It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LeBron Opens School in Hometown.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It makes more sense to me to put politics aside when it might provide an opportunity for others, but call me crazy

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I seen him on tha news smiling ear to ear and wearing some glasses.

Pretty cool!

I do wonder how the new findings that students learn and respond better in school to teachers of the same color how that will play into the education system.

www.npr.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

It makes more sense to me to put politics aside when it might provide an opportunity for others, but call me crazy

But can you really separate the two if you actually care about results? It really isn't even so much politics, but policy.

I applaud him for stepping up. I wish more people would step up. However, if we care about results and not just virtue signaling, we also have to ask if we are going to get the results desired.

Money and resources really aren't the issue.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I do agree with you to a point, especially that LeBron could and should not have opened the school without first ensuring it followed the policies and regulations already in place regarding education.

But I, personally, have all but lost my faith in our politicians' ability to promote positive change and would love to see more people going directly to the community rather than appealing to our government for help.

Let's see how it goes!

edit on 31-7-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I do agree with you to a point, especially that LeBron could and should not have opened the school without first ensuring it followed the policies and regulations already in place regarding education.

But I, personally, have all but lost my faith in our politicians' ability to promote positive change and would love to see more people going directly to the community rather than appealing to our government for help.

Let's see how it goes!

So you left the Democrat party?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Independent, as I've always been (since the Bush/Kerry election). Libertarian at heart without any candidate I can stand behind.

Voted Jill Stein (I know, I know the Green party is highly govt dependent but I couldn't bear to vote for Hill).

What about that is Democrat?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just messing with you...

I am independent/libertarian.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

It's a step in the right direction.

This problem is far from simply school. It goes back to the home and you have to change that culture in order to see solid and steady gains in the school. Whether or not this will be enough? Who can say.

I wish them the best.

The thing is that this type of program is the sort that works best in limited fashion. If it succeeds, it will do so on a limited basis in this one school, maybe two or three. The government won't be able to swoop in and copy it en masse. This is the reason why local control and parental control and choice are so necessary over factory approach schooling.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I give 100000000% respect to Lebron here is why.

There are many celebrities that take their huge money and spend it overseas (talking to you Oprah)

Maybe the school will work, maybe it won't, but at least Lebron is trying to make a difference in his neighborhood. If his
money changes the lives of even 10% of the kids, it has served it purpose.
He knows more than anyone what that area lacks. He was given a gift to rise above it and he is using that gift to really try to make a positive change.

What I find sad, really really sad about some of the posts on here is that some people believe that there is no hope for any of these kids. There is always hope!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It could work. It wouldn't be too different from that academy in one of the coastal cities where it's all boys and they dress every day and strict "yes, sir" "no, sir" style discipline is enforced. I forget what they're called, but they work but they're also only a limited program.
edit on 31-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The thing is that this type of program is the sort that works best in limited fashion. If it succeeds, it will do so on a limited basis in this one school, maybe two or three. The government won't be able to swoop in and copy it en masse. This is the reason why local control and parental control and choice are so necessary over factory approach schooling.

I completely agree with you. I really think that positive changes can be made, and that they need to be made on a local level (with the community's blessing and participation) first and foremost.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I love this! This goes beyond giving these kids a fish... he's teaching them to fish. These kids are being empowered in ways they cannot even understand yet, and it's probably the greatest gift anyone could receive -- or give.

Good for LeBron! I wish them all the brightest blessings.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You're exactly right the school is pretty but not the solution. Young black men need to be taught that education is the way out of poverty.

you're just a piece of work aren't you...

presumably poor whites know the way out of poverty is education, and thats why 35% of low income aren't whites
edit on 31-7-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You're exactly right the school is pretty but not the solution. Young black men need to be taught that education is the way out of poverty.

you're just a piece of work aren't you...

presumably poor whites know the way out of poverty is education, and thats why 35% of low income aren't whites

Education and valuing education are part of the culture you are raised with.

There is a certain culture that does not value education. The people who have that culture become mired in generational poverty. Look around you at which groups are most likely to be mired in generational poverty, and you know which ones have embraced that culture.

Whites are becoming increasingly likely to embrace that culture or more whites are being born to whites who have embraced that culture and are therefore raised to it themselves. Take your pick, but they're still behind some other groups in this nation.

And whites as a whole are falling behind Asians in how highly they value education. They have to discriminate against Asians to keep them from being almost a majority at Harvard.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

But can you really separate the two if you actually care about results? It really isn't even so much politics, but policy.

I applaud him for stepping up. I wish more people would step up. However, if we care about results and not just virtue signaling, we also have to ask if we are going to get the results desired.

Money and resources really aren't the issue.

quit murdering the non sensical term of virtue signaling...

he's not just throwing cash and say educate kids, hes instituting programs which will alleviate certain stressors preventing kids from focusing in school....
like providing for those who need and free ged classes for parents whom so choose and even full scholarships to college.

money and resources are the exact issues.
parents lack money for education, children are affected negatively . hes not only throwing money for the kids, hes going deeper and aiding the actual households.
stop trying to appeal to certain types here on ats. it doesn't look good on you at all.

James' school will look slightly different than other public schools. The hours will be from 9-5. The school year goes from July 30 to May to eliminate what experts call the "slide" that occurs during summer vacation. Through the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, the I Promise School will also help provide food for families who may not be able to provide proper nutrition. There are after-school programs to keep kids from getting into trouble when the school day ends.
Kids who graduate from high school and follow certain classroom criteria can also earn a four-year scholarship to the University of Akron, which James has also partnered with.
There is also a program for parents to earn their GEDs and continue their education

edit on 1-8-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

please elaborate, what groups and where are you getting your info from?

links please...

if the stigmas are repeated long enough it becomes truth i suppose....

historically, the attrition rate for black Americans in schools hasn't never been this low.

its just people like you who keep conveying and projecting this falsehood and diminishing any and every attempts blacks do to educate themselves...
because when they do get in a good school, its only because they're black they got in... if they dont go to school its because they're black and hate education....

its a no win situation as long as you all keep pushing this tripe.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is a funny saying

We are called A-sians, not B-sians. No but seriously, i'm part Asian and if you brought home anything other than an A get ready for a beating. I am not kidding. If you brought home an A, you would be asked why you didn't get an A+. If you brought home a C or anything lower get ready for all hell to break loose. I wish I were kidding

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Here

First, instead of emphasizing the kinds of racial differences that economists and sociologists usually study (parents’ economic resources, parents’ position in the occupational hierarchy, parents’ exposure to formal education, and parents’ living arrangements), successful theories will take more account of the factors that psychologists have traditionally emphasized (the way family members interact with one another and with the outside world, for example). A good explanation of why white five-year-olds have bigger vocabularies than black five-year-olds is likely to focus on how much the parents talk to their children, how they deal with their children’s questions, and how they react when their children either learn or fail to learn something, not on how much money the parents have.

Second, instead of looking mainly for resource differences between predominantly black and predominantly white schools, successful theories will probably have to look more carefully at the way black and white children respond to the same classroom experiences, such as being in a smaller classroom, having a more competent teacher, having a teacher of their own race, or having a teacher with high expectations for those who perform below the norm for their age group.

It goes on to note that successful theories will have to pay attention to culture because none of the other possibilities have thus far neatly explained anything.

Both school desegregation and eliminating academically selective classes at desegregated schools have aroused strong white resistance because of the perceived cost to white children. But these policies would not do blacks much good even if whites were willing to adopt them. The most promising school-related strategies for reducing the black-white test score gap seem to involve changes like reducing class size, setting minimum standards of academic competency for teachers, and raising teachers’ expectations for low-performing students. All these changes would benefit both blacks and whites, but all appear to be especially beneficial for blacks.

In other words, we have to stop blaming everything else and start holding them to account for their performance. This is one of the things this school aims to do along with following up in the home environment. Performance is more than just academic. At this point, they need structure in their home lives too.

Research also suggests that black-white differences in parenting practices contribute to the test score gap. Improving parenting skills may therefore be as important as improving schools.

There you are, research suggests that bad parenting makes for bad school performance and that's not just for black kids.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Big shout out to Lebron. Those with the means should help out the less fortunate.

In this case it's about giving people opportunity. Lot's of poor kids from poor areas, have less opportunities. Areas hard hit be economic down turns usually have less funding for schools or programs that give kids an opportunity.

Time and time again, we've seen that when you give a kid an opportunity and hope, they prosper.

Also in this case, when you start a school/program, you take stress off of all the other schools and programs. It's a win/win all the way around.

That's really what people want and need--hope and opportunity.

A lot of negativity on this thread already. Why? LOL Some people are never happy. You guys crack me up. Some people are negative about Lebron because he doesn't like Trump. LOL Who cares? Why do you care who someone voted for and who they dislike? Take the Good, like this and move on.

I don't like Trump or Hillary, if I gave out some free programs to those less advantaged today from my business am I going to piss off all of you on this thread because you're self Identifying liberals and Conservatives? Get over yourselves and turn off the news. Celebrate the good things in life.
edit on 1-8-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join