It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Meals for Military Personnel on Veterans Day

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

No I didn't mean traffic stops. I meant they have the parades and they stop the traffic. Slightly different although I've been in those areas and people generally respect the silence.

a reply to: charlyv

Yes! 'Respect' is the key thing. For veterans AND serving personnel

a reply to: seagull

The silence sometimes has an eerie quality and especially when the old fellas are about who served in WW2, Korea, Falklands etc. As ever with modern times there's a media storm in a teacup about white poppies versus red ones. Nobody can leave anything alone anymore.

Most people want peace and appreciate how some wars are necessary. Even the very questionable wars can still have soldiers committing acts of great honour and bravery. The red poppy, to me, is all of that and more. It wasnever intended to be a high five for killing enemies.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Ahh!

Haha yeah that makes more sense.

The RSL usually does something but yeah, all the stops get pulled out for ANZAC day instead, dawn service, a march, bbq breakfast, and the only day where 2 up isn’t illegal.

edit on 10/11/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

It's great seeing everyone remember the day. "Lest we forget"

ANZACS were legends which is more than can be said for the leadership. "Run at those batteries and bullets until they get tired!"

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The term “baptism of fire” has never been truer.

I don’t think any of us could even begin to comprehend what must be going through those boy’s minds.

Have you seen this yet?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Not yet, but definitely will do. I've a book called 'All Death's Men' that's full of anecdotes from infantry on the Front in the Great War. Baptism of fire is true enough and also 'loss of innocence.' They all went away with dreams and came back disillusioned. One of my favourite passages is about two best mates who volunteered at 17 and fought in 1915 in the trenches. The first time they 'went over the top' they held hands. One of them was killed right there and the other told the story.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join