It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millionaire Sen. Chuck Grassley Applying For Trump's Farm Bailout Funds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Grassley issued a statement saying that the Trump administration had a “responsibility to help” farmers hurt by retaliatory tariffs

www.yahoo.com...

Now the senator is applying for those same bailout funds for his own 750-acre Iowa farm

How is this not a conflict of interest??? Oh and for those thinking this is just a Republican type of thing
don't worry, Democrat are jumping in the action too:

Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) is also applying for payments.

We are all being played, there is no Democrat versus Republican, it is Rich vs Poor, them against us

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh, and for those wondering, I have no ill will against the rich. I believe there are many fine people that have worked their way to success. What I do have a problem with is people using their power in government to line their pockets at the cost of taxpayers.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I don't support subsidies of any kind at the federal level. Both sides of the aisle have their hat in hand asking for money. The problem is once government start giving out money, it becomes harder to stop.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It is truly time to sweep the creatures from the swamp. They should be denied any claims and called out for the attempt to enrich themselves further.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Got to love the slant of the article title. Completely leaves out the fact Sen. Testor (D-MT) also applied for bailout funds.
edit on 1-10-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
My God !!!

Grassley has health insurance too !!!

😃⚖😃

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You'd be surprised how many farmers are "millionaires". Doesn't take much land to have a $1 Million net worth.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I have no problem with millionaire or billionaire farmers, the problem is the conflict of interest with the senators that help put pressure on for these things, and that this is basically corporate welfare.

www.yahoo.com...

The typical farmer, however, does not impact Trump administration policies the way senators can.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

You'd be surprised how many farmers are "millionaires". Doesn't take much land to have a $1 Million net worth.

And taxes on the same, yes.

A lot of them from land passed down from generation to generation, land either purchased for next to nothing or settled on to claim it. Then they spend a few generations improving it, making a living on it, then paying the government because they improved it and make a living off of it.

Then they are additionally taxed on it when their parents die and pass it to them.

Farmers are raped by the government in taxes, then when they get some money back from the government they are "subsidized."

It is a broken system that really needs fixed.

Sorry... a rant about the topic because it is close to my heart. I've family members that have to deal with it in California.

ETA... I find the OP funny in that the same people who scream about the injustice of doing something then cash out on it. Much like Pelosi damning the tax cuts and then rushing to take advantage of them.

Hypocrites, again...

S&F
edit on 1-10-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I come from a long line of farmers. You and I both know that these subsidies are not helping the average farmer. They are helping the megacorp farms.

My cousin gave up his dairy farm and I think this will be the last generation of farmers in my family for the same reasons you listed. Many farmers out east are simply abandoning their farms and farmlands because they can't keep up with taxes.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Lumenari

I come from a long line of farmers. You and I both know that these subsidies are not helping the average farmer. They are helping the megacorp farms.

My cousin gave up his dairy farm and I think this will be the last generation of farmers in my family for the same reasons you listed. Many farmers out east are simply abandoning their farms and farmlands because they can't keep up with taxes.

I agree entirely. The subsidies I don't like is the government paying you to NOT grow anything on your land or raise cattle there. So rich people buy the chunk of property (from the farmer who couldn't keep up with the taxes) and now they get a government check every year for letting it lay fallow.

WTF?

Why not help out someone who can prove that they were deeded the land in the late 1800's, have made a living there as a subsistence farmer ever since and just want to live the way they want to?

The whole thing needs revisited as far as the tax codes go.

edit on 1-10-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is part of the package that include insider information for stock market profits.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
All by design too. No room for the little guy in a billionaire’s world.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

As cities encroach on farmlands, the property value increases. If they were smart, they would sell this land and buy cheaper acres further out. It’s just how these things work. One has to change to fit the game. Not the other way around.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
!!!!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Senator Grassley isn’t doing anything illegal or wrong. That is all!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
My God !!!

Grassley has health insurance too !!!

😃⚖😃

Yes probably. Also at your/our expense.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Well , dang, they all should sell off and retire....

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Illegal no, wrong debatable but we would have to dive into ethics. Ethics haven’t existed in politics for a while now.

a reply to: Woodcarver

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Got to love the slant of the article title. Completely leaves out the fact Sen. Testor (D-MT) also applied for bailout funds.

Democrats NEVER do such slimy things, Silly.

But we are the ones peddling fake news........

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
At least Grassley and Tester have money.

David Valadao (R-Calif) has a net worth of, wait for it......

-$24,367,004.

How do you get THAT much in Debt? His Assets aren't even close to that, who the hell is lending him money?????

Link

edit on 1-10-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join