It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Theorize Interstellar Object Oumuamua Could be Extraterrestrial Solar Sail

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

Good post and I think it's just hubris to think we're alone in the universe. The universe is fine tuned to produce life just like it's fine tuned to produce stars, galaxies and planets. Whether that fine tuning is from God or 10^500 false vacua is another debate.

Also, there must be other observable pocket universes because our observable universe doesn't consist of all of expanding space. We simply can't see all of expanding space.

I've been saying this object has an artificial origin it's good to see this paper.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Good post and I think it's just hubris to think we're alone in the universe.

At this point, it's entirely hypothetical that there is life anywhere else. Call it hubris. Or call it simply accepting the current objective evidence.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

It's not a hypothetical.

We know a lot more about the universe today than we did 60 years ago.

We can reach very real conclusions about extraterrestrial life based on EVIDENCE.

We know about the number of exoplanets and there's more earth sized exoplanets than Jupiter sized planets. We know about liquid water on other planets and the building blocks of life found on comets and meteors. We know about microbial life and how life finds a way in diverse conditions.

Many Scientist from Hawking to Kaku has reached the conclusion that Aliens almost certainly exist BASED ON CURRENT EVIDENCE.

So I hate when people act like it's a guess when it comes to extraterrestrial life. At this point, there's way more evidence for the existence of extraterrestrial life than against it.

For example, there was more evidence that supported the existence of the Higgs Boson than there was against it even though there wasn't any direct evidence.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
It's not a hypothetical.

You and I have very different definitions of hypothetical.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The biggest problems are space and time. Given our current known methods of data travel from galaxy to galaxy, the Universe could literally be TEEMING with life, and the signals from those civilizations have either come and gone while we were still hitting each other with sticks, or may still be on the way here through the vastness of space..... Or, they are simply using means of data transmission we just don't even know how to look for yet.

People just don't realize how BIG space is, and the distances and travel times involved. Even if you broke the light speed barrier, you're still seeing some major hurdles here.

Personally, during my years researching UFOs as an amateur, I've come to believe that there are at least some entities out there, that are aware of us, but are keeping out of sight, for whatever reasons they have. But even if you think we've never been visited, it still doesn't rule out the very real possibility of life elsewhere, including sentient life.

Indeed, over the next few decades, I expect we'll find life (of sorts) on at least a few other worlds within our very own solar system. Whether microbes in the trapped water of Mars or the Moon, or strange ocean creatures under an icy crust of a Jupiter moon. I think we'll begin to realize that life isn't as much of a fluke as we currently think it is.

OR:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

In a nutshell, it was observed that Oumuamua did not slow down quite as much as it should have as it was leaving. That's what these guys are trying to explain as the behavior of a light sail. The trouble is that same behavior would cause it to not speed up quite as much as it should have as it approached.

As far as I am aware, Oumuamua was discovered on its outbound trajectory. That means that there is zero data about its motion when approaching the Sun (unless prediscovery observations have been identified).
edit on 6-11-2018 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have been wondering about this "rock". Either it's a very interesting example of what wonders drift among the stars or it could be something entirely unknown. Though from what I have read they didn't seem to be able to pick up any known radio signals from it though if it is some sort of probe from a sentient race of beings thousands if not millions of years a head of us technology and evolutionary who knows, it could be sending out signals we only imagine about or have yet to understand. None the less it's an interesting object.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
phys.org - Scientists push back against Harvard 'alien spacecraft' theory.

One says the Harvard paper is based on "numbers with large uncertainties" (the sigma is not met with the incomplete measurements made) which is a nice way of saying it is wrong. Another says, "show me that all other proofs on what this object is are wrong then recheck, then come back to this idea" because that is how science is done.

Anyway, they wish the "alien angle" was not pushed. But nobody pulled the trigger to start a twitter battle (in bottle, in a puddle, with a paddle).

Bummer. I wanted to see a real, live Nerd Fight Club!

Don't they know they can join ATS because there are plenty of members who know a rock when they see one!

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It's a function of technology - detection technology. Most people didn't believe in microbes until van Leeuwenhoek developed lenses for his microscope.

It's unfortunate that observers couldn't capture more data from Oumuamua, but we're just not equipped to gather that kind of data.

On the other hand, our current technology has amassed mountains of data suggesting that our universe is so diverse that it's almost a no-brainer that some forms of life are out there - and they've probably been there a lot longer than we've been on this planet. Not sure if we should try to attract them though - these guys want to shoot a laser into space to signal anyone out there that we're here: news.mit.edu... Be afraid for what you wish for???

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I previously suspected it was an alien craft, after hearing a scientist on the radio state that it had picked up speed on its own. I'm sure a lot of people did. It also bears reminding that the image of 'Oumuamua' is an artist's interpretation around the theory that it is an asteroid. This should go without saying, but I think people need reminding of that. We do not in fact know what the object really looks like, other than its cigar shape.

As many of us already know, cigar shaped UFO's have been witnessed in our skies on different occasions.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I was reading a reddit thread yesterday, and someone theorized, if Oumuamua is artificial, it's more likely to be a type of jettisoned booster rocket type device, that detached for final approach. Then they said... guess we'll find out if something comes in behind it. Ironically, I just noticed a thread on here about 3 asteroids coming our way now.

However unlikely, it's interesting about.
edit on 8-11-2018 by Zadiel74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zadiel74
I was reading a reddit thread yesterday, and someone theorized, if Oumuamua is artificial, it's more likely to be a type of jettisoned booster rocket type device, that detached for final approach.

I suppose jettisoning a large portion of your spacecraft in front of your path of travel might slow you down. But looking at the trajectory, it seems like it made a pretty good solar slingshot fly-by. So even if it was aliens, it probably was just passing through and didn't think we were worth slowing down to take a look at.

Snubbed by aliens again.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Well, it's because we are made of meat...obviously.

Be afraid for what you wish for???

I never shared Hawkings' fear of aliens.

Here's why. We humans always fight over ONE thing (and one thing only)....control of resources.

Now, we may "claim" other justifications, but when you get down to it, it always is about controlling resources (or controlling access to said resources, like trade routes, etc.).

Now, this same issue is not a problem for a species capable of interstellar travel.

Their access to resources is nearly INFINITE. Therefore, they simply don't have the same motivation we Earthbound beings do, to engage in warfare.

What would they fight for, on Earth, that they couldn't get elsewhere with no contest? Nothing. That's what.

So no, I don't think we have much to worry about from any interstellar beings we encounter. They simply wouldn't have a dog in the fight.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And before folks chime in about wars for religion. Stop. They are never about religion. Even the crusades were really about controlling trade routes.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Though i do agree there is probably alien life out there we can't say its true with any certainty. We could be the only life in the universe if something happened here that has never happened elsewhere. We have no idea how life was created or how difficult it is to do.

We can speculate since it happened here it happens in other places but that is still an assumption. Until we find another civilization we are a statistical anomaly.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Well, it's because we are made of meat...obviously.

All the more reason to check us out. Who would guess that a bunch of squishy meatbags like us could come up with such crazy ideas and machines?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Why isn't anyone questioning the "artist's rendition" ? How do we know it's not a rock? It could flat out be a spaceship. If we can't scientifically debunk if it's a sail or not, then why could it not be a spaceship? How did "spaceship" get eliminated from the list of what it could be?

There is a Ted Talk on Oumuamua and they said it was spinning in all sorts of directions, so how could a sail do that?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

There is a Ted Talk on Oumuamua and they said it was spinning in all sorts of directions, so how could a sail do that?
The tumbling is based on the fact that the light levels from the object were variable, a characteristic of tumbling objects in space.

The authors of this theory address it thusly:

Our inferred thin geometry is consistent with studies of its tumbling motion. In particular, Belton et al. ( 2018 ) inferred that ‘Oumuamua is likely to be an extremely oblate spheroid (pancake) assuming that it is excited by external torques to its highest energy state.
arxiv.org...

How did "spaceship" get eliminated from the list of what it could be?
Oh, it hasn't been eliminated, because it can't be. It's just a lot more likely to be a comet-like thing. But we'll never know for sure. How cool is that?

edit on 11/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think that Oumuamua is a streamer released by an in coming alien probe to get our attention. The probe will come in slower and further out in order to achieve an orbit around the sun. Form there it will continue to slow down and spiral down until it reaches earth. This streamer is supposed to motivate us to look for the actual probe. No doubt the probe is sending out signals at several different wave lengths. We just have to look for them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join