It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back street dive pubs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 14377
Wow, that's a silly piese of advice, your obviously in the US. In the UK if you went into a bar and bought a round of drinks they wouldn't treat you like a king they'd treat you like an idiot. They'd have the free drink off you then the next question would be "just what the f### are you after". Nobody and I mean nobody buys rounds of drinks in UK pubs, except if it's for your mates.
PS. I'll take that back. If you go into the yuppy pubs(those places where the clientele has more money than sense) it's a form of bragging rights to buy a round of drinks. Like "look at me I can afford to buy everyone a drink and I don't care".

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Freeborn
Yes, the best pubs in my opinion

My local is just the same, it's not a pub which many tourists would even notice, proper back alley down shady steps.
The paedo who got disappeared I mentioned in another thread was at that pub, not a pub to misbehave in, clear pecking order with men. My favourite pub, feels like going to a mates house.

I need pint there!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Lol yes, likely mugged outside as well!
Quid on the pool table is as far as I go showing my wealth

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru
Haha yes mate

I love my local, it's a world apart from tourist pubs, lock-ins as well if enough people are still up for it.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Only proper Pubs have lockins.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Lock-ins where you can smoke as well.
Of course if the cops call then everyone says it is a private party with no money changing hands.
I love it when the blinds go down and the ashtrays come out.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Been to one where you buy tokens before stop tap. Exchange them for pints until silly o'clock.
Best part was, the Heddlu popped in for a swifty as they "checked" the premises.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Nothing like a dark old bar with the smell of stale beer, old leather, and a old air conditioner blowing fog out of the vents. Thinking about it reminds me of an old haunt of mine on US-1 down on Marathon key.

I think I played in a dive on Marathon but it didn't have a name.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Haha, cops are rare here and they turn a blind eye to most things so long as the community is all playing nice and friendly.
The tokens idea is a mad one, never heard of that, but lock-ins are a great British tradition for sure.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

That's seems to be one of the differences between our two countries. I like to spread good cheer and make people happy.

It sounds like you guys feel the need to be stingy while carrying a chip on your shoulder?

There's no strings attached to anything I do. Because I've got money and they don't does not put me in a class above them. There's nothing wrong with the haves helping out the have not's. Have you ever heard of the term "pay it forward" ?

On a side note if you were ever in America and took my advice about southern barbecues . You would give up spotted dick and kidney pie for the rest of your life . Lol

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Nice story about a lockin. My mate owned a pub, about an hour into the lockin a local nutjob decides anybody looking at him want an,eerrr, altercation. He was forcibly ejected with a home going slap but when the door was shut he decides to take it out on the door and kicked it in.
As I'm a carpenter my mate fetched his tools out and I proceeded to re hang the door. While on my knees a nice pair of shiny boots appeared in front of me with the words "trouble lad" while having a gander inside. I answered " no it's alright I can handle it" wherein he walked away with " have a nice night". Which when I noticed it was a member of the local constabulary.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Southern BBQ's sound good to me, I'll visit the US one day and travel with my US friend to experience it.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Therein lies your problem.
They're not normally "have nots" just Locals.
Over to you Cornish ...

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
AH, your talking about food now .Tomorrow night I'm going to a birthday bash at anew place called Hickory Smokehouse ,I'll let you know how it goes.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Therein lies your problem.
They're not normally "have nots" just Locals.
Over to you Cornish ...
Lol hell yeah, there will be 'traders' in every local pub who have more cash money than I ever will haha.
Even the old boy I bought smuggled baccy off today had what looked like a good few hundreds of quids worth of pouches in his bag.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

" Pay it forward" Some people especially in dive bars don't have a lot of cash on hand. They aren't offended when you help them. Over here where people are nice, most of them raise a glass to you, some of them come over and thank you personally .

Is your position that it's bad to buy a round of drinks ?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
AH, your talking about food now .Tomorrow night I'm going to a birthday bash at anew place called Hickory Smokehouse ,I'll let you know how it goes.

Don't forget a handy wipe . Lol

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I stand by previous comments, both mine and other Posters.
In the UK, espescially in such Pubs, buying a round for everyone that you have never met just looks flash.
I tell you what, don't take my word for it. Just try it sometime and report back on here.
A British Pound to a Penny it will not go well.
This is in no way a slight, just an observation and friendly advice.
I have had the opportunity to spoil my Friends on various occasions but they were known to me.

edit on 5-9-2018 by Cymru because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Personally I tend to end up at biker bars. I grew up around motorcycle clubs and I feel welcome there, and as a woman I feel a lot safer at a biker bar than at your average pub or sports bar.

Last time the hubs and I went out specifically to go to a bar we went to first a pub and then a sports bar- and didn't feel welcomed at either. I suggested we try one more time and stop at a biker bar we had passed along the way, and we had such a blast we stayed there the rest of the evening.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I stand behind my position that I've never heard a complaint when I bought around in the US. I have no problem sharing.

Would you buy a begger dinner when he is obviously hhungry ? I've done that before too.

Is that taboo in England? Because I don't see much of a difference between the two .

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join