It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of God, what do you want

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So what should the ideal gods traits be like
What and also why should any god act in this way according to your opinion

The Judeo Christian God operates from love and justice
These two traits are in my opinion Gods identity or at least how He likes Himself portrayed as

So what are the main traits a god you would serve should display, what must their traits be

And if you are an atheist, dont want a god, dont care, whatever
Dont reply, we get it, we dont need to hear about your opinion over and over and over

I dont believe my God is omniscient and I am fine with that, it started me thinking

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I'm not an atheist.

But I am convinced God is totally passive towards humans. Doesn't matter what traits God has because passivity towards humans is the trait that isn't really helping us out much.

God is all look and no touch.

edit on 19-9-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
There is a saying that "the Lord works in mysterious ways". Sometimes what you think maybe is a misfortune is really a blessing in the long run.

A few examples would be:

You find out that your spouse is cheating on you- good to know now you can avoid STD's especially HIV/AIDS and hepatitis.

That annoying person at the grocery store that delayed you 5 min from your agenda, just saved your life from a deadly car crash that would have happened if you left 5 minutes prior.

You gave up your seat on a airplane flight only to learn the plane went down and there were no survivors.

There is nothing more that I want from God, I trust in him.

edit on 19-9-2018 by Onlyyouknow because: Remove a misplaced w

edit on 19-9-2018 by Onlyyouknow because: Add thoughts

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow
There is a saying that "the Lord works in mysterious ways". Sometimes what you think maybe is a misfortune is really a blessing in the long run.

A few examples would be:

You find out that your spouse is cheating on you- good to know now you can avoid STD's especially HIV/AIDS and hepatitis.

That annoying person at the grocery store that delayed you 5 min from your agenda, just saved your life from a deadly car crash that would have happened if you left 5 minutes prior.

You gave up your seat on a airplane flight only to learn the plane went down and there were no survivors.

I lost my home and went through a lot of grief because I didn't get that job I really, really needed. 3 years later, the man who would have been my boss got arrested for "embezzling" tons of money from the Hospital. (He was their main IT person). Could I have been caught up in that? so I thank God now that He knew in advance and kept me out of that mess.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow

A few examples would be:

double post
edit on 19-9-2018 by TruthJava because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure He's got a fairly twisted sense of humor with a penchant for irony.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

Exactly, and he may have thrown you under the bus and you maybe paying for his wrong doings. Keep your heart pure, do nothing to cause you to not sleep well.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

a " god " that i would accecpt would have to display characteristics which trancend the fantasisies of men

none of the " gods " depicted by any religion i havve looked at - evven come close

PS - before replying - please understand what display means - and how it differes from described

oh - and yes - i read the little jibe that atheists should not reply - so i did - because - you do not set the rules for threads

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Yes, this was what i had in mind. It is like a dancing thing that doesnt touch anything. But then I decided it is more trusting in his creation so maybe it is all a destruction thing.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

edit on 19-9-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
on the other hand, what i want is a very personal relationship. like two lovers.he only cares about me and i care about him endlessly while you dont even exist in our world. and while you do you are only there to feel us better about each other.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

a " god " that i would accecpt would have to display characteristics which trancend the fantasisies of men

none of the " gods " depicted by any religion i havve looked at - evven come close

These are my favorite transcendental quotes if you are interested:

"O blessed Thomas, of course this visible light shines on your behalf - not in order that you remain here, but rather that you might come forth - and whenever all the elect abandon materiality, then this light will withdraw up to its essence, and its essence will welcome it." Book of Thomas the Contender

"For, lo, the eternal and sovereign Luminous space,
Where rule the unnumbered stars,
Is the air we breathe in
And the air we breathe out.
And in the moment betwixt the breathing in
And the breathing out
Is hidden all the mysteries of the Infinite Garden"
Essene Gospel of Peace book 2

"But before all things it is needful that the believer should look before at his ending and understand it in what manner it will come upon him, whether it will be vigorous and sober and without any obstacle, or disturbed and clinging to the things that are here, and bound down by desires." Acts of John verse 69

and the classic:

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:3-6

It is important to note that none of these statements have death as a requirement for the transcendental cross, or passover into the heavenly realms.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm not an atheist.

But I am convinced God is totally passive towards humans. Doesn't matter what traits God has because passivity towards humans is the trait that isn't really helping us out much.

God is all look and no touch.

and if he did some would complain there was no independence
what do you want, freedom or control, cant have both

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
A lot of criticism of the Biblical God is based on a version of this question; people have said "I can't believe in a God who doesn't match up to what I want to see."
In my opinion, it's the wrong question to ask, because the answer has no relevance to the practical issue of what kind of God actually exists.
When people are studying geography, do they ask themselves questions like;
What kind of shape should Italy be?
Would I prefer Alaska do be in a warm latitude?
Should the Atlantic Ocean be allowed to drown me if I fall into it, or it that immoral and therefore unbelievable?
No, they don't, because they understand that their personal preference doesn't have any bearing on these realities.
People also need to understand that if there is a God, he's not going to disappear just because he's not "the kind of God that I can accept."
Whether he rules the world or not is not our decision to make.

edit on 19-9-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

a " god " that i would accept would have to display characteristics which transcend the fantasies of men

none of the " gods " depicted by any religion i have looked at - even come close

PS - before replying - please understand what display means - and how it differs from described

oh - and yes - i read the little jibe that atheists should not reply - so i did - because - you do not set the rules for threads

Please feel free to reply, just not with the " I am an atheist and dont want a god"
I posed a question that required an answer, not a complaint

Thanks I agree, a God would have to transcend our fantasies because our fantasies have us being the centre of everything
That God would have to be bigger than our desires and be on our side through good bad and otherwise or is that fantasy?

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
i love it when he does things like that!

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I think if a person thought logically they would understand why God acted how He acted in the Jewish era.
I think they would also understand why He isnt so hands on anymore

I think God is logical and my faith is reasoned because, how God operates and why is reasonable

I see many people complain how God caused genocides in the Old Testament and complain, now God doesn't act and people complain
Strange creatures us humans

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

god wants us with our fantasies and with everything we are if we wanted the god with everything it is.it treats them like its own.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Yes, I've spent a lot of my thread-writing time trying to explain what God was doing in the Old Testament period.
I was doing that in the "God's Law" series. There is the idea of God as a teacher who teaches in gradual stages, recognising the learning speed of his pupils. There is the idea of God's work as a joint project between God and man, which is why so much of it is tainted with human failings.
But there needs to be a willingness to take in this kind of explanation. Critics are guided as much by their wills as by their reasoning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join