It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the " cultural approriation " delusion - its fatal flaw

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
From what I have noticed about the black culture in the U.S., it's seems to me that the black culture was once considered a sub-culture (ie. not main stream). However, no matter what era or aspect of the black culture, there were always white people who appreciated these aspects of the black culture.

Music as an example. Jazz music. Back in the 1930s, jazz was popular and many white musicians pursued jazz. It was initially rejected by many whites as negro music, and then when blues and rock developed from jazz music, the same thing happened. Regardless, jazz and it's related musical styles have remained popular, jazz is even considered an important musical style, a musical evolution if you will.

Hip hop came around and became rap, it too became popular all over the world. Rap culture was adopted by whites, in fashion, language, etc.

But there is a backlash from blacks and I can see their point. They try to create their own culture and no sooner do they come up with something different, everyone else seems to want it too. Personally they should be proud to have come up with the next new thing to become popular, it just seems that they can never keep anything they can call their own.

Whatever, if it starts in the U.S., or come here from elsewhere to become popular, it is or becomes American and as such it is ours. Why can't we just leave it at that?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Why in the world do they need to self segregate along racial lines to make up a new culture in the first place? The whole idea there needs to be a separate black culture is racist in and of itself. Instead of embracing prejudice and racism by insisting on separating themselves along racial lines why can't they instead stop being a freaking they and become a freaking us, and by us I mean just freaking human. I'm not sure what "white" culture is, I certainly don't think of myself as part of some culture of white skinned folk, the very notion I'm considered some kind of human subculture because I have a certain shade of skin is something I find ludicrous. I'm American, in the sense that much of what I like and dislike is influenced by where I grew up, but even in that sense, I'm not a clone of every other American. Take sports, some love sports, they tend to bore me, some are big into the bar scene, almost never there, I do love gaming, but mostly RPGs rather than things like Gears of War, etc. An individual really.

What is so good about self segregating oneself by and trying to define oneself by a skin color? I don't do it, and will fight the concept wherever it rears it's ugly head.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join