It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly apologizes for praising 'racist' Winston Churchill" - WaPo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Cant believe this hasnt been posted, I did search however.

Did not mean to offend by quoting Churchill. My apologies. I will go and educate myself further on his atrocities, racist views which I do not support. My point was we need to come together as one nation. We are all Americans. That should transcend partisan politics. -Scott Kelly on Twitter

www.washingtontimes.com... article

Disgraceful, bent to the whims of trolls. Twitter no less, the bastion of free thought and stuff?

The only Astronaut Ive met, was a hero until now.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
“ never, never, never give up “

Winston Churchill

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

These progressives are disgusting.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I’ll just let the man speak for himself .

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life ”

Winston Churchill

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

This just in from Winston Churchill.

Disappointing that Mr Kelly felt the need to apologise , I see social media justice warriors are as stupid as ever.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Twitter, the true face of today's liberal.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
I’ll just let the man speak for himself .

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life ”

Winston Churchill

"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

Winston Churchill-

on gassing people

Poison gas

Churchill has been criticised for advocating the use of chemical weapons - primarily against Kurds and Afghans.

"I cannot understand this squeamishness about the use of gas," he wrote in a memo during his role as minister for war and air in 1919.

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes," he continued.

on Gandhi
on peaceful fasting protest

"It is alarming and nauseating to see Mr Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir… striding half-naked up the steps of the Vice-regal Palace," Churchill said of his anti-colonialist adversary in 1931.

"Gandhi should not be released on the account of a mere threat of fasting," Churchill told the cabinet on another occasion. "We should be rid of a bad man and an enemy of the Empire if he died."

churchill simply rose to power because the combined western nations sought to rid a similar man with similar views who was on the enemy's side.
edit on 9-10-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

When I’m in a mood.

I like to go to Twitter and play whack a troll.

It gets my aggression out .

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Yea, he was probably hammered when he said that.

Kind of ironic he and Hitler shared some of the same views though.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I don't even bother. It makes my stomach turn when I see how disgusting those people are.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Shouldnt Yuri Gagarin be your hero?

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I know people were wronged. But it was a completely different time. Attitudes weren’t the same. Comparing the 1940s to our day and age . Is like comparing the beliefs during the inquisition to the beliefs of the Jehovah witnesses.

Do you think the founding fathers should be completely erased from history ? They were racist and some owned slaves .

Edit to your edit.

In 1919 Britain was fresh out of World War I where both sides used poison gas . The Kurds and many afghans fought with the ottoman empire and were enemies.

By the way when the ottoman empire broke up they screwed the Kurds. The Kurds still fight for independence to this day .

Context, context, context .
edit on 9-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Churchill was a great war time leader.
He was a crap peacetime leader.

Not making excuses for him but he was a product of his time.
Many leaders of nations across the world were racist.

Mahatma Gandhi is venerated today as the epitome of peaceful protest etc and highly regarded as a man of peace.

Gandhi thought Black people were sub-human and fully supported apartheid.

The PC Brigade, SJW's and Generation Snowflake conveniently ignore that little fact.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
“A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir.”

-Gandhi

“Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilised – the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals. Each ward contains nearly 50 to 60 of them. They often started rows and fought among themselves. The reader can easily imagine the plight of the poor Indian thrown into such company!”

-also Gandhi

A few more for good measure. Not as enlightened as everyone likes to think
consciousness.co.za...
edit on 9-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

They eat their own, so why apologize to them?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Shouldnt Yuri Gagarin be your hero?

I mean look at the difference...

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Stop that. Dude was Russian so he's pure evil.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yes, he was well-known for his alliance with the racist Adolf Hitler.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Cant believe this hasnt been posted, I did search however.

Did not mean to offend by quoting Churchill. My apologies. I will go and educate myself further on his atrocities, racist views which I do not support. My point was we need to come together as one nation. We are all Americans. That should transcend partisan politics. -Scott Kelly on Twitter

www.washingtontimes.com... article

Disgraceful, bent to the whims of trolls. Twitter no less, the bastion of free thought and stuff?

The only Astronaut Ive met, was a hero until now.

Pussy.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Still? Alright...

Did not mean to offend by quoting XX . My apologies. I will go and educate myself further on his atrocities, racist views which I do not support. My point was we need to come together as one nation. We are all Americans. That should transcend partisan politics. -Butterfinger on ATS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join