It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockwell Silent Night and other unbuilt projects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Coolest unbuilt project?

I've always liked the North American Silent Night concept, the Mcdonnell Douglas Quiet attack, the Boeing Quiet Bird..and other 1960's/ 1970's concepts

What's your favorite unbuilt concept?

Mockups count as unbuilt..
edit on 3-9-2018 by CrownCartwheelCreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I would go with the The North American XF-108 Rapier

the Boeing X-20 Dyna-Soar

and the Supersonic Low Altitude Missile. THE MISSILE FROM HELL

edit on 3-9-2018 by Drunkenparrot because: Added likks and pics

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

The McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II

Artists’ conceptions and mockups of the craft revealed a flying wing design in the shape of an isosceles triangle, with the cockpit situated near the apex of the triangle. The aircraft was designed to have two General Electric F412-GE-D5F2 turbofans, each producing about 13,000 lbf (58 kN) thrust, and was equipped to carry up to two AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles, two AGM-88 HARMs and a full complement of air-to-ground ordnance, including Mk 82 bombs, or smart bombs, in an internal weapons bay. The A-12 gained the nickname “Flying Dorito”.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The F-19 for me.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Great choices. The Russians claim to have a similar missile..

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

There's (supposedly) a similarly shaped airframe in operation and (possibly) a few of them at NAWS China Lake

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Which one? ;-) The F117? THAP? LAP? CSIRS? Or..?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrownCartwheelCreed
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Great choices. The Russians claim to have a similar missile..

Don’t think I’ve heard talk of a SLAM equivalent from Russia, there’s the nuclear cruise missile but that’s a whole ‘nother ball of wax I don’t think it’s supposed to be a Mach 3 or multiple warhead system.

Didn’t dynasore fly subscale?
edit on 9/3/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

They have a nuclear powered supersonic cruise missile. Not sure on payload/max speed.

www.cnbc.com...

Dynasoar is said to have ended around the same time Isinglass started so...maybe.. there was some sort of demonstrator/ flight...

edit on 3-9-2018 by CrownCartwheelCreed because: autocorrect

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
North American XB-70 Valkyrie

I guess they built 2 of these. But they never deployed it. And they crashed one of those.
-dex

edit on 9/3/2018 by DexterRiley because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

It's the project pluto equivalent called Burevestnik. Been discussed on this forum and in the Military Projects forum several times now. Theoretically, infinite range, but single warhead.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now back to the regular topic:

As for the A-12, I'd have loved to have seen a Nimitz deck with 20 A-12s, 14 F-22Bs, 24 F/A-18E/Fs plus Growlers and whatnot. Alas, it didn't work out that way. Then let the F-23 go to the USAF. Then we could have had a JSF that just had the USAF and USMC in it which would have probably reduced the price at least somewhat.

There would still be an independent McDonnell Douglas then and Boeing would have been only in the tanker and transport business. Whither Northrop? IDK. Bombers and UAVs, I'd guess.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Beautiful planes. :-) And the (speculative) basis for others..

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Agree..would be quite the carrier deck. And..everyone loved the F-23. Including, it would appear, LM.

As far as McDonnell Douglas... I am friends with John McDonnell's wife. They are happily involved in other(non aerospace) ventures. Anne is quite active with redeveloping the Soulard area of St Louis and John stays busy on several boards. Both are active in the charity realm..

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

And you know, General Dynamics might still be in the fighter industry. Between the A-12 and the F-16, they might have had enough to keep them interested. And Northrop would have had the F-23, even if it was cut short, plus UAVs and the B-2.

At least on the aircraft side of things, it looks healthier as a procurement ecosystem/industrial base than today.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This one for sure LOL

or

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I personally like the Convair KingFish but my scientific wild ass guess says its going by another name. Then theres always the thing that was told would float out of the hangar one day and ATS would melt...twice.

i.imgur.com...

edit on 4-9-2018 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

Beautiful plane, eh? And that newer concept looks strangely familiar. Have you read this?

www.thestar.com...

edit on 4-9-2018 by CrownCartwheelCreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Wouldn't be surprised if Kingfish/her derivative flew. The CIA's next high speed aircraft project after the A-12/ Kingfish was named after a glue made from fish...

top topics

join