It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prehistoric art hints at lost Indian civilisation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Petroglyphs - have been discovered in their thousands atop hillocks in the Konkan region of western Maharashtra.

As anyone who has ever visited or lived there knows, India totally rocks

But seriously, this is just another bit of evidence to support what ancient Sanskrit literature and popular legend in India have long maintained -- that India's is a super-ancient civlization.

The Buddhist scriptures claim, in effect, that previous "historical" (or trans-historical) Buddhas lived and taught in central India, in areas known well to us today -- but which now, hundreds of thousands years later, are well-buried under millenial effluvia in the central plain, which drains all the rock and dirt from the Himalaya.

God only knows what might turn up if one excavated the ground to a depth of some hundreds of meters in the vicinity of some of India's holy places located in flood plains. My guess is, ancient monuments that make Egypt's look like cheap knockoffs.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

There is definitely the artistic aspect. Maybe that helps identify them. I can't help wondering if they had some symbolic quality as well. What were they trying to communicate and to whom?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Many of the petroglyphs depict animals from Africa like hippos and rhinoceroses. I think these animals may of at one time lived in India, but the people that made the petroglyphs may have come to India from Africa.

During the ice ages there has been continuous land extending from northeastern Africa to India. Indian lions, elephants and rhinocerous are still extant species -- similar to their cousins in Africa. The rhino is found in southeast Asia as well though mostly extinct, I believe. Several thousand years ago the Indian lion was much more common, now it is endangered. It was considered the king of the jungle there, just as in Africa, and like its cousin is a social animal.

Of course there were hippos in India, once upon a time! The hippo is a nasty, nippy creature, but quite adaptable. Billionare drug dealer Pablo Escobar brought some to his private zoo in Antioquia, Colombia. After Escobar's death the zoo hippos escaped into the local river system and have been breeding apace since then. They have become a nuisance and a danger to other species because of their huge appetites, and hunters have begun culling them in places.

So it goes without saying that in India's river plains, where it's hot and/or wet enough to support river habitats and abundant aquatic flora year-round, there could have been hippos once upon a time. I'm pretty sure if we released them into the Mississipi Delta or the Everglades, they'd thrive there too.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Trueman

You are right, It looks kinda like a Mayan calendar. Did other continents have cultures that made calendars like that?

This is called "El Sol de Echenique" (Echenique's Sun).

It was found by Hiram Bingham and sent to US (Yale University), but now is back in Cuzco. It's not clear the meaning of the symbols but the photo you posted made me remember about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Nice find! Gonna have to go all ancient aliens here, the last pic appears to resemble gears. That or, it's consistent patterns in communication not unlike portraying the Vimanas.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
I agree with you, so many missing pages in our human history that I feel has been wiped out. But, we are slowly recovering and analyzing from the past and just guessing on what was lost.

Not guessing, using the knowledge that we gain from each discovery to help us to predict where the next one can be made, the whole field of discovery is exploding exponentially as we speak. Some things we can never know, but we have enough accumulated knowledge to infer with some degree of accuracy. Additionally, advances in satellite and aerial imaging techniques mean that we can see beneath the surface and locate archaeology remotely meaning that we don't even have to disturb the environment to discover our past.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: KilgoreTrout

What does this mean?

And what does this mean?

Or even this?

No guessing allowed.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Looks like an early example of a Master of Animals

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Saturnschild

Yes the signs can be read but people would rather talk about a non-existent lost civilization, for example we have;

In those three cases examples of the water bearer sign known from Indus valley civilization, the constellation Aquarius.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Madrusa
a reply to: KilgoreTrout

Or even this?

No guessing allowed.

A jigsaw puzzle

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Thanks strong, I thought it looked Mayan also.

Any guesses what that is in the bottom image, right of center?

And in the image above that is the person holding 2 "animals" upside down by the legs?

Link to a Second Story on Daily Mail
Experts baffled by mysterious prehistoric civilization in India that left behind thousands of rock carvings - including pictures of animals native to Africa

The one on the bottom image right of center looks kind of like a flea if you rotate it 90°. Or maybe a Nautilus type creature.
edit on 10/2/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Not really good at speculating... but the last one instantly made me think of a floor plan or map for a city/building.

A2D

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

(clutches temples, throws a book at the person writing the news article)

...it's not a civilization. They didn't live in cities and they didn't farm and they don't have writing (the definition of a civilization.) They're a culture.

I know you think I'm being pedantic, but ti's like (for some of you) reading a news article where a handgun is being called an "assault rifle." There's a huge difference between cultures and civilizations and they have different possibilities.

(stomps off, shaking fist at reporter.)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saturnschild
Looks like an early example of a Master of Animals

Definitely a connection there.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

The lord established a shrine, a holy shrine, whose interior is elaborately constructed. He established a shrine in the sea/abzu, a holy shrine, whose interior is elaborately constructed. The shrine, whose interior is a tangled thread, is beyond understanding.The shrine's emplacement is situated by the constellation the Field

Enki and the world order

I think these raised relief geoglyph patterns also owe something to turtles.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

a reply to: Trueman

You are right, It looks kinda like a Mayan calendar. Did other continents have cultures that made calendars like that?

This is called "El Sol de Echenique" (Echenique's Sun).

It was found by Hiram Bingham and sent to US (Yale University), but now is back in Cuzco. It's not clear the meaning of the symbols but the photo you posted made me remember about it.

I can see why that image made you think of "El Sol de Echenique", thanks for posting it.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Madrusa
a reply to: toms54

The lord established a shrine, a holy shrine, whose interior is elaborately constructed. He established a shrine in the sea/abzu, a holy shrine, whose interior is elaborately constructed. The shrine, whose interior is a tangled thread, is beyond understanding.The shrine's emplacement is situated by the constellation the Field

Enki and the world order

I think these raised relief geoglyph patterns also owe something to turtles.

What is the shrine spoken of above?

Thanks for posting all the great images!

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
I firmly believe the biggest conspiracy theory of our time is the cover up of the actual timeline of human history by the archaelogical community

There is just so much that doesn't make sense if you look at the "official history" of the human timeline.

And so much to show the civilization may have been far more advanced far earlier than was first thought.

I agree with you, so many missing pages in our human history that I feel has been wiped out. But, we are slowly recovering and analyzing from the past and just guessing on what was lost.

No one really know what was on this planet hundreds of thousands of years ago, there would be not traces left.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I get what you and the scary dog are saying. No matter what you call the people that made them, they must of been advanced for their time to make these images. And there are so many of them spread around such a large area.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
I firmly believe the biggest conspiracy theory of our time is the cover up of the actual timeline of human history by the archaelogical community

There is just so much that doesn't make sense if you look at the "official history" of the human timeline.

And so much to show the civilization may have been far more advanced far earlier than was first thought.

No one really know what was on this planet hundreds of thousands of years ago, there would be not traces left.

Actually, yes, we do.

And yes, traces are left. We find campsites and living locations (rock shelters) of Australopithecus ... and that's 2 million years ago.

That's what's fun about archaeology -- it's "CSI Earth" and you get to use all the cool tools and libraries (and Abby Sciuto.) The things that people think they know about history and traces of ancient cultures underestimates the real dates (they are astonished at something 11,000 years old... when we've got stuff that's over 2 million years old.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join