It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opportunities ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
So it has come to my attention that there is an internal position at work that I could apply for. Company prefers to promote from within, and I have 10 years' experience under my belt. I've also spent a few of those years working as the last eyes on material published for a well-known national chain store that's fairly well recognized. Chances are high a number of you have seen work I've been responsible for and just not known it.

But in all those years I've been part-time. That's not necessarily been a bad thing. I'm a mom. It's freed me up to be a mom. I'm still free to be a mom.

However, this new spot is a full-time gig. That would bring with it certain perks like my own retirement account to add to the ones we already have going, PTO, the internal perks like chances for baseball tickets and the little things like that. There is also the reality of a larger paycheck. A little extra money is never a bad thing even though we're not necessarily dying for lack of funds, so it's not critical I make more, just would be nice.

However, with full-time I would also lose certain niceties I currently enjoy. I would have to be in at 8:30 every morning. Son's bus leaves about 8:50, so he wouldn't be able to ride the bus. We'd have to make arrangements for him to have early care at the school. He'd miss riding the bus because all the neighborhood kids do and they all have a ball playing while they wait. Teikiatsu can currently telecommute two days of the week without too much trouble, so we'd only have to arrange for him for three days, but even so, Teikiatsu then loses the flexibility with his WFH that he currently enjoys.

I would also lose the flexibility in my schedule. Right now, I work four hour shifts more or less every day, but because of hour total restrictions, I can more or less take about three days or so off per month. Generally, that's my call, and it frees me up to do things like be there when my parents have medical needs ... like my dad getting his hip replaced in December. I know I can take those days without taking a dent in my expected pay. It also gives me some wiggle room to miss a day like I did Monday when weather made a hash of the morning commute. I can just rotate in a day late in the month as needed.

Full-time means I lose that. I'd be on a PTO clock.

And, as a commuter family, I would end up driving two rush hours every day through the city. The evening one would hurt me the worst. Son's martial arts practices are at 6 to 6:15. I wouldn't leave until 5:30 and I wouldn't be able to make it back on a good number of nights in time to see him practice. I'd also miss his belt tests. Now, there is a good chance he'll be moving into the intermediate class soonish which solves that end of the problem, but on the flip side, I'm mom-coach. I've been working with him in the mornings to help him keep up with what he needs to know and be able to do, and I at least do the calisthenics work with him. I would also have a hard time fulfilling that promise I made to him.

So, in short, I'm conflicted. It would help us, but I'm not sure if it would be worth what I'd be losing at this time.

Thoughts?
edit on 17-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Do you want the position?

Do you need the money?

We KNOW you need the family time.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

No question I could do the position. It's just proofreading, and that's the bulk of what I do with some editing and 'net research thrown in and just a dab of writing. I've been at it in the company for 10 years. In fact, I'm supposed to get my 10 year service award at the Holiday Party I won't be at in a couple weeks.

If it would work out with our schedule, I'd take it. Proofing is boring, but I'm a good grammar Nazi. You guys get spared my worst impulses here.

The problem is that I'm not sure how disruptive it would be to take it and if that disruption would be worth it.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
"So, in short, I'm conflicted. It would help us, but I'm not sure if it would be worth what I'd be losing at this time."

Sounds like you answered yourself in your closing.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: JinMI

No question I could do the position. It's just proofreading, and that's the bulk of what I do with some editing and 'net research thrown in and just a dab of writing.

Is it possible to do some of that at home? therefor delaying your start

and finishing times.

If it would work out with our schedule, I'd take it. Proofing is boring, but I'm a good grammar Nazi. You guys get spared my worst impulses here.

Could you take it on a trial basis to see if it would work for you?

The problem is that I'm not sure how disruptive it would be to take it and if that disruption would be worth it.

Disruption needn't be such a bad thing ..... and your son? will learn

independence, being helpful and thinking out of the box!!

Hope it works out for you.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I wish ... technically, everything I do should theoretically be possible from home, but the company is paranoid and a rules stickler type place.

You'll get WFH from them right about the time the sun goes red giant and swallows the earth.

We aren't even allowed unrestricted internet access which makes the internet research aspects of my job all kinds of fun. Researching entertainment events in cities is tough when that's the kind of thing the firewall tries to block. But we aren't supposed to have fun see, and if we worked from home, we might do stuff like that.

Wouldn't do to pay us for doing something other than work!

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I was going to ask the same question... can she telecommute?

Because that would be a win-win, in my book.

Other than that, the only thing I can look back on now that the kids have been out of the house for awhile is that it would have really been nice to spend more time with them when I was there.

So just boils down to priorities...

My 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Don't do it. If you're ok with money now, getting more is going to cost you your quality of life. I've seen people do this, take a "better" position, and it ruined them. It's not worth it.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It's not always about the money.
I'm assuming your child is still young...more 'Mom Time' is irreplaceable when they're young.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
You only get one shot at these years with your kid.

That'd be the sole factor for me, if I was doing ok financially, etc. Well, even then, I'd probably look for other avenues to earn that extra money.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I'm not sure that myself, or much of anyone else, could help with that honestly.

As always, I do wish you the best of luck. Can't be an easy decision.
edit on 17-11-2018 by JinMI because: Can't type as fast as I think!

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Nope. You're always sane and balanced. Don't monkey with that lol. It's obvious your family are all mutually blessed by your current arrangement. I don't usually go that strong, but I think you and the T-Man have a good thing the way it is.
Prayer sent.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I can't tell you what your family needs. I can tell you I'm working on our house being a 1 income family so my wife can stay home when we have kids because family is first to us. My wife will work PRN part time.

Money never mattered, now it does so I'll be increasing my wages by 500% in the next few years to make this happen.

What matters to you. Make that happen.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Never once have I regretted not spending more time on my career, but I have definitely regretted the time it took away from my daughter. She's in her 20's now, lol, and I find myself teaching her stuff now that I wasn't able to when she was a kid, mostly cause I was always so darn tired !

Good Luck whatever you choose.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Can what you lose be made up for with money?

If the answer is yes, then take it.

If the answer is no, then don't.

I sympathize with your dilemma.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Before you do anything, listen to this:

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You already know the answer you seek Ketsuku. I can tell from your OP that you know the negative effects of going full time will very much inconvenience your life. If you do not need the extra money, then why are you even considering it?

It is up to you, weigh the benefits and negatives and remember, often it is hard to go back to your old position again.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I cannot stress enough how much toll two daily commutes in rush hour takes on a person's body and spirit. And it's one thing if you're commuting home at the end of the day and don't have anything scheduled, but if you're trying to get home by a certain time, prepare to spend the entire commute tense and feeling helpless and probably angry.

I spent ten years commuting into DC. When I later had a job that was ten minutes away through town, every day, rain or shine, I was AMAZED at what a relief it was.

Don't underestimate the commute thing when factoring all the pros and cons!

How old is your kiddo?

Mine is 19 and off in college in another state. They grow up SO damn fast! Man do I long for those days with him when I got to be in his presence every day. Every second with them is precious, even if at some ages the days feel endless, lol.

edit on 17-11-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Before you do anything, listen to this:

I should have paid more attention to that song before I decided to start a business. I have looked back over the years since my kids got grown up and saw they turned out just like me, always too busy. I did manage to turn it around somewhat but it was very hard to do. I learned to cook some good foods that they and their kids really like, so I have reentered their lives.

I was on the wrong track for many years, I knew my workers better than my kids.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Kiddo is 8. If he were just a few years older, this would less an issue. He could easily see himself off in the morning and watch himself for the hour he would be home max before his father got there. Of course, if he were a few years older, he'd be in junior high and our goal is to be moved into another district by them or have him back in a private school. The timing would be different.

As far as the drive. that wouldn't change at all. I drive the same route now. I only deal with rush hour traffic one way though. My second drive is during mid-afternoon. I used to do part-time where I worked 8 hour days for around 10-14 days/month. The dual rush never bothered me except the getting there. Going home wasn't an issue because I knew I wasn't pressed for time. Now, I will have some days where I am trying to make it before his 30 minute practice is done. If he practices on days that start at 6:15, that's easier, but I know from experience days that start at 6 are difficult.

I get some expanded hours every November and December thanks to holiday shipping hours. I'll get a couple full days this coming week in fact, and I'll have to possibly miss his practice on Tuesday.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join