It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Proposal 1-Recreational Marijuana Legalization

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
**DISCLAIMER** - I do not smoke the devil's lettuce, crazy cabbage or wacky tobbacky.

Among many other votes happening in the coming weeks one in Michigan is at the top of my list.

Michigan Proposal 1

Proposal 18-1. A proposed initiated law to authorize and legalize possession, use and cultivation of marijuana products by individuals who are at least 21 years of age and older, and commercial sales of marijuana through state-licensed retailers.

I've been signing petitions for at least the past 10 years hoping for this to make it this far. Last time, all of the signatures were made, then they missed the deadline...silly stoners. There was also allegations that some of the signatures were forged or false.

Whenever something along the lines of legalization is brought up, the opposition is a very small voice, in my experience anyway. It's not hard to see why. Here is the site of the top opposition to legalization.
healthyandproductivemi.org...

They don't bring up any tangible proof as to why they are against it other than typical woe and fluff:

the only ones getting rich are the marijuana industry. State governments and society lose money whenever pot is legalized. Whether it is costs to employers, increases to social service costs, the rise in homelessness or the regulatory system created to manage the marijuana program, the marijuana industry doesn’t pay these costs. Instead, we all pay: citizens, employers, and state government. Thus, any revenue is outweighed up by the societal costs attributed to legalization. This is just like tobacco and alcohol, where costs far outweigh revenues.

I'll leave out my opinion of this statement as most folks here can see through the BS.

For comparison, Colorado's sales:
www.colorado.gov...
Over 5B in sales from roughly 700m since inception. All taxable.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Not a fan personally, I had enough of pharmaceuticals in my system growing up with a chronic illness that I can't imagine wanting to feel that way for "recreation " purposes. that and the fact that I have too much constructive things to do and too little time to do it, hence my aversion to tv, video games and pot/alcohol. Don't need to use that stuff to have fun anyway, would rather be in full control of my faculties.
Time will tell the ramifications...my bet is that the state with the highest car insurance will remain so, if not go higher. Thanks for that in advance.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

I had enough of pharmaceuticals in my system growing up with a chronic illness that I can't imagine wanting to feel that way for "recreation " purposes.

You certainly are allowed to do as you please. What about those folks with chronic illness that do not want pharmaceuticals? It's not only about being high, although that options is certainly viable. The same with alcohol.

I hear the car insurance argument, I really do especially living in MI. However, do the statistics reflect the justification? I think not. Although there will be little factual data and most folks may just see their premiums rise.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Good for this wishing the best for it to advance. In time and hopefully sooner than other states- some have been behind on this, possession convictions(that are obviously not amounts for sale), especially for medical use can be dismissed.

I haven't heard of insurance rising in any recreational legal states. Not to say insurance can't or won't take advantage but doubt it'd be a huge concern.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I am all for freedom of invidual personal choice. If others smoke weed, has no effect on me whatsoever. So long as it’s legal and I don’t have to worry about stumbling upon a dangerous marijuana dealer in an ally.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I think everyone on my block, including the 90 year old lady next door, had signed that petition to get it on the ballot this time. All of my neighbors support legalizing either way. It has considerably more support behind it than people realize, polls only show so much of the picture. That 90 year old credits the ample support upswing with Gen X & younger being less easy to BS with propaganda in the info age, and "my fellow controlling neanderthals dying off". She minces no words, I tell ya.

All 2 dozen voting age adults on this street will be doing their part to pass it next week

originally posted by: Zrtst
Not a fan personally, I had enough of pharmaceuticals in my system growing up with a chronic illness that I can't imagine wanting to feel that way for "recreation " purposes. that and the fact that I have too much constructive things to do and too little time to do it, hence my aversion to tv, video games and pot/alcohol. Don't need to use that stuff to have fun anyway, would rather be in full control of my faculties.

And I don't care for the hangover booze gives me, but I'm not about to make it illegal for those who do enjoy getting blackout drunk. What you call a fun time spent, the next guy would consider a dull waste of time. To each their own, but don't get preachy about it.

Time will tell the ramifications...my bet is that the state with the highest car insurance will remain so, if not go higher. Thanks for that in advance.

It would go up without pot being legal, they'd find a reason at some point for a hike. Like when they decided you had to have medical coverage on your policy regardless if state minimum, or full.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We have to get this passed, and from everything I have been reading, it will. GO VOTE MICHIGANDERS!

If for nothing else, but loved ones, like my mom, with Parkinson's.

Go Michigan!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

People who joint the weeds are drug fiends of the worst kind!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

From the top opponent of legalization:
healthyandproductivemi.org...

Here are some related facts to insurance increases:

One in five drivers are under the influence of marijuana, up from one in ten prior to legalization (Washington Traffic Safety Commission).

That means that 4 of 5 are under the influence of alcohol, or possibly a narcotic I suppose.

Since legalization in Colorado, there has been a 66% increase in marijuana-related traffic deaths (Rocky Mountain HIDTA)

Is this statistic only marijuana or are there other substances in their system?

States that legalized recreational marijuana saw an increase of 16% in average auto insurance premiums the year after legislation passed, as compared to the year prior.

This is to be expected. Business relies on changed markets to increase price/profit. Also worth mentioning is the millions dumped into politicians pockets every year to keep regulation on insurance lax.
www.opensecrets.org...

Colorado saw a 33% and Nevada saw a 40% increase in average yearly premiums within the year prior and year after legalization passed.

See above link.

edit on 30-10-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The high insurance rate is complete BS, and has nothing to do with legal, or illegal drugs in this state, but completely with our corrupt politicians.
We need to get rid of our career Politicians, fresh blood will be good for us. or at least send a message.
edit on 30-10-2018 by chiefsmom because: spelling all over the place.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

People who joint the weeds are drug fiends of the worst kind!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Protect the Doritos and Mountain Dew, won't you think of the Doritos and Mountain Dew?!?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom Nyiah

Happy to see my udder Michiganders here!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

And if you have them both? No reason to leave the house and be a "danger" on the road, doing 35 in a 55. LOL

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Damn, man, that's like an advertisement for Spring Break in Panama City. Who'd be scared off with those?

originally posted by: chiefsmom

And if you have them both? No reason to leave the house and be a "danger" on the road, doing 35 in a 55. LOL

Or when folks in the left lane on the highway are pushing 95. Damn speed demons up here, they need help slowing down.
edit on 10/30/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
continuing to throw money at an unwinnable war
would be insanity. We know what doesn't work,
maybe this will

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I live in Oregon.

When I retire, I plan on getting as high as a friggin' kite!

Can't now because I occasionally have to scrub in for surgeries and well, patient lives, yadda, yadda.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I thought you were an engineer?

....oh...skynet *rambles on incoherently*

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I live in Oregon.

When I retire, I plan on getting as high as a friggin' kite!

Can't now because I occasionally have to scrub in for surgeries and well, patient lives, yadda, yadda.

You work in the medical field??

This explains so damn much about you and Aug's relationship.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I thought you were an engineer?

....oh...skynet *rambles on incoherently*

I am. But with degrees in engineering and neurobiology I'm a bit of a mixed bag.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join