are Kindled From Ashes
Rise Out
Over The Battle Below
Spread Wings
Over All That He Passes
So His Life Can Stay Immortal To The Country
Other Shades Of The Green
That Brought For Me A Victory
But The Winds Of Change Have Rearranged This Country
Let It Also Sow A Seed Of Memory
Let It Always Sow A Seed Of Memory
Let It Always Sow A Seed Of Memory For A Long Time

If you've visited any battlefields you may understand the particular eeriness of seeing a stretch of land on a sunny day which by all accounts seems beautiful and peaceful, and so green, and yet knowing of the horror that once took place in that very spot.

Many brave and good souls have been cut short or forever altered by war. And as the lines of the battlefield gets blurry, anyone, even a child, becomes fair game. We mark it up as a necessary, but unfortunate, cost of our belligerence.

And maybe the saddest thing about man is how short his memory is, and how little he learns from each terrible lesson doomed to be repeated each generation ad infinitum.

May those who have already fallen be remembered, and particularly so that less fall in the future.

edit on 1-12-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

It's not about anything worthy.

Money, arms, war, profit

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

How did I never see this thread before? Probably because it only has one reply. :/

I remember the first time I heard this song was in the movie The Devil's Rejects. I was mesmerized.

After finally downloading the soundtrack, this song is one, along with To be Treated, that I can listen to on repeat...over and over and over, when I am in certain moods.

I also ended up buying this album on vinyl. Amazing. Mesmerizing.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Devil's Rejects was my first listen, too! Rob Zombie's soundtracks are excellent. And this song stood out from the rest and had a remarkable effect on me. I'm sure it sounds so good on vinyl.

Glad you brought the thread back from the dead!

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Hell, everything pretty much sounds amazing on vinyl, if mastered properly, lol.

But yes, this song just makes you *want* to sit through the end credits of that movie every single time. After that climax with Freebird it's a perfect juxtaposition with that tracking shot, like a bird flying. Wow.

Rob has awesome tastes, too, although I prefer the short-lived White Zombie over most of his solo stuff.
edit on 5-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

How do your feel about that break at 2:30 where the whole tempo changes? It's my least favorite part of the song, but so interesting that it fits the theme and lyrics so well. Here he's singing about how life just keeps going on, flowers spring up where bodies lay, how the last thing on so many people's minds is the horror of the battlefield

And You Wake Up In The Morning
With The Sun Up In The Sky
Summer Never Gives You No Warning
Then Flowers Are Getting Thrown Up
To Cover The Mud Up On The Line
Valleys Getting Greener
And There's Nothing But Love On Your Mind

I still like it best when the tempo changes back because there is something so good about that riff to me. It just struck me that there's not too many songs which hit me that way. I'll post one here, though it's otherwise completely unrelated(An ATS member introduced it to me).

Cheers, hope you're having a good day!
edit on 5-1-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I agree, it's also my least favorite, and intentionally disruptive, but it has grown on me after initially being so jarring. Seems to be a key change to a more major key than a minor key. It does fit well with the lyrical theme of the song, and breaks up the hauntingly beautiful monotony, but the transition back to main riff is almost perfect. I'm a fan of repetition and monotony in songs, which kinda goes to the core of theory of the blues, and reflects a lot of my own musical and lyrical style.

That song you posted is pretty awesome, I can definitely see the similarities.

There are several songs I would group with Seed of Memory, just for the way they make me feel.

Here are two, which to me are equally haunting acoustics. You may know them.

Best version ever:

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Man, that is some real great music you posted. I'd heard neither (although big STP fan).
Really sets that haunting atmosphere. Skip James reminds me a lot of Blind Willie Johnson (what a name!). Good stuff.
Thanks for the good conversation and music!!

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Thanks. I like haunting, tranquilizing music.

I know your OP is specifically about Seed of Memory, but what are your thoughts on To Be Treated, which I mentioned previously?

edit on 5-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I remember it being a stand out track when I heard it, and I was taking the bus at the time and had the two on a playlist which filled lots of good hours.

I haven't listened since, so am very glad you brought it up. It's such a dreamy sound and intense song and think it should make it back into my music circulation. Now that I'm giving it a second listen, it rivals Seeds of Memory in excellence and I'd have a hard time saying which I like more (I'd probably have to read the lyrics of To Be Treated to decide).

ETA: Not that I have to pick a favorite lol. Maybe I'll just enjoy some really good music without the need to qualify it.

edit on 5-1-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I distrust anyone who has a single favorite...anything, lol.

Everything has and fills a special part of us in multiple ways.

But yeah, Seed and Treated are comparable, and singularly different than anything else in that album.

BTW, sent you a pm.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   

So true about favorites, lol. It's such a rich and varied, lovely world. I'm so thankful for that.

Sent you a pm back

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Ok, thought of another one, lol.

Again, from a movie ending (Thief, 1981).

No lyrics, and the song is pretty much one long guitar solo.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Excellent, thank you! I've never seen the film but have heard of the soundtrack from friends who know their music

This one just came to me another accoustic riff I can listen to again and again (and haunting vocals, lyrics, and story behind the song).

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Wow! That was freaking amazing. Lo encanto.

Reminiscent of that link I sent to you, thank you for sharing.

Here's my favorite version of this song, a beautiful, sad, haunting acoustic. He talks for the first 1:30:

ETA:
Annnnd...

edit on 7-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join