It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57 years ago today the largest nuke ever tested went off

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   
tsar bomba was tested on october 30 1961. depending on what source you read from, it was either 50 or 57 megatons

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: fightzone58
tsar bomba was tested on october 30 1961. depending on what source you read from, it was either 50 or 57 megatons

I bet some people at the time and even certain people at this time got/have wet undies at the front watching that...!

Fortunately the Tsar bomb was not dropped on two Japanese cities on August 6th and 9th in 1945 such as the saviours of world peace did and heartily clapped their hands as certain people are still doing nowadays.

Aaaaaand here come the usual comments from the armchair schoolyard bullies and armchair generals in 3... 2... 1... (or whenever they wake up depending on USA timezones and decide to gnash their teeth instead of cleaning them (humour)...

Kindest respects

Lagomorphe

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

the bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki - were - in my opinion - a nessecary evil . there was no civilised alternative

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: fightzone58

Wow!
You really went all out with putting together this OP.

You might want to pace yourself, wouldn't want you to wear yourself out.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   

British here, the Japanese were building large underground runway's and installation's which would have made an invasion of the Japanese mainland extremely costly, far more people would have died as a result had the war stayed non nuclear and even after the atomic bomb's many of Japan's generals wanted to continue to fight on to the death.

There is no doubt the bomb's were a crime against humanity BUT they were also a necessary action to bring about the end of the war with the least possible losses and they were also an inevitable development that would have been developed anyway with even the NAZI's at the end of there war shipping there nuclear research and several of there jet prototypes to Japan so that they could then develop the technology which I am certain they would have tried to do.

But once you've opened Pandora's box.

The problem we have today is that every tom dick and harry has them and these kid's should not even be allowed to play with sharp object's never mind atomic bomb's.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

the bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki - were - in my opinion - a nessecary evil . there was no civilised alternative

Nice comment...

And why murder so many innocents at that time?

Don’t you think that Diplomacy could have had an inkling of discussion?

And if not why in your opinion?

Warmest

Lags
edit on 30-10-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Dughhhh

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

But what were the Japanese actually shooting at?!?!

They couldn't have been mass nuking anyone.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

But what were the Japanese actually shooting at?!?!

They couldn't have been mass nuking anyone.

Muricans apparently with guns n stuff.

Ask the old timers on both sides.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

British here, the Japanese were building large underground runway's and installation's which would have made an invasion of the Japanese mainland extremely costly, far more people would have died as a result had the war stayed non nuclear and even after the atomic bomb's many of Japan's generals wanted to continue to fight on to the death.

There is no doubt the bomb's were a crime against humanity BUT they were also a necessary action to bring about the end of the war with the least possible losses and they were also an inevitable development that would have been developed anyway with even the NAZI's at the end of there war shipping there nuclear research and several of there jet prototypes to Japan so that they could then develop the technology which I am certain they would have tried to do.

But once you've opened Pandora's box.

The problem we have today is that every tom dick and harry has them and these kid's should not even be allowed to play with sharp object's never mind atomic bomb's.

But they didn’t did they!?

Brit here too.

There was no need for a MASS genocide at that time with 2 bombs.

One was enough and too much IMO mate

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The US wanted to test their new weapon and did so on two civilian targets that were spared any other conventional destruction to see how powerful the new weapons would be.

It was completely unnecessary. At that time, Japan had entered into surrender negotiations with Russia. The US did not like that and so killed women, children and the elderly because most able bodied males were away in the war.

The other option was an total blockade of Japan by sea. There were other options.

But the US wanted to show the world how much power they had and did so.

It was a crime against humanity.

P

edit on 30/10/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

It was only after the second bomb that Japan finally decided to surrender, the war had come home to them in a big way after they had terrorized and mass murdered there way across China, many nation's they invaded had welcomed them as liberators since they had been under European control but once they became established those nation's mostly found that they definitely preferred the European's to there new Japanese over lord's.

Korea was under Japanese control for a lot longer having been annexed long before the real start of the second world war with the invasion of China and story's told by Korean's tell of suppression, persecution of there own national and cultural identity's and worse and of course the Japanese and Korean's are first cousin's ethnically speaking.

That said I like modern Japan.

Some estimates of how long the war would have dragged on are to 1947 or even 1948 had the bomb not been dropped and many hundreds of thousands of more military and likely millions of civilian's would have then died or committed suicide.

edit on 30-10-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

It may be entertaining to realise, but the Americans did not conceive the notion of the "Bomb" being an actual build-able device....

Actually it was British scientists during the war, consisting of one learned Australian Nuclear Physicist by the name of Marcus Oliphant (later Sir Mark Oliphant), who encouraged the Americans to develop the "Bomb".
Indeed, Sir Mark was sent as a special envoy of the British Government, to Washington to convince the American politicians and war machine, to develop the Atom bomb, with British ingenuity of course, and perhaps use the bomb as a deterent.

The Americans, reluctant to develop a big bomb, were at the time, quite happy to continue with a conventional war, and conventional weapons, as of course, they were selling those weapons to the Allies, and making considerable $$$ as a result.
War = $$.

Sir Mark always regretted his involvement in showing the Americans how to build the Bomb, to his death bed.
en.wikipedia.org...

Either way, it created a nightmare, we still live through.

Perhaps we should heed one?? possible warning.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Nice comment...

And why murder so many innocents at that time?

Don’t you think that Diplomacy could have had an inkling of discussion?

And if not why in your opinion?

Warmest

Lags

Well, remembering all the atrocities that Japan committed against the Chinese, Koreans, and other people of the South Pacific. Just as terrible if not worse than the Nazis.

No I don't believe diplomacy would have been effective.

And I don't understand why Japan seems to get a pass for their crimes against humanity.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

It was only after the second bomb that Japan finally decided to surrender,

We can all agree that Japan in that era were horrible.

The first bomb was so effective that no communication was possible anywhere near the zone of destruction. It took days for the Japanese to understand the destructive potential and fat boy was deployed in the meantime. Once again, it was not impatience, it was a lack of understanding of the weapons capabilities.

P

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I have zero sympathy for ww2 japanese people.
They killed more people than Germany.
m.ranker.com...

Animals....i am proud we nuked em....twice.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

So what are your thoughts on the US intercepting USSR-Japanese communications where they were negotiating an unconditional surrender?

There is a very good chance they would have surrendered without that action.

Unless you are in the camp that believes it was a necessary message to send to the USSR for after the war.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Ask the Chinese how they feel about innocent Japanese being killed.

Those bombs saved more civilians than they killed.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: fightzone58

I''ve seen footage of this tsar bomba before and i only have three words...Jesus effing Christ.

If this was exploded about NYC...future generations would be asking 'what is a New York city?' I think the blast radius was about a 60 kilometers in radius, but i could be wrong.

I could go into specifics but i've had nightmares about thermonuclear attacks, maybe the strontium-90 affected my brain.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
I have zero sympathy for ww2 japanese people.
They killed more people than Germany.
m.ranker.com...

Animals....i am proud we nuked em....twice.

That logic seems archaic.

They didn't have a voice in what their government did.

That would be like saying we should nuke N. Korea/Iran because of their governments (even though they don't compare in terms of global destruction).

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

So what are your thoughts on the US intercepting USSR-Japanese communications where they were negotiating an unconditional surrender?

There is a very good chance they would have surrendered without that action.

Unless you are in the camp that believes it was a necessary message to send to the USSR for after the war.

The Russians were so sure that Japan was going to surrender that they invaded china and prepared to invade Japan.

And the bombs were definitely a message.

<<   2  3 >>

join