It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[TCD2018]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The sheriff pulls me into the courtroom, and all eyes turn to me. I'm stumbling in the chains placed about my ankles, trying to roll my feet as I walk so they don't bite into me. Still, I am aware enough to gauge the mood of the room. It's more or less what I expected, but a bit better than what I'd hoped for.

To be sure, plenty of the people are staring at me with hatred. Hell, I couldn't even hire a lawyer to defend me. I sure as hell ain't gonna let the public defender speak for me though. I told him as much before I blew him off. But there's also people who remember one of our countries motto's: "innocent until proven guilty." These are looking at me, some curious, some scrutinizing. What I don't see, however, is empathy.

Which, to be honest, is just as well. Empathy would only hurt my case, seeing as how I did do the crime. No, what I need to do is reason. To appeal to the jury, and the judge if I can; to remind them that law is never black and white. That the human factor can cross that little line from many angles, not all of them evil. I need to speak of the motives and circumstances which lead to the crime, in the hopes that they can see more than just the law which I broke.

The first thing I say, when the judge passes the moment to me, is "May I speak, your honour?" The judge seems vaguely surprised, but nods, motions me to the stand. The sheriff leads me, less rough in front of all the eyes. "Thank you, your honour."

I then cast my eyes about the courtroom, meeting the gazes of the jury, and the crowd. "You've gathered here today to witness and participate in the process of law, which we think to call justice. But when we process cases of law, we must endeavour not to be machines, seeing only black and white, unfeeling, unbending to reason and circumstance.

For, undoubtedly, there are cases for which exception might be called. A man, stealing food to feed the hungry mouth of his newborn babe, because he got fired from his job and can find another. A woman, killing the man who raped her, then turning herself in. And let's not forget the crimes sanctioned by "war" and "peace" both. My point is, a strict view of law yields only two outcomes, innocent or guilty. But the truth is a lot more gray. So I ask of you, not to empathize, but to remain open.

Did I commit the crime? Yes. Yes, I brought a gun to work and killed two government officials. But what you don't know, is that those men were-", the secret never got spilled, for just at that moment, a bullet slipped between his eyes, shattering his skull open. In the chaos and confusion that erupted, the perpetrator slipped of the room, nodded to the sheriff's that had been paid off, took a couple of turns at a brisk pace, then began to walk like, for all the world, nothing had happened.

For who would believe a senator with no visible ties to the murdered officials, would murder a defendant? Not many, just as the mans story would have been perceived as the fabrication of a madman. Who would believe that an organization within the government, the military, and certain corporations would have developed technology to infiltrate people's minds, to implant certain ideas, to remove certain beliefs, even to flood with a tide of various emotions or errant thoughts. Still, the president had wanted no chances take. He walked outside, was shot to death by a hired gun, who also shot three other people. There, now the slate was clean, the smoking gun passed off. Nothing left to chance.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

clean slate - no crime. well organized. where did you learn these tricks?

thanks for a good read

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lucia2389

Nothing specific comes to mind as a reference, lol. I just write what I hear
glad you liked it!

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Well done!

Dark justice.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

S&F reminded me of Kennedy a little.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Thanks DB, Tarzan. Glad you enjoyed this

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Beaut mate. Thanks for your help.

Knock knock on the door? Very believable.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Well done and probably more truth in the mechanics of an end than fiction..

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Thanks Bally

a reply to: 727Sky
Of an end?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
Thanks Bally

a reply to: 727Sky
Of an end?

Like in getting the end results of what is desired.. No lose ends to have to cover up because there are no witness alive or anyone who someone can directly connect to the crime and cover-up.. I should have done more explaining ...sorry like I said great story

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   

That was really really neat, and I was able to s&f it too

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
No need to apologize, 737Sky!

a reply to: SprocketUK
LOL. Thank youuuu

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Good one! I like it.