It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethics, vegan life choices..unethical ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

...This is why I don't walk away from my desk. I literally typed this, got up to grab some coffee and take a piss, finished and clicked submit and now find I parroted you 20 minutes after the fact...

This must be how fans who went and saw "Battle of Los Angeles" instead of "Battle: Los Angeles" felt.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: dollukka

You forget all the massive pounds of vegetables needed to feed animals. Most of the corn production is for animals for example.

To blame anything on the tiny population of vegans is absurd.

No idea where this hate for vegans comes from....

Curious you mention that. I read where their feeding dairy cattle seaweed now to stop or slow the flatulence. Good idea ? Mercury and radiation, heavy chemicals, from all over the world dumped as sewage into the same place the said seaweed grows ?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Ridiculous. As a vegan of 27 years I pretty much never speak of it to anyone. It's personal politics. You know who I have encountered as the biggest wanna-be righteous loudmouths after all these years... certain non-vegans that are immediately aggressive just hearing that I am vegan (again, I don't advertise it, this would be just in passing when ordering food or sorting out choices at a bbq or something). They are instantly wanting to fight about it & instantly acting like a cornered child with insecurity issues. Almost like clockwork I start hearing lines about "Oh I so love delicious blood-dripping steaks where you can see the muscle fibers and marks from the toothy knife searing through" and all the other attempts at offending me. Heard that boring insecure approach countless times, it isn't gonna work. Go eat your steaks. Whatever.

That's been the reality, as an actual vegan.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Relax, then you're not the stereotype I'm talking about. There is no advocacy group picketing, protesting, and threatening vegetarian restaurants, farmer's markets, or wild berry pickers in this country, but there are groups like PETA who openly wage war against omnivorous humans. You can't deny that, between the two groups, ethical vegans have a longer list of attention whoring and trying to force others to join them through shaming and harassment.

I love the fact that there are vegans (so long as they remain silent). Supply and demand... less rats, more cheese, and prices stay manageable.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Where very cold climates and baselayers are concerned, there is no substitute for real wool, period. Science has given us a couple of synthetics which retain their own heat storage capabilities when wet, same as wool does, BUT those storage capabilities aren't as high as wool to begin with. Plant based fibers do not retain their heat storage when wet... cotton kills.

If you start getting away from sheep wool and looking at musk ox qiviut (musk ox wool) the difference between it and even the finest synthetic is even more impressive. You can throw on a pair of qiviut lined mittens in 30 or 40 below zero and your hands will sweat.

Hi Burdy,

You touched on some thing very important there. As an example, in the Arctic, you either eat meat and fish or die. Particularly 100 years ago. You wore the skins to keep warm. Boiled blubber and used fat for warmth and light.

On a different aspect. In the vast deserts here you hunted lizard, bird, snake and if lucky, got a kangaroo. In the colder months the people used to huddle and sleep over hot coals.

In both cases, no place for vegetarians or vegans. The subsistence for for those choosing to eat vegetarian relies solely on the climate they live in to grow their own or purchase from an organic certified supermarket.

Organic vegetables here cost much much more than even home grown vegetables. This is the certification.

Now my free range chook eggs and vegetables can't be certified as organic because now and then I use waste to compost and feed the chickens. The waste can't be certified. Most occasions I give my produce away but for vegans, they won't accept it even for free. So here I am recycling waste but because it may or may not have come from an organically certified farm or market I have to recycle the waste again. Worm farm or composting. Even the chook and geese poo is not organic because they may have eaten some of the food I got from the supermarket or waste canned food.

This is so ridiculous to me but not to those who make an industry out of it.

My rant.

Kind regards as always,

bally

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I just bought a yarn beard on Etsy. "Delicious Yarn Beards" or just "Delicious Beards", from Mololla, Oregon. I'm using mine for a musical production, but others use them (I guess?) for snowboarding, etc.

If you're serious about a yarn beard, check them out. I love mine.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

So we're all doomed to stereotypes? Funny how none of your arguements bring up any factory farming practices. A reason why many vegans become vegan.

At least vegans are protesting cruelty to animals.. what are you doing? Writing paragraphs about vegan stereotypes?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Possible. That's another reason I became vegan. Finding cruelty free, properly fed animals was a pain in the arse. I used to take fish oil and was getting headaches. Stopped the fish oil and now take plant based omegas. Just so hard to find animals that aren't being screwed with in some way.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

"So long as they remain silent". So 98-99% of the population can rave about bacon on ice cream and write songs about hamburgers, but the protesting 1-2% against cruelty to animals should remain silence?

I see stupid "I love bacon or meat" shirts constantly, but I somehow should keep my beliefs against the torture of animals quiet. I should not argue the philosophy of ethical animal practices?

A pathetic post, a wish to silence the small minority who want animal rights. Only looking at a vegans for a monetary reason, "prices stay manageable".

You have to "attention whore" to change people's minds. Otherwise factory farming will continue as usual. Should homosexuals have been kept quiet during years of oppression because "attention whoring" would be to bothersome for you?

Such an empty post. The tiny group of anti-cruelty towards animals wages war against the over-encompassing meat eating majorty? SUCH a threat to the multiple meat lobby groups with billions of dollars.

edit on 1-9-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

If greed was taken out of the equation there wouldn’t be an issue. Like everything else wanton greed drives unethical practices.

There seems to be a growing awareness of this though and a growing demand for free range and organic animal products.

What we need and what everyone should demand are ethical and sustainable farming practices.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

You touched on some thing very important there. As an example, in the Arctic, you either eat meat and fish or die. Particularly 100 years ago. You wore the skins to keep warm. Boiled blubber and used fat for warmth and light.

Yes they took what they needed from nature. People keep picturing this ideal life for animals, what I have found is that they refuse to LOOK. They judge issues without wanting to see the reality of today's abuse of animals used by humans.
Farm Ireland, Irish sheep farming news

WOOL production today

Refuse to SEE? To much of your TIME?

edit on 1-9-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

LOL! Case in point, thanks for living the stereotype.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join